Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,984,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Did Jesus ask the crowd that he fed with fish and 2 loaves of bread if they had eaten already?
Did he ask them if they were rich or poor?
Apparently Jesus already knew by the end of the day the crowds that came to listen to him had not yet eaten.
Whether rich or poor they would be hungry by day's end.
-Matthew 14 v 15; Mark 6 v 35; Luke 9 v 12
There were No convenient food places, so without feeding them, some could have ' given out ' on the way back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM

668 posts, read 691,435 times
We should also tell them to get a job!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
We should also tell them to get a job!
I've known LITTLE KIDS who are homeless and living in cheap, unclean motel rooms. Next to rooms used by hookers and drug dealers, pimps and users. I so want to know if you're going to tell that 7-year old, whose parents lost their jobs cleaning offices after the crash, that he should get a job.

Are you going to tell the 13-year old runaway who left a home where he was sexually abused (that means raped) by his step-father and is living on the streets selling his body for something to eat that he should get a job? How about the woman who is living in her car because her husband beat her and she's got no place to go?

Really? That's the attitude of Bible believers these days? Does Jesus know?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 PM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
As a Christian, how do you respond to panhandlers? Where we shop, which is one of the poorest cities, we are approached every time by people asking for money. Some are very intoxicated, others look lazy, a few do not need the money, but many just don't manage their money properly. Most get government assistance with food, gas, and medical care. What do you do when they approach you and ask "Can you help me out"?
Help them out.

Jesus said to give to everyone who asks. He didn't amend it with "... as long as you think they deserve it."

Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,941,088 times
For me it depends entirely on the situation. I do as seems appropriate at the time. If I feel that I should give, I do. If not, I don't

Old 11-12-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've known LITTLE KIDS who are homeless and living in cheap, unclean motel rooms. Next to rooms used by hookers and drug dealers, pimps and users. I so want to know if you're going to tell that 7-year old, whose parents lost their jobs cleaning offices after the crash, that he should get a job.

Are you going to tell the 13-year old runaway who left a home where he was sexually abused (that means raped) by his step-father and is living on the streets selling his body for something to eat that he should get a job? How about the woman who is living in her car because her husband beat her and she's got no place to go?

Really? That's the attitude of Bible believers these days? Does Jesus know?
Why do you think that those we help should not get a job? Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Get a grip!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post

Get a grip!
Oh, I've gotten a grip. I've gotten a grip on the fact that there are a lot of people out there holding their Bibles up above their heads and singing hymns in church who have absolutely no intention of following Christ.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, I've gotten a grip. I've gotten a grip on the fact that there are a lot of people out there holding their Bibles up above their heads and singing hymns in church who have absolutely no intention of following Christ.
I am sure there are some like that somewhere.

Some people are very Judgmental too!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM

987 posts, read 1,120,375 times
Jobs can take weeks or even months to get at times. Not many jobs can you walk in and walk out having been offered the job. You need to provide glowing resumes with great references, experience, etc. Some jobs require numerous tests which many can not pass. Many don't finish high school because of learning disorders, poor living conditions and/or abuse at home, and many many reasons. I tutored women who are trying to get their GED and they have a hard time with basic math or word problems.

I applied at a library, got contacted several months later and it was a very long process of tours, background checks, (there were two library aide positions available in detention ceners), 3 months later I was having a final interview and I did NOT get offered the job at either facility. They had whittled down the applicants to @ 15 at the final interview. If you don't have an address it's difficult to get an interview. Suitable clothes and transporation are another problem. Employers tend to hire people with cars before people who have to take the bus. not always but many times.

My ex boyfriend kept applying for dishwashing jobs and the person who took his application would promise to put in a good word and yet he was never called back even for an interview, he did a short term in jail for drug use but someimes did not even indicate that. There are hundreds or more applying for EVERY job and if you run out of savings, good will of friends with no family you end up on the street. To get aid (I get food help) you must provide an address, and much more information. I'm not saying that many times it was not poor choices that lead to them being on the streets but it is just so easy to judge someone.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
Jobs can take weeks or even months to get at times. Not many jobs can you walk in and walk out having been offered the job. You need to provide glowing resumes with great references, experience, etc. Some jobs require numerous tests which many can not pass. Many don't finish high school because of learning disorders, poor living conditions and/or abuse at home, and many many reasons. I tutored women who are trying to get their GED and they have a hard time with basic math or word problems.

I applied at a library, got contacted several months later and it was a very long process of tours, background checks, (there were two library aide positions available in detention ceners), 3 months later I was having a final interview and I did NOT get offered the job at either facility. They had whittled down the applicants to @ 15 at the final interview. If you don't have an address it's difficult to get an interview. Suitable clothes and transporation are another problem. Employers tend to hire people with cars before people who have to take the bus. not always but many times.

My ex boyfriend kept applying for dishwashing jobs and the person who took his application would promise to put in a good word and yet he was never called back even for an interview, he did a short term in jail for drug use but someimes did not even indicate that. There are hundreds or more applying for EVERY job and if you run out of savings, good will of friends with no family you end up on the street. To get aid (I get food help) you must provide an address, and much more information. I'm not saying that many times it was not poor choices that lead to them being on the streets but it is just so easy to judge someone.
Yes lot's of people have issues. But we must not use them as excuses. I only finished the 10th grade. Had 2 children by the age of 19. Had to dive into donation boxes to find clothes. Went without a car for about 6 months while living in a very rural area with no bus, no taxis, no public transportation at all. Had to work a lot of jobs I did not want to but did it to eat. I was divorced at age 20. Went and got my GED. I always found work or a way to earn money on my own. It's not always easy or fun but if you want to earn your way you can. I even lived in an old mobile home in someones side yard with not running water for almost a year. Had to wash cloths in a washtub on a fire for hot water. Made an outhouse to use. They did let me have an extension cord to keep a refrigerator going. Found a wrecked car and was able to buy it and got help getting it running. It looked like crap and broke down at least once a week but it was what I could get at the time. I did have to get food stamps for a few months once and am still ashamed of that. So I know a thing or two about hard times and not having everything you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity