Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 03:13 PM

304 posts, read 302,335 times

Advertisements

When you, ME or anyone, starts thinking our reasoning is the reasoning of GOD (I.E. Spirit of God verifies it as the truth) we have immediately put ourselves in a ridiculous position. We don't allow room for error. To do so would deny that it was divinely inspired.

When you get a room of three people, all proclaiming to be divinely inspired, and they disagree with each other, what do you do? (besides make another denomination) What usually happens is each person looks at the other and pities them because....... wait for it......"The don't have the Spirit".

I think scripture mumbles that Knowledge puffs up.

But it says that works build up, even to the fullness of the Spiritual Maturity of Christ. Most of you guys, if you tell your home church pastor some person said we can be as spiritually mature as Jesus that they would be told that person is whack. It's Eph 4.

That maturity comes through knowledge gleaned through works.

It's like two men, reading a book on parenting telling the man with five kids how to do it.

What kind are you?

And what was the last MAJOR theological change you had to make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM

668 posts, read 691,001 times
Your question brings to mind the recent failed end of the world as predicted by Harold Camping. I remember listening to his radio show one night as the date was coming up and the caller asked him something about what he would do if it did not happen and he replied that he could not even consider it because it would mean God is a liar. After his end of the world did not happen he promised not to make predictions again. And this was his second wrong date.

I had to admit that the organization I was a member of and had proclaimed was Christ one true church, was nothing more than a man made lie and a cult. It is an humbling experience.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
So is the answer to suggest no one can know God's will?

Old 10-06-2013, 06:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
God's Word (and Christ) have been affirmed by signs, wonders and the Holy Spirit. Thus, we are not 'called' or expected by God to simply 'figure-out His will, plan or 'leading' on our own.

You have, in fact, pointed-out the fallacy presented by so many who claim that they 'rely on the leading of the Holy Spirit' ... apart from or even without God's Word of Truth. The truth is that the leading of the Holy Spirit is always consistent with the Word of God. And, without the Word of God, one doesn't know if they are being 'led by the Holy Spirit' or simply feeling the effects of last night's chili hot dog.

Some speciously reason that we can't really know what God's Word is ... or that God does not lead by 'book alone' (there's some truth to the latter). But, God's Word, plan, Holy Spirit leading, Christ, truth and power are all consistent, regardless of human reasoning to the contrary.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM

304 posts, read 302,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Your question brings to mind the recent failed end of the world as predicted by Harold Camping. I remember listening to his radio show one night as the date was coming up and the caller asked him something about what he would do if it did not happen and he replied that he could not even consider it because it would mean God is a liar. After his end of the world did not happen he promised not to make predictions again. And this was his second wrong date.

I had to admit that the organization I was a member of and had proclaimed was Christ one true church, was nothing more than a man made lie and a cult. It is an humbling experience.

It's not a unique story.... Some are of such character they can come out of it. Others are sheeple made to buy whatever promises them the most appeal.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
I think most people use their senses to listen to God. We want to hear from God. Our emotions can lead us astray. That is why 3 people can hear 3 different thing that contradict. It is emotional.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:01 AM

668 posts, read 691,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So is the answer to suggest no one can know God's will?
I personally do not think that is the answer. I have found that God has given us His will and if we study it properly and prayerfully we can understand it. Scripture shows us that God directly communicated with an extremely small number of humans. The vast majority of people never had a direct revelation from God. The problem is so many people want to make themselves to be one of those very few that God gave direct revelation to.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
God's Word (and Christ) have been affirmed by signs, wonders and the Holy Spirit. Thus, we are not 'called' or expected by God to simply 'figure-out His will, plan or 'leading' on our own.

You have, in fact, pointed-out the fallacy presented by so many who claim that they 'rely on the leading of the Holy Spirit' ... apart from or even without God's Word of Truth. The truth is that the leading of the Holy Spirit is always consistent with the Word of God. And, without the Word of God, one doesn't know if they are being 'led by the Holy Spirit' or simply feeling the effects of last night's chili hot dog.

Some speciously reason that we can't really know what God's Word is ... or that God does not lead by 'book alone' (there's some truth to the latter). But, God's Word, plan, Holy Spirit leading, Christ, truth and power are all consistent, regardless of human reasoning to the contrary.
No, the fallacy is not contradicting the Bible (which is NOT the same thing as the Word) and that is placing the Bible over the Spirit. The fallacy is that they rarely "test the spirits." There really are tools for figuring out if a "leading" is from the Spirit, and the Bible is one good one, but reason, the testimony of the saints past and present and most of all "the fruit of the spirit" are useful to those who will submit to examination, both internal and external.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:51 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
See when there are two or more people who have a witness which is confirmed by Jesus Spirit , then it is right .......... See some can hear from the spirit of the flesh , which may sound right but without confirmation no power from God , as false spirit will lead people when sin is there and sin like controlling spirit or a proud spirit or lying spirits will confuse the best of believers ........... When a prophecy come to believers , they are just required to pray in faith and expect the promise from the prophecy to happen or not to happen depending on the message , and that is it ,............. Where some prophecies turned out to be by the flesh spirits are wrong and some believers believed it with out confirmation , and lost investment because they jump the gun with out confirmation from Jesus Spirit ............. See Jesus said once that a believer hears a Word of God, and immediately the devil come to take the Word away which was brought from God to be received , which can confuse the best of believers in the twisted truths that the devil can bring ............ Still Holy Spirit will discern all spirits

Old 10-07-2013, 08:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
I personally do not think that is the answer. I have found that God has given us His will and if we study it properly and prayerfully we can understand it. Scripture shows us that God directly communicated with an extremely small number of humans. The vast majority of people never had a direct revelation from God. The problem is so many people want to make themselves to be one of those very few that God gave direct revelation to.
I completely agree. I am leery of no one that claims they've been talking to God....because they frequently get an answer that contradicts the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity