Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 03:47 PM

505 posts, read 575,147 times

Advertisements

Wives: you knew he was promiscuous before you got married. Still, he was handsom and tall and manly. You took it slow at first; became friends, bonded. "If anyone can settle him down, It'll be me!" you thought. He maintained a wandering eye and seemed to know and hug and endless line of women but he said he'd be true to you. You bought it. You got married, had 3 1/2 kids, a dog and a house with a white fence. Then he cheated on you and you found out. After all the crying, feelings of betrayal, and shattered trust, you did the Christian thing and forgave him. You hoped that'd be the end of it- just a one time thing but no- it happened again, and not too long after the first time. "He'll realize he's jeopardizing his entire future with me and the kids and he'll stop!" Again you forgave him. Later, he cheated again. Again you forgave him, feeling like you were stuck and needed him for provision and security. Still later he did it again. "7 times 70 times" you said.

If this was you, how many times would you forgive this husband of yours: 10 times? 25? 100? 1,000? 5,000? No, of course not. One day you're gonna say "enough is enough!!"

Husbands: same scenario. "Man she's hot!" you declare when you first see her. "I gotta me get me that!" Same deal- marriage, kids then the cheating starts. Wives, good luck getting him to forgive you more than ONCE. Men are notorious for one and done when it comes to cheating wives.

Lets face it- as a race of people we're not real good at forgiving other people, even our spouses. Friends and non-relatives fair much worse. I can almost see why in cases of murder, rape, child abduction and then what generally follows that. Some people, however, never forgive even the smallest infraction against them. They actually take it to their grave.

What if God were like that? Thankfully, He's not. 1 John 1:9- "If we confess our sins he is FAITHFUL and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteous." Consider God's faithfulness toward you, a sinner. Reflect on His long-suffering toward you and His seemingly unending patience with you. With actions and deeds being completely outnumbered by deliberate, sinful thoughts and fantasies, it's entirely possible that we can sin 100,000, 200,000 or 500,000 times in a lifetime. Brothers and sisters, give him praise and come to Him with thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM

123 posts, read 166,529 times
Amen! God's mercies are new every morning!

Not to mention, even when we commit the same sins over and over, if we repent each time He remembers them "no more". So this means it's like the first time we ever sinned when we approach His throne of grace. His mercy is amazing. He separates our sins from us as far as the East is from the West. Praise His Holy Name!!

Thank you for this post Joint heir and reminding us to give Him praise

Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Jesus expects us to forgive all sins against us from the heart, other wise He will not forgive our sins, and we can be lost to hell. However, He does give us the permission to divorce an offending spouse. We still have to forgive them from the heart, but we also don't have to put up with their immorality.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM

123 posts, read 166,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Jesus expects us to forgive all sins against us from the heart, other wise He will not forgive our sins, and we can be lost to hell. However, He does give us the permission to divorce an offending spouse. We still have to forgive them from the heart, but we also don't have to put up with their immorality.
I always understood this passage to mean that we will have broken fellowship with God and won't sense His presence or power in our lives if we don't forgive others. Plus if we understand how much God has forgiven us, it should make it easier to forgive others.

However, I don't believe we are eternally lost if we are a true believer, sealed with the Holy Spirit. Jesus said not one of His followers that God gives to Him can be snatched out of His hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity