Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 PM

15 posts, read 11,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

32[/url]It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to them, ”
33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
In other words, contrary to many Christians pronouncement, the Bible is not inerrant.
Does the book of Hebrews teach:
* against the Law of Moses (or seek to change the Law of Moses in any way?)
* a change in the Levitical priesthood?
* that believers should have nothing to do with the Sacrificial system?
* that Jesus changed the Law in any way?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions then I defer to 2 passages:

1- Acts 6:13-14 defines a false witness as anyone who speaks against the Temple (which includes the priests, the Altar and the Sacrificial System), speaks against the Law of Moses, or who claims that Jesus changed the Law of Moses.

2- Deut 13:1-4 says that if someone entices you to go and follow other gods- even if he produces a sign or wonder- we must NOT listen to him because the Lord is testing you in order to see whether or not you will obey His voice.

Therefore, certain elements in the book of Hebrews are not errors in the sense of what you're seeking (or hoping for. ) Rather they are tests to see if you will obey His voice.... or not.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 5:46 View Post
Does the book of Hebrews teach:
* against the Law of Moses (or seek to change the Law of Moses in any way?)
* a change in the Levitical priesthood?
* that believers should have nothing to do with the Sacrificial system?
* that Jesus changed the Law in any way?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions then I defer to 2 passages:

1- Acts 6:13-14 defines a false witness as anyone who speaks against the Temple (which includes the priests, the Altar and the Sacrificial System), speaks against the Law of Moses, or who claims that Jesus changed the Law of Moses.

2- Deut 13:1-4 says that if someone entices you to go and follow other gods- even if he produces a sign or wonder- we must NOT listen to him because the Lord is testing you in order to see whether or not you will obey His voice.

Therefore, certain elements in the book of Hebrews are not errors in the sense of what you're seeking (or hoping for. ) Rather they are tests to see if you will obey His voice.... or not.
But what you stated was that the book of Hebrews is full of error. You seem to be backtracking on that now. Perhaps you would like to rephrase what you meant.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Matthew 5:18

So we have Jesus saying the Law will not pass away in the least before heaven and earth pass away, and then we have the writer of Hebrews proclaiming the Old Covenant made with Moses WILL pass away very soon to be replaced by the New Covenant that Jesus established.

So who is right? Jesus or Hebrews?
The law is obsolete in as far as people thinking it will save them but it was never intended to. It was given to point out sin and the consequences of sin. It still remains as a school master that points to our need of Christ because it points out that we have all sinned. Only Grace can establish the law within the heart and mind, not the law, because without Christ we are carnal and the carnal mind is at enmity with God's laws. The spiritual man is not.

The law will soon pass away but that is on the last day. However it is obsolete in this since; the sacrifices of old only foreshadowed the real sacrifice, and did not regenerate the people, only Christ can.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The law is obsolete in as far as people thinking it will save them but it was never intended to. It was given to point out sin and the consequences of sin. It still remains as a school master that points to our need of Christ because it points out that we have all sinned. Only Grace can establish the law within the heart and mind, not the law, because without Christ we are carnal and the carnal mind is at enmity with God's laws. The spiritual man is not.

The law will soon pass away but that is on the last day. However it is obsolete in this since; the sacrifices of old only foreshadowed the real sacrifice, and did not regenerate the people, only Christ can.
I think Paul alluded to this business about the law intending to show how we couldn't keep it and to point our our deficiencies and our need for Christ. That's all well and good, but the immediate intention of the law was to keep the people in line and to keep them from straying too far from what God expected them to do and how He expected them to live and abide by His laws. In other words, God expected His people to keep the commands. He told them flat out, "I hold before you life (the law) and death (breaking the law). Therefore choose life (keeping the law)."

Old 10-23-2013, 03:57 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
I take it that you are claiming that the only difference is the bolded and that in every other way it is like the Mosaic Covenamt. A lawyer's interpretation. The New covenant is revolutionary, not just the same old same old in a new cover.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
But what you stated was that the book of Hebrews is full of error. You seem to be backtracking on that now. Perhaps you would like to rephrase what you meant.
You assume I'm 'backtracking' because you're only hearing what you want to hear, and not what I've actually said.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I take it that you are claiming that the only difference is the bolded and that in every other way it is like the Mosaic Covenamt. A lawyer's interpretation.
What a nice compliment... thank you!
And all this time I thought I was just a small-town TX redneck! Now I'm a LAWYER! KOOL!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
^ Have you ever heard of "barracks lawyers?"

Old 10-23-2013, 09:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Your words were:

Quote:

Forgive my bluntness (I just don't know how else to say it) but the book of Hebrews is full of mistakes, intentional misquotes, and poses theological arguments against Scripture in order to promote the author's doctrines. IMHO, one of his worst mistakes is that he takes all of the previous Covenants of God (which are separate and distinct) and he lumps them all together and says, "That’s the First Covenant." And in the process of simplifying what God has spoken, he distorts it. Worse then that, he actually proclaims that they are not everlasting Covenants.
And now your saying that you did NOT say Hebrews is full of error and therefore the Bible has errors in it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity