Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:03 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,320,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, love is not the only thing that matters. My point exactly.
Love is all that matters, for love the only thing that matters to be effective,it needs to be expressed(living) by faith.

Christ dwelling (as a reality)in our hearts through faith, we are rooted and established in the love of God.......this is abundant life Finn Jarber. Do you agree with this ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,404,184 times
Quote:

You guys like to use the "love-only crowd" label even though you know it's misleading. In this thread alone (and repeatedly on this forum) it has been explained to you that to speak of love could not possibly ignore other things which love ENCOMPASSES and ENGENDERS; those things are ROOTED in love. They are inextricably bound together; you can't have any of the other things, in their divine form, withOUT love. But, you'll likely continue to ignore that and make no attempt to understand it, because ... ? I don't know why you guys do that.

(And no, Brian, no one is equating love to faith as if they are the same thing. )

Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Love is all that matters, for love the only thing that matters to be effective,it needs to be expressed(living) by faith.
So, you are saying love has not effect unless it is expressed by a person of faith...... That is just another way of saying love is not the only thing that matters.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You guys like to use the "love-only crowd" label even though you know it's misleading. In this thread alone (and repeatedly on this forum) it has been explained to you that to speak of love could not possibly ignore other things which love ENCOMPASSES and ENGENDERS; those things are ROOTED in love. They are inextricably bound together; you can't have any of the other things, in their divine form, withOUT love. But, you'll likely continue to ignore that and make no attempt to understand it, because ... ? I don't know why you guys do that.

(And no, Brian, no one is equating love to faith as if they are the same thing. )
I don't recall using such label.

Love is one of the fruits of the spirit, and the spirit enters through faith. Other fruits of the Spirit are joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

As you can see there are many parts to the equation, so the OP is correct in saying love is not the only thing.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:27 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,404,184 times
Quote:
I don't recall using such label.

Love is one of the fruits of the spirit, and the spirit enters through faith. Other fruits of the Spirit are joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

As you can see there are many parts to the equation, so the OP is correct in saying love is not the only thing.
The op is giving a list of rules, not talking about the fruit of the Spirit. And to him, the answer is that LOVE FULFILLS THE LAW.

But since you bring up the fruit of God's Spirit, remember that God IS Love, so all the fruit is borne by and through Love.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,320,738 times
Quote:
So, you are saying love has not effect unless it is expressed by a person of faith...... That is just another way of saying love is not the only thing that matters.
How about this then, your faith is worthless unless it is expressed through love. It might as well say God is not interested in your faith unless it is rooted and established in love. I am sure that you would agree if faith is worthless unless it is expressed through love,it would go without saying all other things you may consider are important are worthless too, unless
Expressed through love.
and if I have [sufficient] faith so that I can remove mountains, but have not love (God’s love in me) I am nothing (a useless nobody)

Be careful if you choose to read this chapter, it may just have an influence on changing your heart.

13 If I [can] speak in the tongues of men and [even] of angels, but have not love (that reasoning, intentional, spiritual devotion such [a]as is inspired by God’s love for and in us), I am only a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 And if I have prophetic powers ([b]the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), and understand all the secret truths and mysteries and possess all knowledge, and if I have [sufficient] faith so that I can remove mountains, but have not love (God’s love in me) I am nothing (a useless nobody).
3 Even if I dole out all that I have [to the poor in providing] food, and if I surrender my body to be burned or [c]in order that I may glory, but have not love (God’s love in me), I gain nothing.
4 Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.
5 It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].
6 It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.
7 Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].
8 Love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. As for prophecy ([d]the gift of interpreting the divine will and purpose), it will be fulfilled and pass away; as for tongues, they will be destroyed and cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away [it will lose its value and be superseded by truth].
9 For our knowledge is fragmentary (incomplete and imperfect), and our prophecy (our teaching) is fragmentary (incomplete and imperfect). How can it be when we have the bible ?.
10 But when the complete and perfect (total) comes, the incomplete and imperfect will vanish away (become antiquated, void, and superseded).

11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; now that I have become a man, I am done with childish ways and have put them aside.
12 For now we are looking in a mirror that gives only a dim (blurred) reflection [of reality as [e]in a riddle or enigma], but then [when perfection comes] we shall see in reality and face to face! Now I know in part (imperfectly), but then I shall know and understand [f]fully and clearly, even in the same manner as I have been [g]fully and clearly known and understood [[h]by God].
13 And so faith, hope, love abide [faith—conviction and belief respecting man’s relation to God and divine things; hope—joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation; love—true affection for God and man, growing out of God’s love for and in us], these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Last edited by pcamps; 05-18-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 09:20 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I bet near 99 percent of Americans believe that fortune cookies originated in the Far East.
Quote:
Some even argue that faith is not necessary. The Bible says you cannot please God without faith, so obviously there are other important things such as faith.
Fortunately, I have a "cookie" for you:

"Love supercedes that of faith."

Old 05-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple whom Jesus loved View Post
jghorton, This is called deception and we must remember it is of satan our enemy and that we battle not against the flesh and blood that make these post but the spirits that guide the comments and tatics.

Be blessed.
Some people are adversarial to: God is Love.
It doesn't take much faith for condemnation.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
Wow. express your faith without love and what do you have? The only thing that matters is love and the appropriate expression of it.

Are you afraid of love, or just love that does not really take into consideration the well-being of everyone concerned? Love is not just unbounded emotion, it IS concern for the well being of those loved and always has what is in their best interest at heart. Yes, it takes maturity to recognize what that interest is in all cases.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Be careful if you choose to read this chapter, it may just have an influence on changing your heart.
A heart of stone for one of flesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity