Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:16 PM

123 posts, read 166,592 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with unequally yoked marriage? I could really use some encouragement.

My husband and I have been married for 22 years and I can honestly say he is a wonderful partner. I don't want another husband, I just want him to be saved.

When we got married, neither of us were believers. About 10 years into our marriage, I became a believer and have been praying for him ever since. I still believe one day he will be saved, but it's hard to wait on God's timing, even if it's perfect.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 PM

389 posts, read 917,201 times
I know of an elderly woman over 20 years ago who shared that she had been praying for her husband's salvation for something like 40 or 50 years. She was such a prayer warrior for our church, but also asked us to continue to pray for her husband. She never gave up!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnNative View Post
Does anyone have experience with unequally yoked marriage? I could really use some encouragement.

My husband and I have been married for 22 years and I can honestly say he is a wonderful partner. I don't want another husband, I just want him to be saved.

When we got married, neither of us were believers. About 10 years into our marriage, I became a believer and have been praying for him ever since. I still believe one day he will be saved, but it's hard to wait on God's timing, even if it's perfect.

Thanks in advance.
You have just described my parents. They've been married 55 years. My mom still witnesses to my dad, but, although he has softened his stance on salvation, he has not taken that step. We continue to pray he will.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
Just be a good wife to him. Is he a good man to you? then you should feel blessed. He will come to Christ in due time. If he does not believe now, don't hold that against him. God gives each a measure of faith. If he believes in God, then that is his measure. He probably does not understand why you have to go to church and do churchy stuff.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,105,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAtHeart View Post
I know of an elderly woman over 20 years ago who shared that she had been praying for her husband's salvation for something like 40 or 50 years. She was such a prayer warrior for our church, but also asked us to continue to pray for her husband. She never gave up!
Help me understand the how prayer factors into this equation. If God gives everyone free will, what how would/could God intervene. Conversely, if God could intervene, what does that say about God that He would only do so in response to other's prayers? I have never understood this. Thx.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times
Quote:
First off look at how long it took for you to obey God,
and I would say that there were other people praying for you long before that time.

Your way of life and obeying God under the leadership of the Holy Spirit
is a better witness than your words.

Your husband may become a Christian today, tomorrow,
or long after you may die, but there are no guarantees it will happen,
yet you should never give up hope ! ! !

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
If your husband is loving and good to you, is a good all around person, then God has blessed you.

Only God can know his heart and sees what we can't and perhaps what your H can't at this time even though it is there Enjoy the good person he is. Continue to be a god loving person you are and give him (and God) time.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
If he's a wonderful partner, and I assume he thinks the same of you, may I ask why you feel you're "unequally yoked", practically speaking? In other words, how does it play out as a problem in your day to day life?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
because of "religion?"

Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Help me understand the how prayer factors into this equation. If God gives everyone free will, what how would/could God intervene. Conversely, if God could intervene, what does that say about God that He would only do so in response to other's prayers? I have never understood this. Thx.
Looking back to when I was lost, I know now there were many times God was calling me to come to Christ through my conscience. My thoughts might be on judgment or God's Word, but I would not come and respond... Why? To come to the light would reveal my deeds (john 3) and I knew would REQUIRE change - a submission to God as the authority not me.

I eventually happened when I believe God revealed the truth to me about this evil little world. I knew time was about up and EXACTLY where I was headed. In my heart I believe, I cried out to Christ for salvation. Because except for elects sake those days will be shortened - no flesh will be saved.

My eyes I closed and my ears I did not want to hear, but upon hearing and seeing Christ opened my eyes and healed me (Matt 13) giving me eyes to see and ears to hear by His Spirit.

So I think in praying for the lost we are praying for God's intervention in one's life to help break them from Satan's spell as he deceives them through the lusts of the flesh and the power of sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity