Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

I live in a very racially diverse area and it's odd how rare it is to find a multi-cultural church around here. It seems like most church are predominantly black, white, asian or hispanic. It bothers me because if the church is teaching the straight up unadulterated gospel or if you have believers that are looking for the unadulterated gospel, then shouldn't those churches be attracting people of different backgrounds? Why is it that so many church seem to attract only people of a certain background? Thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
I live in a very racially diverse area and it's odd how rare it is to find a multi-cultural church around here. It seems like most church are predominantly black, white, asian or hispanic. It bothers me because if the church is teaching the straight up unadulterated gospel or if you have believers that are looking for the unadulterated gospel, then shouldn't those churches be attracting people of different backgrounds? Why is it that so many church seem to attract only people of a certain background? Thoughts.
Music styles.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
People want to be with their kind is what I hear folks say when I ask the same question. I always say " isn't Christian the kind you wanna be with?"
The different races/nationalities view God differently. Some focus music to somehow make them spiritual , others judge you on how nice your outfit looks on Sunday. Others judge you on how hard you clap, etc. it would be nice to see a good mixture in all church buildings. I think the church in the area should match the community it is surrounded by.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:03 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
It was said that "11 AM on Sunday is the most segregated hour in America". I am not sure who said it but it was a while ago and I wish that it wasn't still true.

I think that we may agree theologically about many points but social and cultural customs divide us on Sunday mornings.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It was said that "11 AM on Sunday is the most segregated hour in America". I am not sure who said it but it was a while ago and I wish that it wasn't still true.

I think that we may agree theologically about many points but social and cultural customs divide us on Sunday mornings.
True.

This is what is meant by "adultery." Adultery is not simply a "carnal" problem. More importantly, a spiritual one. If we say we believe (x) but we do (y), then we are adulterers, imo.

Peace.
brian

Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Its just part of the sinful nature. Its true for all cultures, they prefer to be with their own race, language. Ideally, as Christians it would not be that way, but all Christians are saints and sinners at the same time. And unfortunately, many pastors don't try to teach their people correctly, so they get off track; like fighting for the civil rights cause rather than preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Its just part of the sinful nature. Its true for all cultures, they prefer to be with their own race, language. Ideally, as Christians it would not be that way, but all Christians are saints and sinners at the same time. And unfortunately, many pastors don't try to teach their people correctly, so they get off track; like fighting for the civil rights cause rather than preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
you are right about many pastors not teaching. I think they do more preaching, but should be teaching exclusively. many of these folks get involved in all kinds of politics, in an extreme way.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,771 times
Even the New Testament churches were divided between Jews and Greeks (Gentiles).

The segregation these days is partly due to cultural differences affecting worship style. It's not uncommon to see black and white churches occasionally hold joint services, but neither congregation is clamoring for full-time unity. Churches that are predominantly Hispanic, Korean, etc. often conduct services in their native tongue, which may be a barrier to those who don't speak that language - and of course it works both ways if their English isn't that great.

That wouldn't concern me near as much as a church that was hostile to outsiders because they didn't want to associate with them. I have seen that happen, too. Of course it's wrapped in kindness and consideration for the "feelings" of the visitor who surely wouldn't be comfortable in such a different environment.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM

796 posts, read 858,919 times
What you see in the churches is almost 100% the choice of those attending. I am not aware of any church that limits attendance by race, sex, or other such things. It's one of the few places where we are allowed to choose the type of place we want to be. Part of the choice may be cultural but as one poster stated it has much to do with music style. What happens is those who begin a church or the founding members make choices based on what they like or believe. Others who like the same type of service choose to attend. It's as simple as that.

I believe people segregate by choice today. Not because they hate anyone but because they feel comfortable around other people like themselves. We have always done it and we always will. It's not wrong until you exclude people who would otherwise choose to be with you.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Look at any middle or high school that has an ethnically diverse student body. Then go look at the lunch room during lunch. For the most part, you'll see the exact same thing.

Human nature to be around those most like yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity