Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 AM

484 posts, read 883,158 times

Advertisements

I have copied and pasted the following verses from a website containing the NIV of the Bible (link below). In my interpretation these verses are referring to a wrongdoer as someone who has not been cleansed by the blood of Jesus. This is the only way I could make sense of it, considering we are all doers of evil by nature. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Correct me if my interpretation is wrong. And I don't want this to become a thread debating homosexuality or alcohol, that's not the point here.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
New International Version (NIV)
9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 NIV - Or do you not know that wrongdoers will - Bible Gateway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 AM

794 posts, read 846,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I have copied and pasted the following verses from a website containing the NIV of the Bible (link below). In my interpretation these verses are referring to a wrongdoer as someone who has not been cleansed by the blood of Jesus. This is the only way I could make sense of it, considering we are all doers of evil by nature. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Correct me if my interpretation is wrong. And I don't want this to become a thread debating homosexuality or alcohol, that's not the point here.

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 NIV - Or do you not know that wrongdoers will - Bible Gateway
When Jesus came to this world He said there is not one good person here. He also said if you break 1 law you've broken them all. So if Jesus acknowledges we are all guilty, then we are all of the things mentioned in the verse you quoted. It doesn't matter if you did any of the things mentioned in that verse or not. In God's eyes, a liar is all of the other things in that verse too. That is God's perspective. God sees it that way so we cannot say "well a liar isn't as bad as a murderer." In God's eyes, yes they are. If you believe in Jesus, you have been eternally cleansed of all sins and have been made righteous in God's eyes. This is the work of Jesus, not the work of man so Jesus gets all the glory.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,250 times
Colossians 3:

1Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is youra life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

5Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.b 7You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 AM

15 posts, read 11,357 times
Quote:
In my interpretation these verses are referring to a wrongdoer as someone who has not been cleansed by the blood of Jesus.

Are these Corinthians Paul wrote to under the blood of Messiah? Yes, as shown in v 11 they all had been sanctified (set apart) by His blood. But also stated in v 11, some of them used to be homosexuals, idolaters, thieves, etc, etc. Paul wrote this letter to them (and to us) warning against falling back into our old lifestyles before we accepted Messiah. He continues by saying that we are not our own masters anymore. Therefore, we cannot do what we please. Paul then says we must treat our bodies the same way we would treat the Temple in Jerusalem. What defiles the Temple, will also defile us.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
IMO, Paul is talking about a 2-way street regarding Grace and the Law. On one hand, he is warning the world that Salvation and Eternal Life are by faith through Grace in Christ alone ... not by anything this world may vainly imagine or proclaim (ie; works, church attendance, 'good people', donations, etc).

He is also saying to professing Christians, ‘Examine your own actions/behavior for the truth of what is really in your heart. Your claims to be a Christian (follower of Christ) have no merit (aka: you are deceived) if there is nothing that clearly distinguishes your life from the world's standards and behavior.’

Last edited by jghorton; 10-30-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 12:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:

You're right. He lists a bunch of behaviors--and indicates they are wrong and they won't be in heaven.

Then there is "that is what some of you WERE". The point is that if you are a believer, you are not one of those. We are called out of those behaviors.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:19 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're right. He lists a bunch of behaviors--and indicates they are wrong and they won't be in heaven.

Then there is "that is what some of you WERE". The point is that if you are a believer, you are not one of those. We are called out of those behaviors.
Many people are believers and still live those lifestyles afterwards.
-Gay Pastors
-Church members shacking up and sleeping with other church members
-Alcoholics
-Thieves that run schemes in the church

Paul is saying you cant believe in Jesus and still practice these lifestyles and think you will go to heaven.

11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Means you MUST turn from these sins after becoming a believer as Jesus says he will spit out out of his mouth for being lukewarm.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,033,730 times
Quote:

YLT version:

1Co 6:9 have ye not known that the unrighteous the reign of God shall not inherit? be not led astray; neither whoremongers, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor sodomites,
1Co 6:10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, the reign of God shall inherit.
1Co 6:11 And certain of you were these! but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were declared righteous, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and in the Spirit of our God.

It boils down to no unclean thing shall enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,031,577 times
Quote:
mhans123 said, "In my interpretation these verses are referring to a wrongdoer as someone who has not been cleansed by the blood of Jesus. This is the only way I could make sense of it, considering we are all doers of evil by nature."
You are correct. The specific sins Paul speaks of in these verses are probably some of the more prevalent sins in Corinth where he was speaking to. Remember-Paul was on a contious missions journey. Each town he visited had specific situations he addressed.
God Bless!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Many people are believers and still live those lifestyles afterwards.
-Gay Pastors
-Church members shacking up and sleeping with other church members
-Alcoholics
-Thieves that run schemes in the church
Jesus said we would be able to tell a person by their fruit. I question how real their faith is if they continue in this stuff.
Quote:

Paul is saying you cant believe in Jesus and still practice these lifestyles and think you will go to heaven.

11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Means you MUST turn from these sins after becoming a believer as Jesus says he will spit out out of his mouth for being lukewarm.
I agree. He points out that you haven't REALLY become a Christian if you're still into that stuff. It's not that they are Christians who are still in it--it's that they never were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity