Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That’s all well and good, but you are taking scriptures out of context and therefore perverting the Truth to which you claim to cling.
Could you elaborate on why you believe twin.spin is perverting the Truth and taking Scriptures out of context. I'm curious why you think this. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Could you elaborate on why you believe twin.spin is perverting the Truth and taking Scriptures out of context. I'm curious why you think this. Thanks.
Read back a page or two. He made several false comparisons that SergeantL quickly debunked.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM

250 posts, read 503,535 times
Default Open your eyes

I am not sure what Twin is talking about or who he is reponding to. I will commend SergeantL for his diligence and patience in responding to so many questions and attacks on the Mormon faith.

Twin you should open your eyes and see the Book of Mormon for what it is-- another testament of Jesus Christ. Everyone should read it and learn that for themselves. You do not need to listen to Twin or Sergeant or myself. Ask one of your Mormon friends and read it for yourself. It is beautiful and a very, very powerful witness of the divinity of Christ.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
Twin you should open your eyes and see the Book of Mormon for what it is-- another testament of Jesus Christ. Everyone should read it and learn that for themselves. You do not need to listen to Twin or Sergeant or myself. Ask one of your Mormon friends and read it for yourself. It is beautiful and a very, very powerful witness of the divinity of Christ.
So true zimbabwe! Whether or not one believes it to be God's word or written by a man the BOM definately testifies of Christ and his divinity! Therefore it can not be doubted that Mormons are Christians through and through.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Whether or not one believes it to be God's word or written by a man the BOM definately testifies of Christ and his divinity! Therefore it can not be doubted that Mormons are Christians through and through.
dreameyes, having been on both sides of the fence, I can't help but see the dilemma facing both parties. By parties, I mean the mainstream christians and the mormons. Let me illustrate by using three doctrinal issues that substantiate the wedge between the two groups.

On the one hand, the mormon church believes that 1) God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are three separate and distinct entities, two possessing physical, tangible bodies; 2) Jesus had a spirit brother named Satan or Lucifer; 3) the Book of Mormon as another testament of Jesus Christ. (Am I right so far?) These doctrines were not introduced until Joseph Smith alledgedly found the plates on the Hill Cumorah and translated them into what is now the Book of Mormon.

On the other hand, christianity has its roots beginning in the Bible and also the book of Acts where the term christian was first introduced. Mainstream christians believe that 1) God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are 3 in 1 or the biblical concept of the Trinity; 2) Satan was a created being, having no relation to Jesus at all; and 3) the Bible is the only true Word of God and there are no others.

On one side, you have the mormons who insist that they are christians by virtue of belief in Jesus Christ and having the Bible and the Book of Mormon as their Scripture. They see differences but they are because they believe in modern revelation and that which has been revealed within the last 150+ years is what remained hidden until now and is what is true.

On the other side, you have those in mainstream christianity who insist that mormons are a cult based on the differences in doctrine and the fact that much of what is contained in the Book of Mormon and associated scripture goes against what is preached in the Bible. Obviously, it goes deeper than what I have presented here but I think you can see what I am trying to show.

I think there are some liberal mainstream christian denominations that accept that the mormon church belongs in the category of mainstream christianity but I'm not sure. Maybe someone can enlighten us regarding this. The big separation comes between the mormon ideals/doctrines against those of hard line mainstream christianity. Whether there will continue to be a wedge between the mormon church and those in mainstream circles or a time where others simply throw their hands in the air and say, "all right, we give" remains to be seen. Hopefully, this may give some understanding to those who wonder what all the fuss is about. I sometimes wonder if our Savior Jesus looks down on us and shakes His head thinking, "My children, why do you make it all so difficult on yourselves?"
If I am in error on some doctrine, please set me straight. God bless....

Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I think there are some liberal mainstream christian denominations that accept that the mormon church belongs in the category of mainstream christianity but I'm not sure. Maybe someone can enlighten us regarding this.
This is a good question. Anyone know the answer?
My assumption is that if there are such denominations then they, too, would be considered "not mainstream christian" by other denominations.
I just don't think mormonism will ever fit in. Do any christians?

Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 AM

255 posts, read 608,542 times
When I joined the United Church of Christ, my minister accepted my Mormon baptism and did not require me to be rebaptized (although she would have baptized me again had I asked). I know the UCC is pretty liberal, but it is in full communion with many other mainline churches.

Of course, since I've resigned my Mormon membership, the Mormon church no longer recognizes my baptism, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
I've resigned my Mormon membership, the Mormon church no longer recognizes my baptism, but that's a whole 'nuther story.
Are you saying you requested to be excommunicated?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM

255 posts, read 608,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Are you saying you requested to be excommunicated?
No. You don't have to be excommunicated anymore in order to leave the church. (Thanks to a federal court ruling.)

I resigned my membership and sent a letter to the local bishop stating as much. I received confirmation back from SLC that they had received my letter and removed me from the records of the church.

I've heard rumors that the Mormon church still counts people like me in the stats, but I have no evidence of that, so as far as I know, they have honored my request just as they stated.

I didn't actually join another church until I had resigned my membership, so I hadn't done anything that would qualify me for excommunication.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Sergeant,

I was never excommunicated either. I requested that my name be taken off church records and they sent me a letter requesting that I reconsider in light of what leaving the church would mean to me. They were very nice but I replied that this was what I wanted so they then sent a notification to me when the process was completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity