Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 03:00 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
God has always existed and has no mother. Mary was only the birth mother of the human body that God inhabited while on this earth. Mary did not give birth to God.

Ok, lets remember we are discussing religion.

The father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit are ALL God.

Mary is the mother of Jesus and according to the Trinity Jesus is God.

MAry is not the mother of the Father or the Holy Spirit who are also God.

But, God is also Jesus. So it is OK to say Mary is the Mother of God.

This just religion and I am certain others have a different view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 03:05 PM

668 posts, read 690,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Ok, lets remember we are discussing religion.

The father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit are ALL God.

Mary is the mother of Jesus and according to the Trinity Jesus is God.

MAry is not the mother of the Father or the Holy Spirit who are also God.

But, God is also Jesus. So it is OK to say Mary is the Mother of God.

This just religion and I am certain others have a different view.
Not at all since Jesus existed prior to coming to earth. God has no mother for He has no beginning. To say Mary is the mother of God is to say God did not exist prior to birth. Mary is the mother of the body that Jesus inhabited while on earth. She is not the mother of God. The physical body is not God.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, it does work like that. Theology - the study of God, must be based on truth. How you see it is irrelevant. It is reality that is revelant. And the reality is that the Bible is not man's subjective opinion about God, but is God's objective revelation to man.

Christianity is not a religion, but is a relationship with God though Jesus Christ.

You again acknowledge that as a matter of historical fact Jesus had brothers, that Mary did not remain a virgin, but nevertheless, despite that, for the sake of tradition you are content to agree anyway with the Roman Catholic notion of Mary's perpetual virginity.

For you then, tradition takes priority over historical facts. That is your choice.

As for myself, I believe the inerrant Word of God. And as for tradition,
Col. 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
You stand on the Bible and believe in the concept that the Bible is the sole word of God. That is religion!

I do not believe the Bible is the word of God. The Bible is simply incomplete and full of errors. I give God much more credit than that. I think the Bible is man's interpretation of the word of God.

It is moot if Jesus had brothers or not. This is a very old argument that has been discussed many times. I admit that it is likely Jesus had siblings, but if he had brothers and sisters and if Mary was a mundane woman that Jesus becomes rather mundane and his DNA is still among us. So I float into religion and change things around a bit. No different than what the writers of the Bible did years ago.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

As for myself, I believe the inerrant Word of God. And as for tradition,
Col. 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
How about this?

Before the NT was put down in words people relied on Oral Tradition.

Quote:
Paul says that much Christian teaching is to be found in the tradition which is handed down by word of mouth (2 Tim. 2:2). He instructs us to "stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thess. 2:15).

This oral teaching was accepted by Christians, just as they accepted the written teaching that came to them later. Jesus told his disciples: "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me" (Luke 10:16). The Church, in the persons of the apostles, was given the authority to teach by Christ; the Church would be his representative. He commissioned them, saying, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations" (Matt. 28:19).

Old 12-27-2013, 03:28 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
God told the writers what to write down in letters.

2Tm:3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Not at all since Jesus existed prior to coming to earth. God has no mother for He has no beginning. To say Mary is the mother of God is to say God did not exist prior to birth. Mary is the mother of the body that Jesus inhabited while on earth. She is not the mother of God. The physical body is not God.
Why do you guys take everything literally?

It is possible for God to have a mother even though he existed before his mother.

God can do anything in the context of religion.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
God told the writers what to write down in letters.

2Tm:3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

A circular argument is highly illogical.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
Quote:
A circular argument is highly illogical.
There is no real agument with The True Scriptures which all men
will be judged by, that never changes.

The Word Of God found in the Scriptures will stand when the world is on fire.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:09 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
You stand on the Bible and believe in the concept that the Bible is the sole word of God. That is religion!

I do not believe the Bible is the word of God. The Bible is simply incomplete and full of errors. I give God much more credit than that. I think the Bible is man's interpretation of the word of God.

It is moot if Jesus had brothers or not. This is a very old argument that has been discussed many times. I admit that it is likely Jesus had siblings, but if he had brothers and sisters and if Mary was a mundane woman that Jesus becomes rather mundane and his DNA is still among us. So I float into religion and change things around a bit. No different than what the writers of the Bible did years ago.
Quote:
How about this?

Before the NT was put down in words people relied on Oral Tradition.
And yet the Bible reveals itself to be the Word of God. Two examples are the Book of Jeremiah in which Jeremiah records that that Book is all the words that the LORD had spoken to him (Jeremiah 36), and the Book of Revelation which is the revelation that God the Father gave to Jesus Christ to give to John through the agency of an angel (Revelation 1:1-2). The human writers of the Scriptures did not alter the truth but accurately recorded the facts in writing using their own vocabulary and frame of reference.

The fact that Jesus had brothers does not make Jesus mundane. He was conceived of the Holy Spirit. His was a virgin birth. His brothers were conceived through normal human procreation. Jesus did not marry and had no children. Therefore His DNA is not among us.

There is tradition which is in accordance with the truth, and there is tradition which is in opposition to the truth.

You have made your position and your beliefs clear, and it is just as clear that you will continue to hold those beliefs. So just go on 'floating'. But as has been shown, and which even you now admit, the Bible states that Jesus had brothers. However, you choose to believe the tradition of the Roman Catholic Church rather than the Bible. Therefore I have more productive things to do with my time then to continue to discuss this with you.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-27-2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 04:19 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Some Protestants in in the early day did not celebrate Christmas because it was considered a Pagan Catholic Holiday. Some still feel this way whereas others have come around to Christmas. People are free to choose what to believe or practice.

And my religion is no better than theirs.

No harm done by believing Mary was always a Virgin.
I think it could be psychologically harmful to some people who believe it is somehow "holier" to live life without having sex. This illogical notion is further reinforced by the (supposed) celibacy of priests and nuns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity