Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,433,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
PT Barnum said: There is a sucker born every minute.

Or not:

There's a sucker born every minute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Though this phrase is often credited to Barnum, it was actually spoken by a man by the name of David Hannum."

"When Barnum's biographer tried to track down when Barnum had uttered this phrase, all of Barnum's friends and acquaintances told him it was out of character."

Mr5150, do you have an credible sources which attribute either of the quotes you posted to Barnum? And, if so, any idea when, or in what context, he said them?

It's a pretty shabby way to try to discredit someone, attributing quotes to someone if you don't have reliable sources for those quotes, or know what context they were spoken in if they are his, don't you think?

Last edited by Pleroo; 04-15-2013 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
What Mr. Barnum has been quoted as saying:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

"Opinions are like ***holes; everyone's got one."

P.T. Barnum Quotes (Author of The Art of Money Getting)

I find Universalists incredible. The first quote sums it up.
I'll gladly be a sucker for the love and grace of God for all; I'm buying it hook, line and sinker.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,241,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree about the bolded. It does come down to our understanding of the nature of God ... Of course, I would argue that it is your understanding that is faulty, since it does not acknowledge the power of God's love, grace and mercy to effect the salvation of all from the bondage to sin/non-love. Your view of God's holiness is that God will allow sin to exist for eternity in hell, whereas the UR view acknowledges that God's holiness demands a full victory over sin.
So you think God is so holy that he will destroy sin but will let the sinner live (even though he hates him/her)?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,959,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So you think God is so holy that he will destroy sin but will let the sinner live (even though he hates him/her)?
Even though WHO hates him/her??

Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
God hates the sinner.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,959,950 times
Quote:
God hates the sinner.

Why on earth would you think something like that?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

sparrow.

Vizio... does God love you when you sin?
Is God going to destroy sin in you?

If God loves you enough to liberate you from your sin, why do you believe God doesn't love the rest of us enough to do the same?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
sparrow.

If God loves you enough to liberate you from your sin, why do you believe God doesn't love the rest of us enough to do the same?

Quote:
Why on earth would you think something like that?
Because God said it.

Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity,"

Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."

Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."

Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."

Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

I'll say it again...your god is a 1 trick pony. All he can do is dote on us and love. You fail to see the other side of him. He hates sin.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Because God said it.

Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity,"

Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."

Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."

Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."

Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

I'll say it again...your god is a 1 trick pony. All he can do is dote on us and love. You fail to see the other side of him. He hates sin.

Hmmm, you didn't answer my questions.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, you didn't answer my questions.

Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin -- and to conquer sin in us. In fact, Romans states that while we were still sinners, he died for us. But only those that believe are saved. The rest are condemned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity