Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Just who are YOU to question him?

It's a valid question. If you call yourself a Christian, you ought to be examining yourself to see what the fruit of your life is. A Christian isn't perfect, but we ought to be moving toward holiness.
I agree 100%, of course. But isn't this something we as Christians ALREADY KNOW? Why does someone feel it's his/her role to assume the cloak of superiority as a bigger and better Christian to snottily admonish other Christians about how they should conduct their spiritual lives? How about if that person just quietly goes about living their own examined life instead of worrying about what the other Christians are doing? It's a bit preachy and presumptuous to post such a question, no?

Oh, and I AM THE MIGHTY QUEEN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Why she's Mightyqueen, of course. A member of the CD community who has demonstrated that she lives an honorable life with love and charity in her heart. She's demonstrated courage when confronted with evil. She's a woman of faith. My respect for her is enormous.
ROFL, ty, DDI. I didn't see this until I posted my response to Vizio.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree 100%, of course. But isn't this something we as Christians ALREADY KNOW? Why does someone feel it's his/her role to assume the cloak of superiority as a bigger and better Christian to snottily admonish other Christians about how they should conduct their spiritual lives? How about if that person just quietly goes about living their own examined life instead of worrying about what the other Christians are doing? It's a bit preachy and presumptuous to post such a question, no?

Oh, and I AM THE MIGHTY QUEEN.
Please....let me be clear. I wasn't trying to poke you in the eye. I'm sure you're a very nice person, and I have nothing against you at all.

Now...look at this forum. There is stuff like this all over it. It's a Christian idea that we are to lift each other up, and encourage one another. I didn't take the OP's post as anything other than he was trying to inspire others.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And just who are you to ask this question of others?
I agree, I feel these kind of questions are only asked by those who fall short of their own grade that they've set.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Please....let me be clear. I wasn't trying to poke you in the eye. I'm sure you're a very nice person, and I have nothing against you at all.

Now...look at this forum. There is stuff like this all over it. It's a Christian idea that we are to lift each other up, and encourage one another. I didn't take the OP's post as anything other than he was trying to inspire others.
Actually, no, I'm not that nice by nature. That's why I constantly have to examine myself and try to follow Christ's example because it's everything I am not.

One of the shortest and most profound sermons I ever heard can be summed up in a few words. Do you want to be like Christ? Can you walk on water? Raise the dead? Make the blind see? No, of course not. The ONLY way for us to be like Christ is to humble yourself, which He did when he became flesh. So, humble yourself, and be like Christ.

Not easy to do--hell, look at my delusional screen name! And yes, I see such posts all over this forum and that's why I rarely respond to them. I find them haughty and self-aggrandizing, not encouraging in the least, and often off-putting to people who are seriously on a path to spiritual growth. I am also a can't-quit-the-day-job writer, and DON'T BE PREACHY is pretty high up there in the basic rules of writing nonfiction, so that may also affect my POV of these sorts of things.

I don't really know what prompted the OP to send out that message. Perhaps he really was trying to inspire. If I'm the only one who didn't read it that way, then that's my problem, I guess.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
It's a Christian idea that we are to lift each other up, and encourage one another.
Can't say I felt lifted up or encouraged after reading the OP.

However I recently attended my first service in a church of Mightyqueen's faith. Let me tell you those Episcopalians know how to lift up and encourage. The woman who led the service was so terrific I nearly converted on the spot.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default Have you searched yourself to see if you are still good & evil?

Silly question. Of course we are BOTH . . . that is our problem. It is our evil that must be purged or refined out of us by repentance while alive or by God's consuming Fire of love after death.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Have you searched yourself to see if you are still good & evil?
I dont' see why people are offended by this question. The Bible instucts us to examine our own hearts.

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

The OP is not saying we should examine the hearts of other people, but to examine our own hearts.

I agree.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:23 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Can't say I felt lifted up or encouraged after reading the OP.

However I recently attended my first service in a church of Mightyqueen's faith. Let me tell you those Episcopalians know how to lift up and encourage. The woman who led the service was so terrific I nearly converted on the spot.
It did encourage me to look inward at myself. Honestly...I've never been to an Episcopal service. I can't say what it'd be like, but I hear it's a lot like a Catholic Mass. I don't get much out of such a thing.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:30 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
It did encourage me to look inward at myself.Honestly...I've never been to an Episcopal service. I can't say what it'd be like, but I hear it's a lot like a Catholic Mass. I don't get much out of such a thing.
And everything was in order ?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity