Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a trend in here among some Christians especially universalist. They will give you scripture and the kitchen sink to prove an eternal hell doesn't exist but when asked a question by a Christian of being with an unbeliever all of a sudden the bible is forgotten; no verses given.

(2 Corinthians 6:14-18)

14 Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?
15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? 16Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said,
"I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM;
AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
17 "Therefore, COME OUT FROM THEIR MIDST AND BE SEPARATE," says the Lord.
"AND DO NOT TOUCH WHAT IS UNCLEAN;
And I will welcome you.
18 "And I will be a father to you,
And you shall be sons and daughters to Me,"
Says the Lord Almighty.

We are not to be bound together. "enequally yoked". An illustration taken from OT prohibitions to Israel regarding the work-related joining together of two different kinds of livestock. By this analogy, Paul taught that it is not right to join together in common spiritual enterprise with those who are not of the same nature (unbelievers). It is impossible under such an arrangement for things to be done to God's glory. with unbelievers. Christians are not to be bound together with non-Christians in any spiritual enterprise or relationship that would be detrimental to the Christian's testimony within the body of Christ. This was especially important for the Corinthians because of the threats from the false teachers and the surrounding pagan idolatry. But this command does not mean believers should end all associations with unbelievers; that would defy the purpose for which God saved believers and left them on earth. The implausibility of such religious alliance is made clear in verses 14-17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,525,167 times
Default Great Talk 4 Discussion

The book comes to mind in Romans 3:2-4 or so.
Shall any bible unbelief of some make the word of God void ?
We know the answer.
Is 90% bible believers Christians?
Let's find out ------John 8:31.
Can Christians really intrepret 10% of the bible different ?
Let's find out-------1 or 2 Peter 1:20-21.

In summary ALL Christians believe ALL the bible and intrepret ALL
the bible the same.

At times Christians can lose wit with the bible-----1 Cor. 8:2.

If they do not too long--------Titus 3:10

If they do disagree in the bible not too long------Titus 3:10

Twice with the book prove they got fellowship in God to have
by that time----Amos 3:3

Bible agreement makes their fellowship and unity
pleasant------Psalms 133:1.

In final summary ALL Christians believe ALL the bible and intrepret ALL the bible the same by 2 times in the book on something.

What man saying and what the bible saying 2 different things.
For clarification on that go to: Romans 3:2-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have noticed a trend in here among some Christians especially universalist. They will give you scripture and the kitchen sink to prove an eternal hell doesn't exist but when asked a question by a Christian of being with an unbeliever all of a sudden the bible is forgotten; no verses given.

14 Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?
15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? 16Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said,
And I will welcome you.
Says the Lord Almighty.

We are not to be bound together. "enequally yoked". An illustration taken from OT prohibitions to Israel regarding the work-related joining together of two different kinds of livestock. By this analogy, Paul taught that it is not right to join together in common spiritual enterprise with those who are not of the same nature (unbelievers). It is impossible under such an arrangement for things to be done to God's glory. with unbelievers. Christians are not to be bound together with non-Christians in any spiritual enterprise or relationship that would be detrimental to the Christian's testimony within the body of Christ. This was especially important for the Corinthians because of the threats from the false teachers and the surrounding pagan idolatry. But this command does not mean believers should end all associations with unbelievers; that would defy the purpose for which God saved believers and left them on earth. The implausibility of such religious alliance is made clear in verses 14-17.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:

And I will welcome you.
Says the Lord Almighty.

What does this have to do with universallists?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
I used to go to a church were the leadership wanted to control everything in the church.... They would contradict to Word of God endlessly...... Jesus was doing a work of clean the world away from me through his power of Christ........ but this power was a threat to the world spirit who had authority with the leaders to control everything in this Church,,,, Jesus eventually got me to move on to an more stable church were the leaders have similar understanding into the plan of Jesus and the threat of being unequally yoked ended and even some problems that I had in my health left when I left the other church Glory to God.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times
Quote:

And I will welcome you.
Says the Lord Almighty.

I suppose then that you don't believe Jesus ever hung around unbelievers or the "wicked" ...

unequally Yoked only means that we should not be brought under the control of sin as those who are yet in bondage to sin are.

As Paul wrote, "All things are lawful to me, but all things are not profitable; all things are lawful to me, but I -- I will not be under authority by any" ...

It is also interesting that Paul wrote that we should not put away our spouses if they are unbelievers. that is to say if you become a Christian after you are married and your wife or husband is not a Christian, you should not divorce them because of it. Isn't marriage a spiritual endeavor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity