Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Each person decides for him/herself - when they stand on the doorstep of death and assess their life.
That implies a standard. Who/what sets the standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That implies a standard. Who/what sets the standard?
Why does there need to be a "who?"

I was 10 years old when I faced my judgment. It was short (perhaps unsurprisingly). But there was no doubt as I reviewed the kaleidoscopic series of flashbacks that was my life to that point -- that I was judging myself. I was stripped of excuses and rationalizations. I saw everything, and knew what I had done that was both good and bad.

And then I didn't die after all.

But my conscience and consciousness changed from that day.

I have no fear of what comes after death.

You want me to credit your god. I won't.

Because that would be a lie.

And the only lies I favour are those in response to the "Do I look fat in these pants?" variety.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Throughout scripture (OT/NT), it is incontrovertibly clear that God's plan for mankind is to find true 'life' in Jesus Christ and live that life in relationship with God. It is equally clear that God's plan is for believers to be 'equally yoked' with other believers (marriage, business and anyplace people are joined together by agreements, contracts, relationships, etc.).

Trusting in God and believing in Christ are a way of life, not a 'religion.' A true faith-based relationship with the living God influences every aspect of a person's existence, values, standards and life. That is why "unequal yoking in marriage" is such a huge problem and why believers are so strongly admonished to avoid it. ('What does light have to do with dark; or Satan with righteousness ... etc).

Unfortunately, some professing believers view Christianity as a 'religious/church experience,' instead of a "life." Others put themselves in a situation to "fall in love with a non-believer" and then get married, thinking, "I'll change them." In years of marriage counseling, I've seen 'unequal yoking' undermine and disrupt more marriages, families and relationships ... than the world's "irreconcilable differences."

Yes, non-believers are sometimes led to Christ by their believing spouse ... and their lives change. But, more often, the non-believing spouse remains in their unbelief. The believing spouse often prays for years that their other mate will change, but, the sad reality is that most are facing painful, floundering relationships because they ignored God's plan/s in the first place. [It's similar to the Garden of Eden, when God said "Do not eat from the tree of knowledge ... or you will die". Instead, Eve (and Adam) saw that it 'appeared desirable' and would be good to eat, ... so they disobeyed God.]

God is serious about His people NOT being unequally yoked! There are serious consequences to ignoring and disobeying God in this and other areas! ---- In the case where two non-believers marry… and one becomes a believer, but, the other does not, scripture seems to recommend staying with the non-believer and living a life that draws them also to Christ. I’ve seen this happen many times.

Last edited by jghorton; 07-09-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
^And the key, imo, is not to talk about "salvation," but about how your relationship with God works in your life. It sounds to me like he is open to that.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM

123 posts, read 166,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Yes it is ConnNative. It seems you understand how we come to Jesus Christ during this present age of Grace. However you will have those who will try and say "everybody will be saved, don't worry about it. Don't try and convert them for it's already done and they will have no choice but be saved". This of course is satans attempt to have Christians not follow Jesus Christ and preach the Gospel and make disciples.

Others will try and convince you there are other way's to salvation. If they love others or do good they are saved and don't need the sacrifice Jesus Christ made for them.

Stand strong in Christ Jesus in whom you have salvation and do not be troubled by the attacks of our enemy.

God bless and we join you in praying for your husbands salvation.
I totally agree and thank you so much for your prayers.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 PM

796 posts, read 859,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Throughout scripture (OT/NT), it is incontrovertibly clear that God's plan for mankind is to find true 'life' in Jesus Christ and live that life in relationship with God. It is equally clear that God's plan is for believers to be 'equally yoked' with other believers (marriage, business and anyplace people are joined together by agreements, contracts, relationships, etc.).

Trusting in God and believing in Christ are a way of life, not a 'religion.' A true faith-based relationship with the living God influences every aspect of a person's existence, values, standards and life. That is why "unequal yoking in marriage" is such a huge problem and why believers are so strongly admonished to avoid it. ('What does light have to do with dark; or Satan with righteousness ... etc).

Unfortunately, some professing believers view Christianity as a 'religious/church experience,' instead of a "life." Others put themselves in a situation to "fall in love with a non-believer" and then get married, thinking, "I'll change them." In years of marriage counseling, I've seen 'unequal yoking' undermine and disrupt more marriages, families and relationships ... than the world's "irreconcilable differences."

Yes, non-believers are sometimes led to Christ by their believing spouse ... and their lives change. But, more often, the non-believing spouse remains in their unbelief. The believing spouse often prays for years that their other mate will change, but, the sad reality is that most are facing painful, floundering relationships because they ignored God's plan/s in the first place. [It's similar to the Garden of Eden, when God said "Do not eat from the tree of knowledge ... or you will die". Instead, Eve (and Adam) saw that it 'appeared desirable' and would be good to eat, ... so they disobeyed God.]

God is serious about His people NOT being unequally yoked! There are serious consequences to ignoring and disobeying God in this and other areas! ---- In the case where two non-believers marry… and one becomes a believer, but, the other does not, scripture seems to recommend staying with the non-believer and living a life that draws them also to Christ. I’ve seen this happen many times.
Outstanding post. Thank you for sharing with us. It's is always good to have someone give God's perspective on things.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Why does there need to be a "who?"
Uh, that's why I sad who/what.

Back to the question. What's the standard and how is it set?

Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Uh, that's why I sad who/what.

Back to the question. What's the standard and how is it set?
I am unsurprised you found no truth in my answer - or answer in my truth.

I wish you, and others of your ilk, well.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I am unsurprised you found no truth in my answer - or answer in my truth.

I wish you, and others of your ilk, well.
I am unsurprised you can't/won't answer my question.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I am unsurprised you can't/won't answer my question.
You just can't see it.

Perhaps another time, or place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity