Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 AM

591 posts, read 925,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Nothing .. .. "exploded" and everything was created for no reason and for no apparent purpose.

That makes perfect sense!
0 + 0 = God. Now that does make sense.

Here is the difference between you and I...

Richard Feynman on uncertainty. [VIDEO]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 AM

758 posts, read 847,562 times
I don't have to watch no video! - All I have to do is look back on 7 decades of God always honoring His Promises.

Nothing can't make & keep a promise (An Oath). Understand? No you don't!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I don't have to watch no video! - All I have to do is look back on 7 decades of God always honoring His Promises.
haha If you want to believe that, I won't attempt to stop you. That's not evidence, or factual though, but blind faith.

Quote:
Nothing can't make & keep a promise (An Oath). Understand? No you don't!
That would include God then? We were created from nothing, so, nothing produced things over 14 billion years (6000 is laughable. As there are trees older than that), that has arrived at homo sapiens, which can keep promises.

So, it can.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I don't freely, consciously choose to breathe, I just do because there is a force in me that wills me to live even when I don't consciously think about it. If I eat because I'm hungry it's not 'free will' that causes me to eat. I might have a choice about WHAT I eat, but when I'm hungry I usually grab the quickest thing that appeals to me. This is NOT FREE WILL. This is choice. There are some days that I would rather choose NOT to eat because I might like to lose some weight. BUT hunger wells up in me, NOT BY CHOICE, but because my body demands it and overrides my desire to not eat and I eat. There are occasional times when I win the battle but eventually I will eat. Every choice is the result of something outside our will....we may be happy with some of our choices, others are annoying (having to go to the restroom during a movie, etc.), others we hate to have to make (do I date John or Jim or neither, lol). Did you choose to be born? To be born to certain parents, in a certain country, in a certain year, with certain physical problems? I don't think so. And that only BEGINS the process of what choices we are faced with and then who comes into our life after that, what circumstances transpire. No I don't see how choice equates to free will.

A choice is just that. A cause arises that had nothing to do with our will and THEN we make a choice and those choices, once we have a few years experience, are always made with the results of past experiences in mind, or perhaps as a result of advice from a trusted advisor, or sometimes because SOMETHING in us decides to try something new, but that all depends on the nature of a person. Some are not adventurous, some are, we had NOTHING to do with that.

Our choices are limited by countless things, none of which are in our ultimate control. If I choose to call AAA, a friend, or change a flat tire myself how is that free will when I didn't really want that flat tire to begin with? It's just a choice in response to a cause. Where we are in life right now is the result of thousands of choices determined by what seemed best at the time. We have not the ability to see far beyond the present circumstances to see where each choice will lead us and what affect that choice might have on those around us, and then how it will affect anyone they come in contact with, etc. Unless you know all the facts you don't have free will, it's choices and you don't have all the information to determine if a particular choice is the best choice, you just take the one that SEEMS best at the time.. No, we do not have free will, only God does for He knows the effect it has on everything else.

That's my humble opinion.
Dominoe theory...

Old 02-16-2014, 11:46 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
haha If you want to believe that, I won't attempt to stop you. That's not evidence, or factual though, but blind faith.

That would include God then? We were created from nothing, so, nothing produced things over 14 billion years (6000 is laughable. As there are trees older than that), that has arrived at homo sapiens, which can keep promises.

So, it can.
Lmao...you're funny..

Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Lmao...you're funny..
and... right

Old 02-16-2014, 11:50 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,245 times
- God doesn't give Choices. God Gives Commands. "Thou Shall Not..."

Old 02-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- God doesn't give Choices. God Gives Commands. "Thou Shall Not..."
Anyone that needs the 10 commandments written down is too stupid to be on the planet. They are basic principles the smartest people don't need to read to realise that Murder, Adultery etc is wrong.

Wait.. doesn't the Bible contradict itself on these?

Old 02-16-2014, 12:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I don't freely, consciously choose to breathe, I just do because there is a force in me that wills me to live even when I don't consciously think about it.
You have a choice when you are under water.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Is that all ya got?...Just because the word "choose" is there?...
It is all that is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity