Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM

352 posts, read 419,308 times

Advertisements

Bismillaah ir Rhamaan ir Rahiim In The Name of The Only God; Allaah, The All Compassionate, The All Merciful. As salaamu alaykum; The Peace Be Upon You, everyone.

I am wondering what Christians on this board think of the Gospel of Barnabas, the true gospel of Prophet Isa [Jesus, PBUH].

I've prepared some answers for this writer if you care to see them. I do not take them to be a serious challenge to Barnabas' gospel, so I don't care to post too many of the writers statements here:

Internal Evidence- Historical setting [1-9] Barnabas 1 ~ Barnabas 2

1-Having no knowledge of how many complete translations this gospel has been through, it cannot be said that there was no wooden casks in the day of any particular translation.

2-As for the title 'virgin' which is found many times throughout the Bible, what is the writer questioning? Surely, the mother of Jesus PBUH, was a virgin!

3-Any expressions found in the works of Dante a 12th century writer, would point to the fact that Dante, had read something of the Gospel of Barnabas, if not the Scripture itself.

4-And it is sad commentary to believe that Adam PBUH, and Eve, had not repented, as Allaah, All Praise, Glory and Honour, Be To HIM, forgave them both. Penance is; to show repentance for sin. See Matt.3:2, and 6:12.

5-There is an inference that court procedure did not consist of a record or log of minutes kept.

6-7 And, there is no reference/evidence of a duel, or anything akin to 9th century feudalistic political organizing.

8-There is no picturesque description of 'Palestine in the summertime' to be found in Chapter 169. The chapter is relating to how beautiful 'the world' is during this period.

"Behold, then, how beautiful is the world in summer-time, when all things bear fruit! The very peasant, intoxicated with gladness by reason of the harvest that is come, makes the valleys and mountains resound with his singing, for that he loves his labours supremely. Now lift up even so your heart to paradise, where all things are fruitful with fruits proportionate to him who has cultivated it. As God lives, this is sufficient for the knowledge of paradise, forasmuch as God has created paradise for the home of his own delights. Now think you that immeasurable goodness would not have things immeasurably good? Or that immeasurable beauty would not have things immeasurably beautiful? Beware, for you err greatly if you think he have them not." Chapter 169 (in-part) Gospel of Barnabas

Regarding #9.
After the departure of Elijah, because of the great persecution by idolaters, that holy congregation of Pharisees was dispersed. For in that same time of Elijah more than ten thousand prophets who were true
Pharisees were slain in one year. Chapter 148 (in-part)

Jesus PBUH explains in chapter 144, that every saint and Prophet of God, is a Pharisee:

Truly I say to you," said Jesus, "all the saints and prophets of God have been Pharisees not in name, as you are, but in very deed. For in all their acts they sought God their creator, and for love of God they forsook cities and their own goods, selling [their goods] and giving to the poor for love of God." Chapter 144 (in-part)

Salaam/ Peace. devotee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Bismillaah ir Rhamaan ir Rahiim In The Name of The Only God; Allaah, The All Compassionate, The All Merciful. As salaamu alaykum; The Peace Be Upon You, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I'm famaliar with the Epistle of Barnabas:

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Roberts-Donaldson)

That writing was found with the earliest manuscripts from which we derived the text for the modern translations. I considered it source inspired text and worthy of careful consideration. But that text sounds different from what your describing.
Salaam/Peace, thanks for your reply trettep. I'm not familiar with that copy. I'll have to give it a perusal. It is not from the same author as Barnabas' gospel. What I have in mind is the Barnabas gospel featured here:
The Islamic Bulletin Barnabas describes himself as the scribe of that work. Salaam/Peace. devotee

Old 08-17-2013, 03:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I'm famaliar with the Epistle of Barnabas:

The Epistle of Barnabas (translation Roberts-Donaldson)

That writing was found with the earliest manuscripts from which we derived the text for the modern translations. I considered it source inspired text and worthy of careful consideration. But that text sounds different from what your describing.
The Epistle of Barnabas and the Gospel of Barnabas are two entirely different things. The Epistle is considered one of the valuable documents of the early Church, though not qualified for inclusion in canon. The Gospel is considered entirely spurious if I remember correctly.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:13 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The Epistle of Barnabas and the Gospel of Barnabas are two entirely different things. The Epistle is considered one of the valuable documents of the early Church, though not qualified for inclusion in canon. The Gospel is considered entirely spurious if I remember correctly.
Your memory is accurate, nate.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:44 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Gospel of Barnabas is bogus and counterfeit and never inspired by Holy Spirit quickening , wrote for people who were trying in influence people into influence and error of an ignorant author .... Like some religions may have some truth , but were a form of godliness by would have denied any real power from God ...... Best if any copies exist to toss them in the trash were they belong ......

Old 08-18-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your memory is accurate, nate.

Salaam/Peace, MysticPhD. Fortunately or, unfortunately it has been recorded that the premise of the N.T., gospel is based on fraudulent information; or at the very least, misused or forged information. Salaam/Peace. devotee

Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Gospel of Barnabas is bogus and counterfeit and never inspired by Holy Spirit quickening , wrote for people who were trying in influence people into influence and error of an ignorant author .... Like some religions may have some truth , but were a form of godliness by would have denied any real power from God ...... Best if any copies exist to toss them in the trash were they belong ......

Salaam/Peace, hljc. Of course that is not true. The Gospel of Barnabas, is much clearer and is more realistic than the New Testament. Trying to tear down Barnabas' gospel, will not lift up the N.T. gospel. Salaam/Peace.. devotee.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
I just read a piece of it and its obviously not inspired text.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:14 PM

It would help your case if there were manuscripts or even fragments of the Gospel of Barnabas that date prior to CE 1500. Even references to it in other works prior to that date would be helpful.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotee View Post

I am wondering what Christians on this board think of the Gospel of Barnabas, the true gospel of Prophet Isa [Jesus, PBUH].
Wa alaikum as salaam. I would venture to say that you have received a good idea of the perceptions of Christians on this board as to the nature of this "gospel." The real question now to be asked is what you see as the message of Jesus (PBUH) to the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity