Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the word "inspired" in a Christian context means influenced by The holy spiri
Influenced by The holy spirit. 0 0%
Just influenced by God. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:58 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The problem even Jesus used scripture to validate his position. He did not say the spirit led me to believe, say, teach, etc. He said "it is written".

Everyone claims to have God's spirit and each are led in different directions. Oops God is not a God of confusion. If a person was truly led in a teaching not found in the Bible, so would everyone else be or ........ they all just think they are led. The Bible is a tool, a touch stone, to test the "spirit" against.
And the Holy Spirit descended upon Him like a dove, and a voice came out of the heavens:

"You are My beloved Son, in WHOM I am well-pleased."

(You have heard it said; written or spoken ...but I say!)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
The Bible is spirit inspired so no teaching can contradict it. God does not exist divided. People who want their belief validated claim it is spirit led. That is why we have thousands of differing beliefs. Obviously it is a wrong view of what being led by the spirit means.
Jesus did!

Matthew 5:38-39 Ye have heard that it hath been said, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Jesus did not say, "God said...."

The crux of Jesus' teaching - Humility and Compassion for others.

jmho

Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Jesus did!
Right ON!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Jesus did!
Matthew 5:38-39 Ye have heard that it hath been said, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

jmho
Amen! Jesus is the Living Word of God . . . NOT the words "written in ink." Christ abides with us and His holy Spirit (Comforter) is within our consciousness to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" so we would not need anyone to teach us. THAT is the New covenant and far too many Christians do NOT believe it.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
The problem even Jesus used scripture to validate his position. He did not say the spirit led me to believe, say, teach, etc. He said "it is written".

Everyone claims to have God's spirit and each are led in different directions. Oops God is not a God of confusion. If a person was truly led in a teaching not found in the Bible, so would everyone else be or ........ they all just think they are led. The Bible is a tool, a touch stone, to test the "spirit" against.
You have heard it said (scripture) "An eye for and eye........but I say to you....."

Old 03-12-2014, 04:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
And the Holy Spirit descended upon Him like a dove, and a voice came out of the heavens:

"You are My beloved Son, in WHOM I am well-pleased."

(You have heard it said; written or spoken ...but I say!)?
But Jesus did not say that. He did say that all he speaks the Father gave him, but he then used Scripture. Jesus did not say the Spirit told me, taught me or led me. He said "it is written" etc. A good example for all, unless we think we are better than Jesus?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You have heard it said (scripture) "An eye for and eye........but I say to you....."
OK, a good example. Yes he went on to expand on it, but he started with Scripture and did not say "The spirit ... etc'.

When man says the "spirit led me, the comforter told me", etc that it is arrogance because they are declaring God is in effect speaking through them and anyone who disagrees is not led by God's spirit. Unlike Jesus they usually reject clear scripture at some point in favor of what they believe.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Jesus did!

jmho
He did not contradict it he expanded on it. A vast difference.

Humility and compassion were at the heart but so was listening to and teaching from his Father's word in scripture. Can't go off without being in harmony with it and being able to show it, or the spirit is probably not God's.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
He did not contradict it he expanded on it. A vast difference.

Humility and compassion were at the heart but so was listening to and teaching from his Father's word in scripture. Can't go off without being in harmony with it and being able to show it, or the spirit is probably not God's.
Nowhere in the bible is an account of Jesus saying, "My father has written..." or "God has said..." when these seeming contradictions were uttered. Until you can show otherwise, this remains to be, one speculation as opposed to another.

The Samaritans were abhorred by the Jews simply because they refused to abide by the teachings of priests and church elders, yet...Jesus used them as an example of people who have deep understanding of God...practicing love and compassion.

Luke 10:27-28 ...."do this and you shall live."
Luke 17:14-19, John 4:9

~When brotherly love is present, you can sense the holy spirit rejoicing.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
OK, a good example. Yes he went on to expand on it, but he started with Scripture and did not say "The spirit ... etc'.

When man says the "spirit led me, the comforter told me", etc that it is arrogance because they are declaring God is in effect speaking through them and anyone who disagrees is not led by God's spirit. Unlike Jesus they usually reject clear scripture at some point in favor of what they believe.
This would be the case if that were all there is to it, however anyone who IS led by the Spirit will test his "leadings" using ALL the tools at his disposal, of which scripture is one.

And the point remains that we are not bound by scripture any more than the Spirit is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity