Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times

Advertisements

What I'm praying to God about is for outsiders to leave me alone.
Meaning,people shout mean things to me on the streets.
Also,I've noticed cashiers,coworkers, and others either ignore me,or just act plain mean to me even if I don't know them.for 17 years I've asked for him to just make me pretty,but it hasn't happened.

So yeah,that's pretty long time to ask for something,and not get it.

Nathan,your saying it doesn't matter what name you use,he knows who you are talking to?
How is that when the lord's prayer says "Let your name be sanctified"? Or hallowed be thy name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Maybe a small change in direction is what is needed. Insensitive bullies seem to be like the poor; they will be with us forever, and I know that doesn't help much, but pray for the assurance that the real problem is theirs and the strength to love them as poor erring humans.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Also,I've noticed cashiers,coworkers, and others either ignore me,or just act plain mean to me even if I don't know them.for 17 years I've asked for him to just make me pretty,but it hasn't happened.

Nathan,your saying it doesn't matter what name you use,he knows who you are talking to?
How is that when the lord's prayer says "Let your name be sanctified"? Or hallowed be thy name?
My instincts tell me the issue isn't what others say to you it's how you're dealing with it.

I'm sorry they're mean to you. As a kid, I was teased too. "But if you don't like something change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude."

God made you who you are. You're beautifully and wonderfully made in His image.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Does it really make any sense at all that God should have a NAME? Is it not more important that we acknowledge that HE IS when we call out to him? If someone gets my name wrong, should I, would I ignore them? If I did, would I not be acting with a haughty spirit? God is not like us - offended by such things.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
For 17 years I've asked for him to just make me pretty, but it hasn't happened.
A beautiful appearance? "A special kind of beauty exists in a single language that is not isolated; it comes from within, called love."

Often times, we fail to love ourselves, thinking are happiness is contingent upon what others see or say.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 AM

The bible says there are other gods,but how to you distinguish God from the others?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:05 AM

58 posts, read 77,184 times
Quote:

It does say "hallowed be thy name" but does it actually say His name? Jesus, as all Jew's did not speak the name of God. The practice was in reverence to His name and to make sure they did not use it in vain. They would not even write it out. The example Jesus gave us was to refer to God as "Our father in heaven" or "heavenly father", that's what I use. You see Jesus taught us that our God is in heaven and by referring to Him as our father in heaven there can be no doubt. If we pray to our god on earth or our god inside us or our god at the temple then we are not praying the God that Jesus revealed to us. Let's follow Jesus and pray to the God in heaven!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:06 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
The bible says there are other gods,but how to you distinguish God from the others?
The Spirit of life is not external, it dwells within you.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Spirit of life is not external, it dwells within you.
I don't understand what that means

Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
The Bible .... specifically the Bible that didn't come from cults that altered the Bible to fit their falsehoods.

Like the NWT which changes John 1:1 from "Word was God" to "word was a god"

The Bible teaches who the true God is
Jehovah: “Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other." Isaiah 45:22

Jesus: Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” John 20:28
------------------------
Jehovah: "Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid.
The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.” Isaiah 12:2

Jesus: It is by the name of Jesus Christ....Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name Acts 4:10,12
----------------------------------

Jehovah: "The LORD is my shepherd" Psalm 23:1

Jesus: "I am the good shepherd" John 10:11
----------------------------

Jehovah: " Who is the rock except our God? " Psalm 18:31

Jesus: " the spiritual rock accompanied them, and that rock was Christ " 1 Cor 10:4
-------------------------------

Jehovah: "I am God. ... Before Me every knee will bow, by Me every tongue will swear" Isaiah 45:22-23

Jesus: ... "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow.. and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord" Philippians 2:10-11
--------------------------------------

Jehovah: " ' You are My witnesses,' declares the LORD " Isaiah 43:10

Jesus: "You will be My witnesses" Acts 1:8
--------------------------------------

Jehovah: " I the LORD do not change" Malachi 3:6

Jesus: "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" Hebrews 13:8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity