Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Hi Finn_Jarber, I agree I don't know of any real works that the thief did. And yes, Paul says that we are saved by Grace through Faith. That is not disputed by me. What is disputed is to believe that you can continue in that Faith and not do Good works and STILL believe your saved. Do you believe that one can have faith and continue therein and still be saved if they don't do good works?
Really? In the midst of his own fear and pain, he chose to intervene when the other man (in the midst of his own fear and pain) was angrily mocking Jesus. Defending others who are being abused certainly seems like a "good work" to me, in that it shows a heart moved to action by compassion/God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Really? In the midst of his own fear and pain, he chose to intervene when the other man (in the midst of his own fear and pain) was angrily mocking Jesus. Defending others who are being abused certainly seems like a "good work" to me, in that it shows a heart moved to action by compassion/God.
Yes, I didn't mean to downplay it but the point is that if someone couldn't do the good work it doesn't void real saving Faith. Again, we are saved at Faith, the Good Works are evidence of the saving Faith. Those Good Works must follow the believer.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, I didn't mean to downplay it but the point is that if someone couldn't do the good work it doesn't void real saving Faith. Again, we are saved at Faith, the Good Works are evidence of the saving Faith. Those Good Works must follow the believer.
What is it you believe a person is saved from at the moment they "have real faith"?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
What is it you believe a person is saved from at the moment they "have real faith"?
Death

Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Hi Finn_Jarber, I agree I don't know of any real works that the thief did. And yes, Paul says that we are saved by Grace through Faith. That is not disputed by me. What is disputed is to believe that you can continue in that Faith and not do Good works and STILL believe your saved. Do you believe that one can have faith and continue therein and still be saved if they don't do good works?
I said works are the fruit of the Spirit. If you have the Spirit, you have the fruit. No Spirit, no fruit. You are saved by grace, through faith, and you will remain saved even if you are unable to perform works. You cannot earn your salvation by doing stuff you think will look good in God's eye, especially if your motivation is fear of losing your salvation.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-23-2013 at 09:43 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I said works are the fruit of the Spirit. If you have the Spirit, you have the fruit. No Spirit, no fruit. You are saved by grace, through works, and you will remain saved even if you are unable to perform works. You cannot earn your salvation by doing stuff you think will look good in God's eye, especially if your motivation is fear of losing your salvation.
I think you misspoke on the highlighted part.

I'm not talking about earning salvation. Do you believe that love is the Good Work of Faith?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times
Default Correct!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
If you try earning a spot in Heaven,you've fallen from grace
If you take simply this statement with no clarification it is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. However like all over simplifications, it is a lawyerly attempt to be an excuse.

One can hear about faith, but the TRUTH has to be seen.

If you are a true believer and you have a LIVING faith, it's evidenced by your works. If you have a dead faith, you're usually condemning the works of other people, or condemning the sin of other people because you have nothing to show for yourself so you play the hypocrite by condemning others.

Salvation is a sovereign act of God whereby unregenerate sinners have the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit (Titus 3:5), poured out on them, thereby causing them to be born again (John 3:11). God removes sin-hardened hearts of stone and replaces them with hearts of flesh and fills them with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that is the catalyst for them to walk in obedience to His commands and judgments (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

What don't you do because of your faith?

What DO you do, because of your faith?

Do your lips and your life agree?

That is the salvation which comes from God--from both faith and works of obedience just as heat and light are irreparably joined to fire.

You cannot "work" your way into heaven. Neither can you "believe" your way into heaven. You must have an ongoing transforming experience that results in a changed life both internally and externally. Every day is a new day in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Death

Physical death?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
I think you misspoke on the highlighted part.

I'm not talking about earning salvation. Do you believe that love is the Good Work of Faith?
Yes, indeed, I meant to say through faith, not through works.

Fruits of the spirit. I don't think love is a "work", but rather leads to works.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Physical death?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity