Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 12:39 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,743 times

Advertisements

non western beliefs. What they are saying is that it is the individual destiny of people to become more like God, and at the end of life, in the afterlife, to become individual presences of God. What this means is that they believe in an individualized presence of God and that people are supposed to become that through living on the earth. They believe that God is actually a person, which is fine with me. They also teach that the only way to permanently become a God is to be married in an LDS Temple and that people who are not married, specfically in the Temple, do not go to what they term the "highest celestial heaven". They have a belief that this level of heaven is the most elite and that families (family is a cornerstone of their religion) ought to go to this level together. Women who do not marry are "denied" the highest levels of heaven, and divorced people are supposedly separated from their children. They also believe that the highest celestial heaven has a physical dimension where they can continue to have sexual relations.

Hinduism is actually the oldest and truest religion in the world today, not Mormonism, but I won't post here again about it because I don't want to. It is a Holy Spirit thing.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:19 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,493,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
OK, but what makes you confident that your perspective is of God and not your human "manmade" interpretation? In short, you are preaching that the LDS are wrong, but you only base such assertions on your "manmade" construct of your assumed correct interpretation of the Bible.
Sergeant1: Everyone operates on faith--everyone. Even atheists and evolutionists. But this thread is not about defending my beliefs--it is about the right of Mormons to claim that they SHARE my beliefs and that they have the right to claim the name Christian.

But since you asked. I get my confidence from this:

The Bible was written by as many as 40 authors over a span of around 1600 years of scientifically verifiable history! With so many different writers and with such a long span of time, there is a consistency in the Bible that only God could control and oversee. The Book of Mormon? "Given" to one man in secret containing peoples and places never able to be scientifically verified! From an objective standpoint, the Bible still wins hands down in the area of trustworthiness.

Preterist

Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
I think what mormons believe is mysterious to say the least. I live in one of these communities and fankly from my observation I find many of their customs and religious practices strange, but some appear to be similar to my own beliefs. For example one year I went to their Easter play and they showed Jesus dying on the cross. Well isn't that a Christian belief? However my friend who has made it her personal mission to convert me to LDS stated she did not raise her children reading the HOLY BIBLE. She reads the BIBLE, but not as much as their book. She says her goal is to read the BIBLE more. Often when I quote BIBLE scriptures that should be familiar to any Christian, she does not have a clue as to what I am talking about. How can u be a Christian and not read or belive the HOLY BIBLE? This prompted me to look a little closer at mormon doctrine and I have come to the conclusion it is inconsistent with Biblical Christian Doctrine. Are mormons Christians by doctrine? I would say no. Do they have the right to call themselves Christians? Well they can call themselves anything they want, but the "proof is in the pudding." If the only standard to claim Christianity is a belief in Jesus Christ...then anyone including the devil can claim to be a Christian. Christians should not think it strange that there are many religions that claim to be "Christian"- the BIBLE speaks of this and says "we (Christians) should not be deceived..." Early in my Christian walk I concerned about the "who is right and wrong" issues, but a wise person said something to me that resolved all of that. She said "when it is all said and done there are going to be people in Heaven that u did not think would make it in. There will be some people missing that u thought for sure would make it in, but the most important thing is to be there yourself."

Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
I get my confidence from this:

The Bible was written by as many as 40 authors over a span of around 1600 years of scientifically verifiable history! With so many different writers and with such a long span of time, there is a consistency in the Bible that only God could control and oversee. The Book of Mormon? "Given" to one man in secret containing peoples and places never able to be scientifically verified! From an objective standpoint, the Bible still wins hands down in the area of trustworthiness.

Preterist
Well, that assumes the authors of the Bible were not writing stories based on preceding books. As far as the Bible being scientifically verified is concerned, hardly. The only thing we know for sure is the people and periods mentioned in the Bible existed. I can write fictional books on American history and then claim history proves my stories are true. I can also write fictional stories based on history using actual persons and make even greater claims. There is no scientific evidence that any of the events in the Bible ever took place. There is no evidence of mass crucifixions. There is no evidence the walls of Jericho came down. There is no evidence of the Exodus. The only written records of a quasi scientific nature are those of Josephus.

Next, you assume much in how the Bible was revealed, by stating the Book of Mormon was secretly revealed thus inferring the Bible was not. The truth is no one knows how any of the Bible’s books were revealed to the individual authors. If you think the authors were standing in the town square while a shaft of light carried God’s audible words into their heads, I have a bridge in Brooklyn you should buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
But this thread is not about defending my beliefs--it is about the right of Mormons to claim that they SHARE my beliefs and that they have the right to claim the name Christian.
I’m sorry; could you be so kind as to show me where this is in the title of the thread? I must have missed it. I thought this was a thread about what Mormons really believe. I can’t find anything in the title about Mormons claim to share your beliefs. I will, however, honor your desire and not ask you questions about your beliefs. Too bad it isn't a two way street. Maybe you could start a thread about what you believe so I could learn more.

What do Mormons really believe? Let's discuss Mormonism!!!

Last edited by SergeantL; 12-12-2007 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph12 View Post
If you want to know what mormons truly believe, study their doctrine as taught by leaders of their church. Here is an article about Mormons and Christianity:

The Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom He Hath Sent

It is your responsibility to educate yourself first and then make a decision.

Nah, I would rather ask Preterist or someone outside of the LDS faith. They are more balanced and have expert knowledge of the Bible and Mormonism. In fact, I have some questions about the Hindu religion, so I need to go down to the local Synagogue and ask the Rabbi.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,488 times
Sergeant, I was told when I was a member that the LDS church believed that the Bible was true "as far as it is translated correctly". Did the church ever state which parts they felt were not correct or was that left up to the individual to decide on?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Sergeant, I was told when I was a member that the LDS church believed that the Bible was true "as far as it is translated correctly". Did the church ever state which parts they felt were not correct or was that left up to the individual to decide on?
I will refer you to this website:

http://scriptures.lds.org/jst/contents

This is the online Joseph Smith Translation (JST) of selected scripture in the Bible. This contains the scriptures we commonly believe are incorrectly translated or did not contain the—full—text of the original author. I don’t want to represent this as a complete list of what we consider to be incorrectly or incompletely translated scripture. There—may—be more of which I am unaware.

Next, the JST is not incorporated into the body of the KJV Bible. If a particular verse has a JST version, then there is an annotation and the reader can go to a separate section containing the JST information. We believe it to be important not to mess with the original text of the KJV, so comparisons between the KJV and the JST can be made.

Finally, I am sure you understand there are a number of scriptures where we don't agree with mainstream Christians on meaning, such as Baptism for the dead and the three bodies contained in First Corinthians 15.

Last edited by SergeantL; 12-12-2007 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,907 times
I was watching MSNBC today and I heard one of the presidential canidates make reference to Romney's Mormon religion believing that Jesus and Satan are brothers. Romney, who is a devout Mormon sure did not deny this belief. Mormons and Christians have nothing in common. This teaching goes against everything we believe in.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,733,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I was watching MSNBC today and I heard one of the presidential canidates make reference to Romney's Mormon religion believing that Jesus and Satan are brothers. Romney, who is a devout Mormon sure did not deny this belief. Mormons and Christians have nothing in common. This teaching goes against everything we believe in.
And LDS spokeswoman said that claim is "usually raised by those who wish to smear the Mormon faith" ... however "We believe, as other Christians believe and as Paul wrote, that God is the father of all. That means that all beings were created by God and are his spirit children. Christ, on the other hand, was the only begotten in the flesh and we worship him as the son of God and the savior of mankind. Satan is the exact opposite of who Christ is and what he stands for."

Old 12-12-2007, 06:22 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
And LDS spokeswoman said that claim is "usually raised by those who wish to smear the Mormon faith" ... however "We believe, as other Christians believe and as Paul wrote, that God is the father of all. That means that all beings were created by God and are his spirit children. Christ, on the other hand, was the only begotten in the flesh and we worship him as the son of God and the savior of mankind. Satan is the exact opposite of who Christ is and what he stands for."

Do you believe Jesus is God? Do you believe in the Trinity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity