Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,136,399 times

Advertisements

Is everything God does, by definition good, because He is God, or because He only does good things?

For example.
Suppose it was determined that God tortures kittens for all eternity.

Would this mean that is a good thing for God to do?
Is it impossible, due to our finite nature, (and God's ways being higher than our's), for us to see the good that comes out of God torturing kittens for all eternity?

Or would this mean that God is not good, because He tortures kittens for all eternity?

Does might make right?
Or does might do right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,558,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Is everything God does, by definition good, because He is God, or because He only does good things?

For example.

Is it impossible, due to our finite nature, (and God's ways being higher than our's), for us to see the good that comes out of God torturing kittens for all eternity?

Or would this mean that God is not good, because He tortures kittens for all eternity?

Does might make right?
Or does might do right?
Have you ever read the OT?

Isaiah 45:7 is one example.

The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing well-being and creating calamity;
I am the Lord who does all these.

God is in charge and He makes the rules. Your example is a Strawman. Nowhere does the Bible mention God torturing kittens. He does, OTOH, condem people who reject Him to a bad place. A place where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth-due to mental anguish-realizing their mistake. And they stay there forever according to the Bible.

Daniel 12:2 says; Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.

If you don't like the God of the Bible then go worship another one. There are plenty to chose from or you can just make up your own. One that doesn't send any to hell will do.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,857 times
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Is everything God does...
Produce a list and we'll go from there. OK?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,248,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

God is in charge and He makes the rules. Your example is a Strawman. Nowhere does the Bible mention God torturing kittens. He does, OTOH, condem people who reject Him to a bad place. A place where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth-due to mental anguish-realizing their mistake. And they stay there forever according to the Bible.

Daniel 12:2 says; Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt.

If you don't like the God of the Bible then go worship another one. There are plenty to chose from or you can just make up your own. One that doesn't send any to hell will do.

Romans 9

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,558,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Romans 9

14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. 15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. 17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Yea and it is written that He created vessels for honor and others for dishonor. Some even for distruction. Sorry, but God ani't all nicey-nice.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Hi Mr5150,

God creating evil (Isaiah 45:7) is not really what I was meaning in the OP, because it can be argued that God can create a temporary evil to create a greater good - a greater good that would not have been possible without the temporary evil. Also the evil does not carry on eternally.

That is why I gave a hypothetical example of torturing kittens forever. Its not a straw man - its a hypothetical. I was thinking of some action that has absolutely no redeeming value, no possible good could come of it. Torturing kittens seemed a good example.

Is it possible for us to say that God torturing kittens forever would be a bad thing, or by definition must it be a good thing simply because God is doing it (assuming God actually did do that).

Is it even possible for us to determine independently whether torturing kittens forever would be evil (obviously I think yes).

(Obviously I don't believe God tortures kittens forever, neither do I think anyone else believes this)

This was the topic I was hoping to cover... not the God creating evil topic.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM

You may think this a strange topic, but I actually had a discussion with a Calvinist who said 'if God tortures kittens, it must be a good thing...'

Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
yes everything he does is good. life truth and love.
sin sickness and death he did not create.
hell is separation from god.
when we hurt small children and small animals that is what happens.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,210,926 times
Quote:

For example.

Does might make right?
Or does might do right?
Yes. If God does it, it's good. He is the author of morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity