Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Since Paul laid the foundation (I Corinthians 3:10), he is the spiritual father of us all.
As a proud father he will be given the opportunity to present us (the church) as a bride to Christ.
1 Corinthians 3:10
But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:56 PM

796 posts, read 858,761 times
Default Paul Taught By God

How did Paul learn about the gospel if no one taught him? God revealed the gospel directly to him.

Quote:
But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ
Gal. 1:11-12

Paul could not receive something from man that God had hidden from all men (Luke 18:34). Neither Peter nor the other apostles completely understood the death, burial, and resurrection (that is, the gospel) until after they had been following Christ for over three years. Nor did they readily accept God’s changing plans concerning the Gentiles. Peter even rebuked the Lord when the death, burial, and resurrection was mentioned (Mark 8:31-32). After the resurrection, Peter ran to the sepulcher to see what had taken place (Luke 24:12). These events occur toward the end of his recorded ministry (in Acts chapter 10). Peter learned that God was beginning to minister directly to the Gentiles. Initially, he defiantly refused to obey the Lord on three different occasions when the sheet with the “unclean” animals was let down (Acts 10:8-10). God used this sign to signify to Peter His change of direction concerning the Gentiles.

Quote:
“Jesus Himself did not give revelations concerning the course of this age with its rejection of the gospel, its wars, wickedness, and the worldliness of professing Christians, until after He ceased to preach that the kingdom of Heaven is at hand. To Paul the apostle was first given an understanding of some of the mysteries concerning the church in this age. Ephesians 3:1-10 tells us how Paul was given this grace to understand and teach how that Gentiles would be in the same body with Jews, the church. And Ephesians 3:5 expressly says that this mystery was not made known in other ages.”
—John R. Rice, The Coming Kingdom of Christ

Old 07-31-2013, 03:04 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
How did Paul learn about the gospel if no one taught him? God revealed the gospel directly to him.

Paul could not receive something from man that God had hidden from all men (Luke 18:34). Neither Peter nor the other apostles completely understood the death, burial, and resurrection (that is, the gospel) until after they had been following Christ for over three years. Nor did they readily accept God’s changing plans concerning the Gentiles. Peter even rebuked the Lord when the death, burial, and resurrection was mentioned (Mark 8:31-32). After the resurrection, Peter ran to the sepulcher to see what had taken place (Luke 24:12). These events occur toward the end of his recorded ministry (in Acts chapter 10). Peter learned that God was beginning to minister directly to the Gentiles. Initially, he defiantly refused to obey the Lord on three different occasions when the sheet with the “unclean” animals was let down (Acts 10:8-10). God used this sign to signify to Peter His change of direction concerning the Gentiles.
You mean God in a man spoke directly to him

Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
1 Corinthians 3:10
But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
Good point ^ above ^

We are to transform our minds ......Romans 12 v 2, so we need Christ as our foundation on which to build.

All need help at the start as did the Ethiopian official of Acts 8 vs 30-35

Since the Bible is not written ABC as a dictionary, then we need to look at it by subject or topic arrangement.
The Bible has parallel reference verses and passages that we can compare between its Bible writers and see the internal harmony among them.

A comprehensive concordance can serve as a quick locater of verses and passages.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Good post Balunman. One simply cannot properly understand or interpret the Bible unless one understands that the framework of God's plan for man is dispensational in nature. Gentiles, Jews, and Church are three separate groups of people and are dealt with differently by God, although the means of salvation is the same in all dispensations.

The word 'dispensation' refers to the way in which God administers His plan at a given time in human history, and to a particular group of people. While some theologians have differed in their understanding of the number of dispensations, the major distinctions are the Dispensation of the Gentiles, the Dispensation of Israel, the Dispensation of the Church, and the Messianic age or Millennium. Each of these have their own unique characteristics.

It is unfortunate that most believers do not understand the dispensational aspect of God's plan.
I've been suspicious of that since I was a young Christian...Even as a young Christian I've noticed and wondered that a certain segment of people were being addressed, so how does any of it apply to us today?...

Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
"Study to shew thyself approved" does NOT mean to study the Bible. It means to strive to be approved. In other words, to put our minds on Christ.

Bible studies are useful, but that is not what the passage means at all.

blessings,
brian

Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
"Study to shew thyself approved" does NOT mean to study the Bible. It means to strive to be approved. In other words, to put our minds on Christ.

Bible studies are useful, but that is not what the passage means at all.

blessings,
brian
Amen again Brian. I'm discovering there is no greater thing than setting your affections on things above. The scripture says we are seated in heavenly places, what a great place to be at and look from.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things

Old 08-01-2013, 11:46 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Amen again Brian. I'm discovering there is no greater thing than setting your affections on things above. The scripture says we seated in heavenly places, what a great place to be at and look from.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things
Thanks for your very encouraging posts bro!

blessings,
brian

Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM

796 posts, read 858,761 times
Default Paul Ministers to the Gentiles

Quote:
For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Ephesians 3:1-4
Our apostle, the Apostle Paul, tells us to read so that we may understand his knowledge in the mystery of Christ. This complete revelation of the mystery was not given to anyone else prior to Paul’s writings. All truth must be revealed to someone initially. God chose Paul to be the recipient of this revelation. Paul, in turn, recorded the revelation so that we might gain the understanding of it when the Holy Spirit uses the scriptures to reveal this truth to us.The Bible says that God appointed Paul to be the apostle of the Gentiles. In addition to being appointed, the scriptures state that the Apostle Paul was ordained to his position.

Quote:
Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity
I Tim. 2:7
Quote:
“...the truth concerning the Church was never made known until the beginning of Paul’s Apostleship (Eph. 3). We must not, therefore, except in types and symbols, expect to find it in Matthew.”
—William L. Pettingill, Simple Studies in Matthew
Prior to Paul’s conversion (Acts chapter 9), the complete mystery was not revealed to anyone. Paul says it is now revealed. Here is the mystery:

Quote:
That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power. Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ; And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ
Ephesians 3:6-9
Paul’s calling involved making all men see the mystery that was hidden in God from the beginning of the world. A person cannot search the Old Testament scriptures and understand this truth without the knowledge of the revelation of the New Testament.

Quote:
“The revelation of this mystery, which was foretold, but not explained by Christ (Mt. 16:18), was committed to Paul. In his writings alone we find the doctrine, position, walk, and destiny of the church.”
—Scofield Reference Bible, p. 544
Quote:
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory
1 Corinthians 2:7
Had Satan understood the cross prior to its fulfillment, he would not have entered into Judas Iscariot and instigated the betrayal of Christ. Satan as the prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2), did not understand the mystery prior to the cross.

Quote:
Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory
I Corinthians 2:8

Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Learn it's meaning and serve the Lord.

"The Lord guides the humble to justice and He teaches the meek His way."

"The friendship of the Lord is with those who revere Him and He makes His covenant known to them."

"You are my friends if you do what I command you."

"My son, if you receive my words and treasure my commands,
Turning your ear to wisdom, inclining your heart to understanding;
Yes, if you call to intelligence and to understanding raise your voice;
If you seek her like silver, and like hidden treasures search her out:
Then you will understand the fear of the Lord; the knowledge of God you will find;
For the Lord gives wisdom, from his mouth come knowledge and understanding;
He gives wisdoms treasure to the upright; he is the shield of those who walk honestly."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity