Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
This thought came up from the "If Jesus Christ was here, next to you what would you say to him?" thread from Noland's reply:

I really don't think I feel that way. I am anchored here to my children and wouldn't want to leave them for anything. I would beg and plead to stay here to care for them. So what does that say about me? I don't know, but it is how I feel.

What if Jesus was here and asked if you wanted to come with him back to heaven right now? Is there anything that would make you say no?
To be perfectly honest; No I would not want to; But assuming that you mean that Jesus is not giving me an option Then I would have to take the risk of appearing totally wierd.
I would say to Jesus "not my will, but your will be done Lord" because He did this for me;
I have children and family here and I have a child and family there; But I would have to choose the Lord over my flesh. " I must admit, this is a tight spot to have to be in".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Very interesting thread indeed.

that's why it's said that in order to get back to God, you need to get rid of all your personal desires and attachments first, which most of us aren't ready to do.

I doubt that Christ in his wisdom would come and take me until I'm ready, but who knows because for him everything's possible, his divine love is too strong that just by feeling it I might forget I was a small and mortal human being and go with him without a doubt!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
MAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMS!
A quick "shout-out" to kawgpz550... hello to you again, dear friend.

Quote:
Again assuming it was an offer and not a demand, yes I would ask him to stay here...I don't want to do this life with out my husband either. If he asked I would say stay here. That may be selfish but again that's how I feel.

Ok so we're back to me being a defective follower because if that choice was presented to me I would beg to stay here with my kids. Guess I'm gonna have to think about this some more.
And dear irishmom, you are not defective. You are honest with yourself and with God and that's commendable. We are each unique creations, individuals, that God designed. He knows your love for Him and for your family. Thinking on this some more, who's to say which is the correct reply. It's truly an individual answer - no two people will answer the say way for the same reasons.

I answered your question as if it were a command, not an offer. Maybe that was a misunderstanding on my part. Now, as you put it above, if it were an offer and not a demand -- then I'd like to believe Jesus knows the person's heart of whom he extended the invitation and I would like to believe He'd still answer positively and affirm that person's choice, whichever way they decided to respond. I don't think any answer would indicate a "defective follower" Just my humble opinion.

Blessings to all

Old 10-31-2007, 08:42 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Again assuming it was an offer and not a demand, yes I would ask him to stay here...I don't want to do this life with out my husband either. If he asked I would say stay here. That may be selfish but again that's how I feel.

Ok so we're back to me being a defective follower because if that choice was presented to me I would beg to stay here with my kids. Guess I'm gonna have to think about this some more.

I shared on another thread about thinking I was going to die while being injected with adrenaline a few times in an ambulance on the way to the ER as a result of an allergic reaction.
I thought I wasn't going to make it, and told Jesus, "I'm not ready to go". All I could think about was my wife being alone.
But let's be clear here. I really did not have the creator of the Heaven and Earth, of all that is seen and unseen, the author of Love himself sitting right there in the ambulance asking me to go with Him.
Maybe if he really wanted me, he would have taken me.
Could be He wasn't ready for me.

Cheer up !

Old 10-31-2007, 08:51 PM

740 posts, read 2,014,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
A quick "shout-out" to kawgpz550... hello to you again, dear friend.

And dear irishmom, you are not defective. You are honest with yourself and with God and that's commendable. We are each unique creations, individuals, that God designed. He knows your love for Him and for your family. Thinking on this some more, who's to say which is the correct reply. It's truly an individual answer - no two people will answer the say way for the same reasons.

I answered your question as if it were a command, not an offer. Maybe that was a misunderstanding on my part. Now, as you put it above, if it were an offer and not a demand -- then I'd like to believe Jesus knows the person's heart of whom he extended the invitation and I would like to believe He'd still answer positively and affirm that person's choice, whichever way they decided to respond. I don't think any answer would indicate a "defective follower" Just my humble opinion.

Blessings to all

Man.... I take a couple weeks sabbatical and look who's back!! Nice to see you back here mams... we missed you.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
This thought came up from the "If Jesus Christ was here, next to you what would you say to him?" thread from Noland's reply:

I really don't think I feel that way. I am anchored here to my children and wouldn't want to leave them for anything. I would beg and plead to stay here to care for them. So what does that say about me? I don't know, but it is how I feel.

What if Jesus was here and asked if you wanted to come with him back to heaven right now? Is there anything that would make you say no?

Would I go? In a heartbeat without a second thought. Knowing that God is sovereign, and He has a greater plan for my family, yes. I long for him now. Does this mean that I don't love my family, my children, my husband? Of course it doesn't. I would give my life for anyone of them. I know God has plans for my children and I would love to see them carried out to an old age. I would love to see my children get married, have families... I would love to see what God makes of them, how He uses them. But they are a gift from Him that He intrust to me for a short time. They are not mine to begin with.. So I know I can trust that they would be ok without me and that somehow in God's plan, this is working for His good.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Would I go? In a heartbeat without a second thought. Knowing that God is sovereign, and He has a greater plan for my family, yes. I long for him now. Does this mean that I don't love my family, my children, my husband? Of course it doesn't. I would give my life for anyone of them. I know God has plans for my children and I would love to see them carried out to an old age. I would love to see my children get married, have families... I would love to see what God makes of them, how He uses them. But they are a gift from Him that He intrust to me for a short time. They are not mine to begin with.
Maybe it's because I grew up with out parents that I feel so strongly about this...but I really do. If the offer to go with Jesus was made I wouldn't want to over them. I know what you are saying and as others have said I would hope that if it was not a choice, that I was indeed dying I would find peace before I went...but if it was a choice I'd stay here until they were on their own. I did almost die being pregnant with both my sons, the first one was especially close because my condition hadn't been diagnosed and all I could think about was my son not having a mother and it was terrible. The second time it was even worse because there were two of them and I was a mess. Even thinking about not being with them for a second makes me get all emotional and teary...I know I'm a wackadoodle. I do feel blessed that I was granted a recovery twice to be here with them, and for that reason I would hope that I would never have to leave them until they were on their own. But when I read Noland's reply to that other thread it hit me that I wouldn't want to go...not now. So I'm going to think about it a bit more, and hopefully find some peace with it...but it has shaken me up a bit to say the least.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's because I grew up with out parents that I feel so strongly about this...but I really do. If the offer to go with Jesus was made I wouldn't want to over them. I know what you are saying and as others have said I would hope that if it was not a choice, that I was indeed dying I would find peace before I went...but if it was a choice I'd stay here until they were on their own. I did almost die being pregnant with both my sons, the first one was especially close because my condition hadn't been diagnosed and all I could think about was my son not having a mother and it was terrible. The second time it was even worse because there were two of them and I was a mess. Even thinking about not being with them for a second makes me get all emotional and teary...I know I'm a wackadoodle. I do feel blessed that I was granted a recovery twice to be here with them, and for that reason I would hope that I would never have to leave them until they were on their own. But when I read Noland's reply to that other thread it hit me that I wouldn't want to go...not now. So I'm going to think about it a bit more, and hopefully find some peace with it...but it has shaken me up a bit to say the least.

I understand where you are coming from. You know my children are almost grown. I am not sure how I would feel if I were still taking care of little ones. I did watch a wonderful mother of three in our church lose her 2 year battle with breast cancer. I see the girls in church.... they're dad is a state representative and has to be gone... so that leaves the girls with a nanny. Tracy was so brave. She knew that God had a plan and that no matter what, He was in control. She had lost her own mother at the age of 16 from breast cancer. She was a nurse... she knew her risks.. she caught it VERY early... God still had a plan. I often look at those girls and wonder what that plan is.... she will be gone a year at Christmas.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Irish, hon, you are beating yourself up over this thread..Relax..Don't you know that God made mothers special.. We seem to have a survival for the children gene within our souls..We have no good true description of the vastness of Gods love for us, but I suspect it could be described as closer to the love a mother has for her children. You carried them under your heart, felt the first movements of life and listened to their heartbeats..God understands this and would be pleased that his daughter Irish would fight so hard to raise the children that he so lovingly gave to you..This is a hypothical thread Irish, you know within your soul that He would never make you choose between Him or your children..

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Irish, hon, you are beating yourself up over this thread..Relax..Don't you know that God made mothers special.. We seem to have a survival for the children gene within our souls..We have no good true description of the vastness of Gods love for us, but I suspect it could be described as closer to the love a mother has for her children. You carried them under your heart, felt the first movements of life and listened to their heartbeats..God understands this and would be pleased that his daughter Irish would fight so hard to raise the children that he so lovingly gave to you..This is a hypothical thread Irish, you know within your soul that He would never make you choose between Him or your children..
Ok I'll stop thinking about it...but I don't like to be unsure. You know I'm a control freak and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity