Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I`m certainly not criticizing anyone,because we are human.
Well, spm62, I think you just answered the OP perfectly. Because we are human.

We should also keep in mind, that Jesus healed the sick and he raised the dead. So praying for someone to recover is not going against the Bible and it does not indicate a lack of faith. On the contrary, it is saying that we have such an awesome God that He is able to perform any miracle.

I agree with Irish about praying for healing, but ultimately, that God's will would be done. It is when we are emotionally attached that it is difficult to surrender a person to God's will. This is where our humanity comes into play. I know that if anything happend to either of my children, it would take more than I can give to pray that God's will be done even if it meant that they go to be with Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Though many times prayers seem to be answered, one should know that God isnt going to just 'make' something happen. He might give you the wisdom to make it happen, but it depends on what that 'something' is. For example, he isnt going to 'make' a relationship happen between two people 'just like that', simply because one of the two people want it to happen. He knows it wouldnt work out. Or give you riches, because you might be tired of living paycheck to paycheck, but youre getting by with the necessities, right? Then he also knows who's REALLY devoted to him and who only prays to him only when they want something....hes no fool, remember, he knows more about whats in our hearts than we sometimes do.

Last edited by country pride; 10-29-2007 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
What wonderful answers from everyone.

blue brought up a good point. Just last night part of my prayer was for a lady in our community who is dying of cancer. It is hard on her, it is hard on the family, it is hard on the community to see her suffer so. Everyone loves her, but we also know she has lived a full life and is ready to go. SHe is in her late 70's and has suffered for a couple of years. Part of my prayer was for her to go peacefully to end her suffering. This is not meant to be ugly on my part, but to allow her to dwell with God.

I do understand that God's will will be the ultimate answer, but I do feel that prayer is our way of communicating with God, He gave us the ability to seek Him out and I also believe that if our prayers are with a pure heart and sincere and humble, those prayers will be answered. It pleases God for us to come to Him, He loves to be a part of our lives and when we seek Him out, He showers us with blessings which include answered prayer.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
We were told by Jesus to pray by saying the Lord's Prayer. That prayer includes the phrase, "Thy will be done". I think any petitions to God above and beyond that have more to do with helping us to try to understand the path God has set for us than it does with actually changing God's mind.

I think the intercessions that are part of liturgical services help to focus the minds of the congregation (acting as the Body of Christ in the world) on particular issues and needs in the world and in their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity