Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:20 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times

Advertisements

In the Auburn Theological Seminary study entitled, The Gathering Storm-The Educational Debt of Theological Students http://www.auburnseminary.org/sites/...ng%20Storm.pdf Many are leaving seminary with 5-7 years of higher educational training. In 2011 the average amount borrowed exceeded $54,000, with $80,000 not uncommon.

Comments from those interviewed;

“I left the ministry, at least in a large part, due to financial considerations . ”

“I am no longer in the pastoral ministry, in part because of the debt.”

“I couldn’t even consider taking a job in ministry once the student loans became due. I had to return to my previous profession. . .in order to pay the student loan debts.”

“The main issue. . . is that the mountains of debt many graduates labor under precludes clergy serving in settings to which they may be called, but cannot afford. This is a theological concern that isn’t being dealt with very well.”

“We are unable to get a mortgage because of our student loan.”

“I still carry anger. . . concerning my seminary debt. It has affected my call, my outlook, and my willingness to recommend seminary to many who have the potential.”

“Thank you for caring about this silent clergy-killer. Most parish salaries cannot even scrape the top off and provide relief. . . ”

Should denominations or churches help pay these debts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:15 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Why even go to seminary in the first place? Have been active in churches that insist on seminary graduates to even preach or lead and active in churches that allow non-seminary graduates who feel led to preach to serve the church. In my experience the churches that hired people with a real world background, picked up some theology classes online or part time from a local seminary were the best churches. I've gotten to the point where I can't take some snot nosed 27 year old fresh out of seminary seriously, they have lived in a church bubble most of their lives.

Do feel bad for some of the seminary graduates. Knew one that the only job he could find after seminary was managing a Christian bookstore. Had a mountain of undergrad and seminary debt, married and kids making less than $20,000 a year putting books on a shelf.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:26 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
In the Auburn Theological Seminary study entitled, The Gathering Storm-The Educational Debt of Theological Students http://www.auburnseminary.org/sites/...ng%20Storm.pdf Many are leaving seminary with 5-7 years of higher educational training. In 2011 the average amount borrowed exceeded $54,000, with $80,000 not uncommon.

“I left the ministry, at least in a large part, due to financial considerations . ”

“I couldn’t even consider taking a job in ministry once the student loans became due. I had to return to my previous profession. . .in order to pay the student loan debts.”

“The main issue. . . is that the mountains of debt many graduates labor under precludes clergy serving in settings to which they may be called, but cannot afford. This is a theological concern that isn’t being dealt with very well.”

“I still carry anger. . . concerning my seminary debt. It has affected my call, my outlook, and my willingness to recommend seminary to many who have the potential.”

“Thank you for caring about this silent clergy-killer. Most parish salaries cannot even scrape the top off and provide relief. . . ”

Those who carry debt now know what slavery is. Excellent lesson about stewardship.

I've always felt a church demonstrates itself as a living organism if they invest in (cultivate) those who have a calling. Life self replicates... and if there are seeds within the body the church should seek to recognize them and help them grow.

If you want to grow then you are subject to the sower. A good cultivator produces good crops.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
What is the reason for a seminary? To be certified. It is sad that a person has to be ordained by an institution.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
What is the reason for a seminary? To be certified. It is sad that a person has to be ordained by an institution.
Kinda like a study from your own home doctor?

Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post

It's ironic, this is what the Occupy Wall St thing was about. We got people that didn't stop to consider if they'd ever be able to pay back their loans--they just wanted a degree. They hoped that someday they'd have the money. This is a cause for concern. It's a fact that a seminary education does cost tens of thousands of dollars...in order to get a position making $30k/year.

Should I expect a church or denomination to pay the money it cost me to get a degree? No--not if I chose to go on my own before I had a job. If, on the other hand, I was already in ministry and I want to further my education, if they want to help me with it, why not? I've considered going for a doctorate...I don't think it's out of line to suggest that the church or my denomination would assist in a small way to help me with that.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:50 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Proverbs 22:7
The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

The price of education in this country is determined based upon what a student can borrow not what the market is paying for a particular degree or skillset. If you look at the price of tuition adjusted for inflation, you would see a huge difference between what people are paying now to go to college versus what they paid 20 to 40 years ago. No longer can a student work at a part-time job while going to school to pay off educational bills. They have to, for the vast majority, go into debt.

If you look, you will see that the largest reason for this is due to Government-guaranteed student loans. The Government started to guarantee to banks the loans so kids could afford to go to school. This erased the RISK VARIANCE of the banks to lend. They where no longer looking at a potential for the student to pay back the loans. To lend was a guarantee as the money was guaranteed.

This also increased the DEMAND for kids to go to school. While more kids could go as they could get the funding, this increased the COST of TUITION. Basic supply and demand concepts go into effect. The money is there from the kids guaranteed from the government that the Banks would get there investment back. Now the Federal Government is DIRECTLY giving LOANS to kids. They have cut out the middle man in the process.

All of this means an OVERPRICED education for what the market will pay. You now have kids with over 60 grand of debt with a worthless piece of paper to market themselves with. Kids feel pressured to go back to school for a Master's or PHd to set themselves apart from the rest, and in doing so get themselves into more and more unmanageable debt.

How does the government respond? Programs like the "income-based repayment". All of it is designed to get and keep people in educational debt, because I believe the scripture posted above. The borrower is SLAVE to the lender. This gives the government POWER.

As for Seminary Students, it looks to be no different. This is the kind of thing that turns people away from Christ. It gives people the ammo to shoot at the believers that it is all about the money.

I think it is a tragedy that a "Christian" university is acting in the ways of the world to train its Shepherds of the flock. Burdening individuals with debt, increasing the temptation to go after MONEY as opposed to FRUIT. And what a DANGEROUS position that is, because we NEVER want to serve God for MONEY.

The Ministry is not a business. It is service.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Seminaries are money makers for the owners and teachers and thought to be for thsoe who get degrees.

However that has nothing to do with being a good Minister.

KJV Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

BBE Acts 4:13 Now when they saw that Peter and John were without fear, though they were men of no education or learning, they were greatly surprised; and they took note of them that they had been with Jesus.

NIV Acts 4:13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men,

There is no basis for a seminary in Scripture. Those who wish to serve others are the ones who learn and become teachers.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:52 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Seminaries are money makers for the owners and teachers and thought to be for thsoe who get degrees.

KJV Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

BBE Acts 4:13 Now when they saw that Peter and John were without fear, though they were men of no education or learning, they were greatly surprised; and they took note of them that they had been with Jesus.

NIV Acts 4:13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men,

There is no basis for a seminary in Scripture. Those who wish to serve others are the ones who learn and become teachers.
This is a great post!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

So you don't think the benefit of 3 years of direct on-the-job training with Jesus was worth anything? Or that knowledge of the scriptures is important?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity