Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 09:58 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
A person started a thread about studying with a JW, and she wanted some advice on studying with a JW co-worker. So I gave her my advice, and while giving her my advice I became lead to start a thread for anyone who is thinking about studying with a Jehovah's Witness.

If you have encountered a JW, their main motive is to recruit and invite non JW co-workers, friends, and family members to their weekly meetings and home based bible studies. The home based bible studies are typically held conveniently at the new recruits home. They typically will make frequent house visits bringing other recruits with them to study their publications with you. So, they make it quite easy for you not to have an excuse to study with them. I know this because my mother in law is a devout JW. I have seen them come to my house to have bible studies with my family.

JWs have a publication that they are using with new recruits. The name of the publication is called "What Does the Bible Really Teach? When being introduced to this book by a JW, who wouldn't want to study what the bible really teaches? To me, it's a clever title to spark one's interest.

Thus, it's an effective publication to get people, who really have no point of reference or any biblical knowledge to challenge them on certain doctrinal topics when they come up in this publication. The publication, in my opinion, is written to make you question traditional Christian beliefs against theirs, while also, cleverly indoctrinating you to believe their teachings as Scriptural.

I have read the publication, and being a serious bible student, the book is strictly written to slowly get you to believe that the traditional teachings of the church is demonically influenced and that any form of worship outside of what the JW organization teaches is not true worship. Again, this book is strictly designed to steer you away from believing orthodoxed church teachings to believing basically what their beliefs are.

Once you have bought in and completed studying "What Does the Bible Really Teach" publication, then they will introduce you to another publication that will even indoctrinate you more about their beliefs and why now you shouldn't be wanting to attend church anymore nor be around family and friends who are discouraging you from studying THE TRUTH. The name of the next book is called "Draw Closer to Jehovah." Also, you would hear your bible study teacher say this a lot about being in the truth, and how Jehovah has opened up his or her mind to this truth, and that your studying with him or her is a blessing from Jehovah because He wants to steer you to the truth as well.

In addition, after going through a series of their other publications, and once you have finished studying them, attending their weekly meetings, and perhaps even going out with your bible study teacher on field service (their door to door witnessing or passing out Watchtower Magazines), he or she may send an elder from their Kingdom Hall to talk to you about becoming baptized.

So your bible study teacher will be trying his or her best to let those publication lead you to conversion, no matter how many times you say to her that you don't want to leave your religion or church.

There is a good book for all serious bible students to read called "Systematic Theology" by Wayne Grudem. He covers every biblical topic, and explains how all of the doctrines were started by the different denominations, and he lets you use to bible to study to see where you stand on those biblical topics. He even lists all of the different denominations articles of faith and church covenants. Its a big thick book but worth the purchase if you just want to get a good overview on biblical topics by an author who isn't trying to convert you to be a Baptist, Mormon, JW, or Catholic. Again, he doesn't argue for or against any interpretation. He quotes all of the bible verses that have lead to one interpretation over another, and that forces you to study the topic, prayerfully, to see where you stand or don't stand on it. Also, Grudem shows the reader the different positions on biblical topics (born again, baptism of the Holy Spirit, the Lord's Supper) and how Christian religions adopted their interpretations.

What are your thoughts regarding studying with Jehovah's Witnesses? If you have studied with a JW or know any family members who have, have you had any similar experiences as I have described?
Those poor people LITERALLY KNOW NOTHING of the bible.

They think they know the bible because they are experts on what little they have been taught, but they can't have a normal conversation where two people both know the bible because they only know parts of the bible, only the parts they use to try and convert people who know ABSOLUTELY nothing of the bible, because if a JW comes to a house in which there lives a bible scholar, they can't have a conversation because they literally know noting of the bible.

I used to be rude to them but now I just feel sorry for them and embarrassed for them when they run into me.

They can't even name the tribes of Israel, they can't even tell you what the design of the temple is, they can't tell you anything about the bible, they only mimic what they have been told to say.

It's just embarrassing.

I feel sorry for them, especially seeing young men that have so much passion, so much displaced responsibility. It is really a shame that they are being abused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 04:32 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Those poor people LITERALLY KNOW NOTHING of the bible.

They think they know the bible because they are experts on what little they have been taught, but they can't have a normal conversation where two people both know the bible because they only know parts of the bible, only the parts they use to try and convert people who know ABSOLUTELY nothing of the bible, because if a JW comes to a house in which there lives a bible scholar, they can't have a conversation because they literally know noting of the bible.

I used to be rude to them but now I just feel sorry for them and embarrassed for them when they run into me.

They can't even name the tribes of Israel, they can't even tell you what the design of the temple is, they can't tell you anything about the bible, they only mimic what they have been told to say.

It's just embarrassing.

I feel sorry for them, especially seeing young men that have so much passion, so much displaced responsibility. It is really a shame that they are being abused.

Sad to hear both of you say these things. I carefully studied different sides. The Facts of Israelite God worship history and the teachings of Jesus, back the JW teachers--0 doubt. The encyclopedias back the truths about the worlds celebrations as well. Satan has 99% beat centuries ago of those who live now.
Believe Jesus--Matt 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking- FIRST- the kingdom and his( YHVH(Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you( sustenance, covering, spirituality)--- Once one does this they can accomplish this-John 4:22-24

Old 09-29-2017, 04:48 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Sad to hear both of you say these things. I carefully studied different sides. The Facts of Israelite God worship history and the teachings of Jesus, back the JW teachers--0 doubt. The encyclopedias back the truths about the worlds celebrations as well. Satan has 99% beat centuries ago of those who live now.
Believe Jesus--Matt 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking- FIRST- the kingdom and his( YHVH(Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you( sustenance, covering, spirituality)--- Once one does this they can accomplish this-John 4:22-24

The 3 kingdoms are watch you are, you are the Northern Kingdom which fights against the Sothern kingdom but Jerusalem is in your bosom. Jerusalem is buit between the two kingdoms that you are, you job is to produce little Benjamin

Your right eye is given to desire and you right arm with reach to grab it but your left eye and you left arm is supposed to stop this struggle between flesh and spirit. But this fallen spirit on the left side, in the left eye has made friends with the right hand and the right eye, and this is death.

Do not let your right hand know what the left is doing, your hands shouldn't be touching each other in harmony, they are enemies who should not talk as the left eye should not even speak to the right.

This was the ancient way, but now the birds of heaven bring their spirits and one by one that become friend with the right eye and right hand until the right hand is petting them and going.

The two kingdoms and the Temple is made so that you should know what you are, and there are 7 appointed days for to complete the Tasks of kings, to become king of the east is the goal.

Know thyself, and you shall know the two kingdoms, the two eyes, the two hands, and even the third eye between the two. Do not let one hand see what the other is doing and don't play childish games with one who is destined to die

There is a war going on with in an individual

Old 05-20-2018, 01:25 PM

38 posts, read 14,937 times
Fact is, we JWs will be the ONLY ones to show people in THEIR Bibles who Jesus' God is- the One he said is the ONLY true God.

We will also show them, from THEIR Bibles, all the OTHER truths- such as who Jesus REALLY is, and that Churchianity has smothered the Bible with their deceptive dogmas.

So your advice SHOULD be to listen to them, separating opinion from fact!

Old 05-20-2018, 02:03 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMadJW View Post
Fact is, we JWs will be the ONLY ones to show people in THEIR Bibles who Jesus' God is- the One he said is the ONLY true God.

We will also show them, from THEIR Bibles, all the OTHER truths- such as who Jesus REALLY is, and that Churchianity has smothered the Bible with their deceptive dogmas.

Just wondering ... are you a recent convert?

Old 05-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Just wondering ... are you a recent convert?
No- a JW for over 30 years.

Old 05-20-2018, 02:35 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
No- a JW for over 30 years.
Ok. You came in swinging with fervor, which is why I wondered. Welcome, and perhaps you’ll take time to get to know people.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:06 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:

The God presented by the JW's is an oppressive tyrant created in the imaginations of primitive savages who feared everything. Jesus came to correct their understanding and lift the veil of ignorance (blind minds) to reveal, describe in detail, and demonstrate unambiguously the TRUE NATURE of God, period. It is an absolutely absurd idea that God would never want His children to enjoy themselves or celebrate life in any way as long as they do so out of agape love for God and everyone involved. The prison of fear and condemnation that JW's promote is anti-Christ and anti-God (Who IS love).

Old 05-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Ok. You came in swinging with fervor, which is why I wondered. Welcome, and perhaps you’ll take time to get to know people.
Thanks- I'd like to!

Old 05-20-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The God presented by the JW's is an oppressive tyrant created in the imaginations of primitive savages who feared everything. Jesus came to correct their understanding and lift the veil of ignorance (blind minds) to reveal, describe in detail, and demonstrate unambiguously the TRUE NATURE of God, period. It is an absolutely absurd idea that God would never want His children to enjoy themselves or celebrate life in any way as long as they do so out of agape love for God and everyone involved. The prison of fear and condemnation that JW's promote is anti-Christ and anti-God (Who IS love).
---------------------------------------------------------------------
What church taught you THAT baloney?
AND, are you saying the Hebrew Scriptures weren't inspired of God- just Jewish Fairy Tale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity