Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
travric, are you saying "sacred histriy" may not be "factual history"?
In other words, are you saying Noah building the huge ark and a world-wide flood may be sacred history but not factual history
?

Well let me say this. I've always thought there's definitely a link between archaeology and the Bible. I look at archaeology as very powerful in using the scientific method to help elucidate Biblically noted events. But because the Bible has been taken by some to be literal and others allegorical and others believing it is directly coming from God or Jesus we could have problems when it comes to evidence. I know one can be a Christian or Jewish and be a scientist but do you think an investigator can be completely free of bias when we go into the zone of science and events in the Bible.

Now I say all this in the spirit of investigation that at times can be contentious among adherents of science and believers. The work by Patten looks prodigious. But perhaps it could arguably be too flip in its conclusions? Science is great. The Bible is great. Archaeology is great. But for some reson when people mix it all together it more often than not becomes a combustible mix.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If God created evil then I will renounce God.

It is impossible for God to create evil because God is love.

How in the world are you able to define God as being able to create evil? That makes zero theological sense..

The only evil comes from within us when we walk away from God or infinite goodness.

This is Theodicy 101!

Back to the drawing board!
God did create the Evil. But you have to realize the Evil is producing Good. Lets look at what Evil is accomplishing right now from a Spiritual standpoint. Evil is creating a contrast. In other words how good is vision if you never new blindness? How good is light if you never new darkness. Also, the scriptures say what REWARD have you if you only love those that love you? Therefore, we need evil people to be loved by Christians to present them with reward. Jesus' sacrifice was for EVIL people. Many don't realize that. His sacrifice was not for the righteous one but for the evil ones.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
trettep, what you wrote reminded me of this:

John 9:1-3 And, passing along, He perceived a man, blind from birth." (2) And His disciples ask Him, saying, "Rabbi, who
sinned, this man or his parents that he should be born blind? (3) Jesus answered, "Neither this man sinned, nor his parents,
but it is that the works of God may be manifested in him."

Jesus gave the exact reason why the man was born blind.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM

546 posts, read 547,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
?

Well let me say this. I've always thought there's definitely a link between archaeology and the Bible. I look at archaeology as very powerful in using the scientific method to help elucidate Biblically noted events. But because the Bible has been taken by some to be literal and others allegorical and others believing it is directly coming from God or Jesus we could have problems when it comes to evidence. I know one can be a Christian or Jewish and be a scientist but do you think an investigator can be completely free of bias when we go into the zone of science and events in the Bible.

Now I say all this in the spirit of investigation that at times can be contentious among adherents of science and believers. The work by Patten looks prodigious. But perhaps it could arguably be too flip in its conclusions? Science is great. The Bible is great. Archaeology is great. But for some reson when people mix it all together it more often than not becomes a combustible mix.
I like your attitude, travric! I believe that the evidences for proof of Biblical things are there, but just take as an example, the afore mentioned site of Noah's Ark. The Turkish Government has made this an area under their jurisdiction. There have been studies made of it by a few people, but no 'recognized to the world of science group' has had the chance to thoroughly research the site. And the Turkish Government refuses to allow anyone to dig at the site. So here we are, the Biblical believers have enough evidence, but the non-Biblical people are skeptical because evidence has not been provided within their parameters. And so it goes... These types of things have happened before. Personally, I don't think that God wants these things to be proven.

In the present age that we are living, faith is important to God. He wants to know people's hearts, and faith is one method of Him knowing where an individual stands. God is doing this because He is confirming the faith of those that will be His elect. Faith comes by hearing (listening and then understanding), and hearing by the Word of God. So the foundation of faith is the Word of God, and without reading and believing it, we have no foundation for faith. Evidential proof of something like the Ark would remove faith from the equation. It says "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." There is a reward for those that believe in Him and diligently seek Him. It would be a simple matter to believe in God, if we had absolute physical evidence. The day is soon to come, either by the death of the individual, or after the coming First Resurrection, that God will be known to all, and faith will not play a part in it. Resurrected people will be upon the earth at that time, and they will provide all the proof necessary for belief. This will be the end of all speculation of these things.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM

Very well said trumpethim!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
And the Turkish Government refuses to allow anyone to dig at the site. So here we are, the Biblical believers have enough evidence, but the non-Biblical people are skeptical because evidence has not been provided within their parameters. And so it goes... These types of things have happened before.
Interesting. I'd be curious if those in the Turkish government who are overseeing this are Biblical scholars or historians who don't understand archaeolgy's use. On the othe hand, could they be very good archaeologists but with no grounding in Bible scholarship? Question is where are they coming from in the realm of inquiry? And I'm wondering that there's some mistrust here if no access is given to the site. You don't suppose that if it's said that pieces of the Ark exist they may have some issues with the 'history' that follows? And getting down to it, for argument finds along the lines of the Ark are such that it's not the find that makes everybody electric it's really what happens after that with interpretations of its history etc etc.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM

546 posts, read 547,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Interesting. I'd be curious if those in the Turkish government who are overseeing this are Biblical scholars or historians who don't understand archaeolgy's use. On the othe hand, could they be very good archaeologists but with no grounding in Bible scholarship? Question is where are they coming from in the realm of inquiry? And I'm wondering that there's some mistrust here if no access is given to the site. You don't suppose that if it's said that pieces of the Ark exist they may have some issues with the 'history' that follows? And getting down to it, for argument finds along the lines of the Ark are such that it's not the find that makes everybody electric it's really what happens after that with interpretations of its history etc etc.
I watched the video about this, and I believe that it was the one posted in the original post as 'Noah'. Apparently, the Turks allowed some people to visit the site for a long time, and then, as word got out about the site, they had trouble from even terrorists. The Turkish government doesn't seem to have a problem with the fact of it being the Ark, in fact, they named the area a government park and they claim that it IS Noah's Ark. They had an official government ceremony, and built a tourist building next to the site. You can see it on Google Earth at the coordinates of 39 26' 26.42" N 44 14' 05.63 E The observation building is 830 feet north-northwest of the ship. It also seems that in order to get permission to directly visit the site, (not just view it from the observation building), a person or group would have to have some influence with the authorities. The authorities apparently have a great mistrust, for whatever reason, and I know that they said there will be no digging at the site. So the iron that was detected below the surface cannot be examined...at least not now.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 AM

591 posts, read 926,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Very well said trumpethim!
I thought you would have given up by now. Making yourself look a bit silly now. Well, the entire way through you have.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
The authorities apparently have a great mistrust, for whatever reason, and I know that they said there will be no digging at the site
Looks like a loss for scientific inquiry, Bible scholarship and arcaheological investigation.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
I thought you would have given up by now. Making yourself look a bit silly now. Well, the entire way through you have.
When one is in the right, one does not easily give up. I'm making myself look a bit wise now, Well, the entire way through the thread I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity