Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,970 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Take me In

Moses wanted God to hide him in the cleft of a rock..so that he could see him pass by..
How far can we go..with God..I dont mean in the physical sense..I mean in the spriritual sense..have you ever been in a worship service..and just never wanted it to end..because the more you worshipped the close you go to God?? Doesnt necessarily have to be in a church setting either..Has anyone just wanted to get past all the "noise" and the man made stuff..and just get so close to God that you could think of nothing else but praising him..worshipping him? Is there a limit there..on how close one can get to God..spiritually? I had a SS teacher say once..one Christian cant be closer to God than another Christian..however..I think some people hunger for God more..IDK..what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
Originally Posted by arguy1973
Quote:
I think some people hunger for God more..IDK..what do you think?
I dunno...
I guess I am content.
I do not hunger for God, nor do I starve for God.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post

YouTube - Take me In

Moses wanted God to hide him in the cleft of a rock..so that he could see him pass by..
How far can we go..with God..I dont mean in the physical sense..I mean in the spriritual sense..have you ever been in a worship service..and just never wanted it to end..because the more you worshipped the close you go to God?? Doesnt necessarily have to be in a church setting either..Has anyone just wanted to get past all the "noise" and the man made stuff..and just get so close to God that you could think of nothing else but praising him..worshipping him? Is there a limit there..on how close one can get to God..spiritually? I had a SS teacher say once..one Christian cant be closer to God than another Christian..however..I think some people hunger for God more..IDK..what do you think?
Yes I have felt like this, I understand what you're talking about here. We can get as close to God as we want, it's up to us. The deeper my relationship grows with Him, the more of Him I want.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,161 times
I think it depends on what you consider to be God's presence and what you consider to be worship. I see God when I look at my kids, my dogs, trees, flowers, sky, each new baby that is delivered. I feel God in the love and hugs I get from family, in each breath I have been gifted with taking, in each laugh and cry I hear. I appreciate all His gifts, irregardless if they were given directly to me or to others. I am surrounded by God each day and appreciate all that He is. So no I don't hunger for Him, because there is no need to, He is always there filling me up with His presence.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Smile Running after God...

I think we can get closer to God. It seems the scripture is full of exhortation and promise that if we seek God, we will find Him. I think the deeper and more fully we are willing to seek Him and run after Him the more He will be "found" by us. And yes... I do think some believers hunger more for God than others.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I think it depends on what you consider to be God's presence and what you consider to be worship. I see God when I look at my kids, my dogs, trees, flowers, sky, each new baby that is delivered. I feel God in the love and hugs I get from family, in each breath I have been gifted with taking, in each laugh and cry I hear. I appreciate all His gifts, irregardless if they were given directly to me or to others. I am surrounded by God each day and appreciate all that He is. So no I don't hunger for Him, because there is no need to, He is always there filling me up with His presence.
No need for me to submit my reply, because Irish said it for me too..beautifully

Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
James 4:8 "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you"......

Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
First, love that song. We sing it with our youth. I think it's derived from Isaiah 6 "Take coal, touch my lips, here I am"

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about what you mentioned in your OP about "one Christian can't be closer to God than another". I think I know what he/she means but I also see what you are saying too.

Something's 'coming' to my mind......

Two magnets. If the ends of the magnets are opposing each other, they can be next to each other but still not be 'joined' or unified, but get both magnets lined up right and, depending on the size, they are nearly inseparable.

I think maybe that's what the Christian walk can be like. If I'm a complacent Christian, my actions, thoughts, and ways may be in opposition to God and I don't feel as close and/or unified with Him and His Kingdom as someone who is 'Seeking first the Kingdom'.

So it's not about so much being closer to Him than someone else as it is getting what we say we believe to line up with the way we are living.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 AM

264 posts, read 829,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
have you ever been in a worship service..and just never wanted it to end..because the more you worshipped the close you go to God?? Doesnt necessarily have to be in a church setting either..Has anyone just wanted to get past all the "noise" and the man made stuff..and just get so close to God that you could think of nothing else but praising him..worshipping him?
Oh my YES, arguy...all the time!! Much more so now that I'm on the road and can't be in church that often.

There are places in this country that are just so stunningly beautiful they make you want to cry for joy...and just grab God and give Him a big hug and thank Him for them. I did my little Sunday worship at a scenic overlook in western North Dakota this past Sunday and it was just like that. Reading God's word, singing a praise song, and just sitting and looking out over a landscape so absolutely amazing that it boggles the mind, just made me want to never leave. I felt so close to God I thought I could almost reach out and touch Him.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:03 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
JNHO, I don't have the power to draw God to me..He draws me to him..He knows when I need him and he is there..... drawing me to him..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity