Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,725 times

Advertisements

With so many different Christian interpretations? Who do you believe has the correct interpretation of the scriptures. I've tried reading the bible myself but become totally lost by all the different interpretations.

I do not understand why GOD didn't have the bible written in such a way that even a simple man like myself could understand it without having a Harvard degree.

Come to think even religious scholars with a Harvard degree don't agree with each other.

I just don't how any of us can be truly saved since we really don't know for certain the true interpretation of the scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
With 7.2 billion people on the planet, your bound to have different interpretations of anything. The only way to be saved is through God's son, Jesus Christ. Accepting him as your lord and savior. If you are confused, go back into history and do research on Christianity. Almost every sect of Christianity is based on that one single truth. If you doubt any of it, ask God himself to prove it to you in prayer. He absolutely will. Then have patience and watch how he manifest it in your life.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:36 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,725 times
Quote:
With 7.2 billion people on the planet, your bound to have different interpretations of anything. The only way to be saved is through God's son, Jesus Christ. Accepting him as your lord and savior. If you are confused, go back into history and do research on Christianity. Almost every sect of Christianity is based on that one single truth. If you doubt any of it, ask God himself to prove it to you in prayer. He absolutely will. Then have patience and watch how he manifest it in your life.
Correct me if I'm wrong are you stating that I only need to accept Jesus as my savior and not worry about reading or understanding the bible.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
With so many different Christian interpretations? Who do you believe has the correct interpretation of the scriptures. I've tried reading the bible myself but become totally lost by all the different interpretations.

I do not understand why GOD didn't have the bible written in such a way that even a simple man like myself could understand it without having a Harvard degree.

Come to think even religious scholars with a Harvard degree don't agree with each other.

I just don't how any of us can be truly saved since we really don't know for certain the true interpretation of the scriptures.
Gretsky, it is not necessary to understand the entire realm of Bible doctrine in order to be saved. To be saved, one simply needs to understand the gospel - the good news of our salvation which is very clearly stated. The gospel message in a nutshell is given in John 3:16.
John 3:16 ''For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes on Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
When the jailer asked Paul and Silas what he must do to be saved, they told him simply, believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.
Acts 16:30 and after he brought them out, he said, ''Sirs, what must I do to be saved?'' 31] They said, ''Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and your household.''
The jailor and his entire family were given the gospel that very night. And they all believed and were eternally saved that night.

What does it mean to believe on Christ? It simply means that in believing that Jesus is the Son of God and that He died for your sins and rose again, you rely on Him, and Him alone for the forgiveness of sins. The apostle Paul stated the mechanics of the gospel message.
1 Cor. 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4] and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
We are told that salvation is by grace, which means that our salvation depends upon what God has done to make our salvation possible, and does not depend on our efforts. And that we receive the free gift of eternal life through faith, and not as a result of works so that no man can boast and take credit for his salvation.
Eph. 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Ephesians 2:10 then goes on to say that we are created for good works. This means that we should produce good works in our spiritual life. It does not mean that works are necessary to be saved, which if it did would contradict verses 8 and 9.

Eternal life is a free gift. We don't work for it. We simply believe on Jesus Christ in order to receive that free gift.
Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
To be saved from the penalty of sin simply believe that Jesus died for your sins and trust in Him for your eternal salvation. It is as simple as that. It really is.

Last edited by Michael Way; 11-10-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 11-10-2013, 08:13 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
And yet, people are being saved every hour of the day.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong are you stating that I only need to accept Jesus as my savior and not worry about reading or understanding the bible.
No, not at all. Yes, you could accept Christ and be saved without reading the Bible. But without it, you wouldn't have any spiritual growth and renewing. The Bible gives you the understanding of God and life and how to live and treat others. It shows us how to be like Christ was on this Earth and prepares us for Heaven. If you don't read it, you will have missed the whole point in being a Christian in the first place and missed your purpose on this Earth. And your here for a reason.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM

238 posts, read 270,475 times
Quote:
With so many different Christian interpretations?
Who do you believe has the correct interpretation of the scriptures.
I've tried reading the bible myself but become totally lost by all the different interpretations.
I do not understand why GOD didn't have the bible written in such a way that
even a simple man like myself could understand it without having a Harvard degree.
I just don't how any of us can be truly saved since we really don't know for certain
the true interpretation of the scriptures.
Very very few would disagree with the following:
-- you must believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, and in His basic gospel

Few Christians would disagree with the following:
-- you must know that you have received the Holy Spirit, making you born-again (from above)

Then, there are many dozens of warning Scriptures, which say:
to be saved, you must endure with your Christian faith until your death.

Then, there are many warning Scriptures, which say:
to be saved, you must try hard to obey God's commands.

Then, there are a few Scriptures, which say:
to be saved, you must confess and repent of your sins (after being born-again).

Hope this simplifies things for you!

P.S. Art thou he, or an old fan of he?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:07 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times
Default Salvation and how to live after you get saved.

Quote:

-Accept Jesus as your savior to be saved

Romans 10:9-11

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”[a]

-After you are saved, Here are the commands he listed over and over and he said what his commands were.

John 14:15
Jesus Promises Another Helper

15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.
==========

When Jesus said if you Love me you will keep my commandments, what were his commandments??? Lets look at every example

John 13
34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

and

John 15:10-14
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

and

1 John 3:23
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us[a] commandment.

and

1 John 4:21
21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.

and

2 John 1:4-6
Walk in Christ’s Commandments

-You are doing the will of the God as seen below in John 6:40 and confirmed above by 1 John 3:23

John 6:40

40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

-And if you are not sure how to Love God and Love One Another, look over all the commands that are in the New Covenant

1,050 New Testament Commands | Christian Assemblies International
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...50352289233627

Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,192 times
I am no theologian and can't/don't quote scripture.

To me, faith is a matter of personal choice and, if one believes in something and lives according to his/her understanding of that faith - what keeps them from being "saved"?

Does not every religion on this earth deal with the concept that we come from somewhere, live here, and, in accordance with how we live, go on to another existence?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Fortunately, a correct interpretation of the scriptures is not a requirement for salvation. I'm sure that God wants us to be able to discern between truth and error, but He is not going to condemn anyone to eternal punishment for erring in doctrine. We're His children, and He loves us far too much to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity