Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

I am referencing mainstream denominations that are identified as "Protestant" by most people.

I'm not talking about Christian groups such as The Roman Catholic Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormon), The Jehovah's Witnesses or the Eastern Orthodox Churches. I do not think that any of these groups qualify as cults, by the way.

I am talking about groups that most Protestants accept as normally Christian, but that you do not.

Personal experience as well as doctrinal differences are welcome. Please do not "bash" any denomination, just state your reasons.

Thank you.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Easy, Reformed theology that makes what you believe all that is required rather than how it is lived out through your life, and actively discourages offering opportunities to do good works for fear of "having something to boast about." Heck, Calvin's perception of a micromanaging God is the sort of insanity cults are made of.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Easy, Reformed theology that makes what you believe all that is required rather than how it is lived out through your life, and actively discourages offering opportunities to do good works for fear of "having something to boast about." Heck, Calvin's perception of a micromanaging God is the sort of insanity cults are made of.
Vizio Is gonna get you.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Vizio Is gonna get you.
I know, but I just couldn't resist........ It's Sheena's fault, honest.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Personally, I think most non-denominational churches qualify, given how they almost all have a very strong and charismatic leader at the center of the entire enterprise with absolutely no reporting to a higher governing authority.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Personally, I think most non-denominational churches qualify, given how they almost all have a very strong and charismatic leader at the center of the entire enterprise with absolutely no reporting to a higher governing authority.
Mega-churches, yeah! Include followers of televangelists.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
So we're supposed to give you examples of groups that we consider cults, but the ones listed are off-limits because you don't think they're cults? What kind of discussion do you really expect to start here?

When you get right down to it, the original definition of the word "cult" is a system of religious beliefs and rituals, or a group of adherents to those beliefs and rituals. Given that, every religion in the world should be considered a cult.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:02 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So we're supposed to give you examples of groups that we consider cults, but the ones listed are off-limits because you don't think they're cults? What kind of discussion do you really expect to start here?

When you get right down to it, the original definition of the word "cult" is a system of religious beliefs and rituals, or a group of adherents to those beliefs and rituals. Given that, every religion in the world should be considered a cult.
Well, that's a good point. To me, what separates a cult from a legitimate faith with devout followers?

To me, I would say several factors would define something as a cult:

1) Centered around a highly charismatic leader.

2) No discernible, disciplined theology and teachings beyond what the leader thinks and says at that moment. To me, whenever I see someone claim his church is superior because it's "Bible-based" I become wary. Because it's not the Bible per se, but really whatever passages of the Bible suit the pastor at that moment in time.

3) A desire to separate followers from the rest of the world. Some ways are more subtle than others. The requirement to move to an isolated area away from family and friends is pretty obvious. At the same time, the decision to spend millions of dollars on recreational facilities that are not even remotely connected to the mission of a church can qualify in my eyes as well. For it is an inducement for the member to enjoy all activities within the world of the church rather than the world outside. The fact that it creates an edifice to the church leader doesn't hurt, either.

4) Entwining the parishioners personal and financial life in highly intrusive and controlling ways. For example, asking for an annual tithe is one thing, for a church needs financial contributions to pay the electric bill and the staff. Requiring parishioners to show their tax returns is something else entirely. And, yes, I know of a couple of megachurches that require you to do just that.

5) A very secretive inner circle answerable to no one, as well as a culture that ostracizes those who question how things are done.

6) A belief that anything outside the world of the organization is dangerous and untrustworthy.

Last edited by cpg35223; 07-09-2013 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
I think a cult is characterized by false teachers which are described in detail in the book of Jude and 2 peter 2.

The deny Jesus as Lord and ONLY Master. They deny the deity of Jesus. Jesus as King.

They allure members through the lists of the flesh - appealing not to the Spirit but to the senses (sound, sight, taste, pride, self righteousness, works salvation, etc). They preach a worldly message.

They deny the Lord that bought them. They teach universalism, the "brotherhood of man", etc.. They teach there are other ways to God bypassing the blood of Jesus Christ only for Salvation.

They are ungodly and covetous. They fleece the sheep not feed the sheep. The sheep are there for them not them for the sheep.

They will put you in bandage to THEM as Lord as oppose to JESUS as Lord, thus inserting themselves as Lords of the flock - exercising dominion over the sheep - disobeying the direct command NOT to exercise Lordship over one another as we are ALL brothers and sisters in Christ.

They will attempt to put you into bondage to the institution ("church") through church memberships as opposed to promoting love bondage to one another.

They deny Salvation by Gold's Grace through Faith in Jesus alone for Salvation. They add man's Merit to Salvation promoting a "hierarchy" of man - one that is righteous and one that is wicked.

JESUS says we are ALL evil, and that we are only declared righteous by our Faith in Him as God imputes His righteousness by Faith in Jesus to us outside of our merit., Faith produces righteousness as Christ in believers produces fruit. The only thing that separates the Saved from the lost is Jesus Christ. I can not look down upon ANYONE because I'm maybe more "righteous" than they are. This is in essence calling one "worthless" which Jesus condemns on the sermon on the mount. This truth is an offense to Man - that we are guilty and can never earn or deserve Salvation that God freely gives by His Grace to the undeserving sinner. Any goodness in me is of God.

Heresy draws attention to self not Christ and thus a mark of false teachers and cults.

Whenever an institution attempts to put you into some legal bondage to them with the promise of tithes or something run do not walk. We are to be in love bondage to one another and have the liberty to go from "church" to church. They do not have the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus does. He is Lord not the Pastor. Hope this helps anyone in a bad situation.

We are told to stand fast in the Liberty we have in Christ Jesus. A characteristic of cults is that they will encroach on this liberty. They are leaches living off the body not servants feeding the body in love,

Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Mega-churches, yeah! Include followers of televangelists.
Wow! You both just wiped out a bunch of your fellow Christians with that big brush! Glass houses... Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.