Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:43 PM

225 posts, read 162,158 times

Advertisements

Dear friends in Christ,

What is you'd like to ask me about Catholicism?

Please friends be chairitable and specific.

God Bless you,

IamACatholic [Patrick]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 841,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamACatholic View Post
Dear friends in Christ,

God Bless you,

IamACatholic [Patrick]
Why do so many who bow to the Roman church call everyone else by a derogatory name to put them down? I mean calling everyone else a "protestant" as though we came from your church or exist only to protest Rome.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:03 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Why do so many who bow to the Roman church call everyone else by a derogatory name to put them down? I mean calling everyone else a "protestant" as though we came from your church or exist only to protest Rome.
I am guilty of using the term Protestant or Reformer. I had no idea it was an insulting remark.

So what denomination are you?

Old 04-09-2014, 05:06 PM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
Catholics do not consider "everyone else" who is not in communion with the Roman Catholic Church to be a Protestant. For example, Catholics do not ever refer to the members of the Eastern Orthodox churches as "Protestants". However, it is an historical fact that most modern English-speaking Christians who are neither Catholic nor Orthodox derive their religion from different groups that separated from the Catholic Church during the period known as the Reformation, or from later groups that divided further among themselves, and it is the adherents of these groups who are generally known as "Protestants". You should also be aware of the origin of the name, which has nothing to do with "protesting" Rome, but instead referred to a formal "protest" made by certain Lutheran princes against a decree of the imperial parliament (known as the "Diet") that Catholic worship should not be forbidden. These princes protested that they felt themselves free to forbid Catholic worship and to persecute Catholics within their territories, although that first meaning of the term is largely forgotten today. Later on, Lutherans, Calvinists, and Anglicans all willingly called themselves "Protestants", and other groups that broke off from them (such as the Baptists, which fractured off from the Anglicans around 1600) share in their "Protestant" heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am guilty of using the term Protestant or Reformer. I had no idea it was an insulting remark.
It isn't remotely insulting, which is why so many Protestants willingly, happily, and cheerfully describe themselves by that term. For example, in her Coronation Oath, Queen Elizabeth II, the present monarch of the United Kingdom, swore that she would "to the utmost of [her] power maintain in the United Kingdom the Protestant Reformed Religion established by law."

Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Why do you assume people are using it as a derogatory name to put people down?

Really? Is it the "P" word? I've never heard anyone claim it's used to put someone down. Where did you get the idea it was?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-09-2014 at 05:56 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Dear friends in Christ,

God Bless you,

IamACatholic [Patrick]
Why do you feel the need for an intercessor other than Jesus?

Old 04-09-2014, 06:42 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

I can answer your question with another question?

Why are you a pastor running a Protestant Church?

Why do you marry couples?

Why do you offer spiritual advice to your church members?

Why do you lead your congregation in prayer?

Why do you preach with Power Point?

And lastly:

Memorize these verses:

John 20:21-23

21 So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. Just as the Father has sent me, I also send you.” 22 And after he said this, he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, they are forgiven; if you retain anyone’s sins, they are retained.”

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

296 posts, read 238,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Catholics & Protestants believe that as children of God we can pray for each other here on earth. In the same way we as Catholics believe that we can ask our departed one's to pray for us.

Rev. 5:8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Praying to saints dates back to the earliest Christian records. The Early Church Father's believed it and wrote about it:

Hermas

“[The Shepherd said:] ‘But those who are weak and slothful in prayer, hesitate to ask anything from the Lord; but the Lord is full of compassion, and gives without fail to all who ask him. But you, [Hermas,] having been strengthened by the holy angel [you saw], and having obtained from him such intercession, and not being slothful, why do not you ask of the Lord understanding, and receive it from him?’” (The Shepherd 3:5:4 [A.D. 80]).

Origen

“But not the high priest [Christ] alone prays for those who pray sincerely, but also the angels . . . as also the souls of the saints who have already fallen asleep” (Prayer 11 [A.D. 233]).

The Liturgy of St. Basil

“By the command of your only-begotten Son we communicate with the memory of your saints . . . by whose prayers and supplications have mercy upon us all, and deliver us for the sake of your holy name” (Liturgy of St. Basil [A.D. 373]).

Ambrose of Milan

“May Peter, who wept so efficaciously for himself, weep for us and turn towards us Christ’s benign countenance” (The Six Days Work 5:25:90 [A.D. 393]).

Jerome

“You say in your book that while we live we are able to pray for each other, but afterwards when we have died, the prayer of no person for another can be heard. . . . But if the apostles and martyrs while still in the body can pray for others, at a time when they ought still be solicitous about themselves, how much more will they do so after their crowns, victories, and triumphs?” (Against Vigilantius 6 [A.D. 406]).

Augustine

“A Christian people celebrates together in religious solemnity the memorials of the martyrs, both to encourage their being imitated and so that it can share in their merits and be aided by their prayers” (Against Faustus the Manichean [A.D. 400]).
“There is an ecclesiastical discipline, as the faithful know, when the names of the martyrs are read aloud in that place at the altar of God, where prayer is not offered for them. Prayer, however, is offered for the dead who are remembered. For it is wrong to pray for a martyr, to whose prayers we ought ourselves be commended” (Sermons 159:1 [A.D. 411]).
“At the Lord’s table we do not commemorate martyrs in the same way that we do others who rest in peace so as to pray for them, but rather that they may pray for us that we may follow in their footsteps” (Homilies on John 84 [A.D. 416]).
“Neither are the souls of the pious dead separated from the Church which even now is the kingdom of Christ. Otherwise there would be no remembrance of them at the altar of God in the communication of the Body of Christ” (The City of God 20:9:2 [A.D. 419]).

Old 04-09-2014, 07:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Dear friends in Christ,

God Bless you,

IamACatholic [Patrick]
Hi, Patrick. Nice to meet you.

No, no questions from here. I was born and raised Catholic.

But if you have any questions for an Animist with Deist inclinations - I'm your guy.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 PM

296 posts, read 238,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hi, Patrick. Nice to meet you.

No, no questions from here. I was born and raised Catholic.

But if you have any questions for an Animist with Deist inclinations - I'm your guy.
What, "no Animist" forum here???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity