Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times

Advertisements

I spoke with a Seven Day Adventist this weekend and they asked this question...Is following the 10 Commandments Required for Christians?

Can Christians:
Have and worship other Gods?
Make graven images, and bow down to them?
Take the name of the Lord thy God in vain?
Forget about the Sabbath and not keep it holy?
Dishonor their father and thy mother?
Kill?
Steal?
Commit Adultery ?
Bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Covet?

So their usual question is why do Christians think only 9 of the 10 C's apply to them when God wrote it down with his own finger, Jesus kept the Sabbath, Jesus said he didnt come to abolish any laws, the apostles kept the Sabbath even after Jesus death?

How do you respond to people when they try to corner you on this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Following Christ is about a relationship with Christ through faith. It is not about keeping the 10 C's.

Give them Paul's testimony...

Philippians 3:4-9 - If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless. 7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,

9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM

1,030 posts, read 841,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I spoke with a Seven Day Adventist this weekend and they asked this question...Is following the 10 Commandments Required for Christians?

Can Christians:
Kill?
Steal?
Commit Adultery ?
Covet?

So their usual question is why do Christians think only 9 of the 10 C's apply to them when God wrote it down with his own finger, Jesus kept the Sabbath, Jesus said he didnt come to abolish any laws, the apostles kept the Sabbath even after Jesus death?

I take them to the New Testament and answer all of those questions from there. Then I take them to the New Testament teachings for us today. Then I take them to the history of their church and the false prophet that built it and show them the difference between the church Jesus established and their false religion. I then show them the gospel and how to be saved. It's always a witnessing opportunity when these cults come knocking on my door. I always assume God has sent them to here the Gospel. Very few ever come back and those are usually the ones who come back to thank me for helping them see the truth.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
I take them to the New Testament and answer all of those questions from there. Then I take them to the New Testament teachings for us today. Then I take them to the history of their church and the false prophet that built it and show them the difference between the church Jesus established and their false religion. I then show them the gospel and how to be saved. It's always a witnessing opportunity when these cults come knocking on my door. I always assume God has sent them to here the Gospel. Very few ever come back and those are usually the ones who come back to thank me for helping them see the truth.

That is where they usually try to pull the trap. The NT shows Jesus keeping the Sabbath and people keeping it after his death in the book of Acts.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:

Can Christians:
Kill?
Steal?
Commit Adultery ?
Covet?

9 of the 10 are repeated as bonding on Christians in the NT. Only the Sabbath is not mentioned as binding as every day is for the Lord for Christians.

Jesus didn't abolish them he fulfilled them.

ASV Matthew 5:17 Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets: I came not to destroy, but to fulfil.

When fulfilled they ended. Kinda like fulfilling a contract and it ..... ends.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Saturday or Sunday or other days of the week where believers can take time from the busy week and worship the Lord ..Does not matter which day of the week you have your sabbath , as long as your have one and are stable in your choice.... See God is looking to the heart not the letter of the law , actually Jesus spirit will not answer legalism as it is faithlessness ..... Jesus also said He and He alone will judge people who obey the Sabbath so then Jesus will judge people to judge people on the Sabbath

Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Isn't it a shame "Christians" can't seem to obey Christs command and come knocking on our doors

Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 841,153 times
Quote:
That is where they usually try to pull the trap. The NT shows Jesus keeping the Sabbath and people keeping it after his death in the book of Acts.
I don't see how anyone who knows the scriptures could be trapped with anything in the early part of Acts. But maybe some could somehow.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Default Is the Sabbath more important than we think it is in the eyes of God, Are the 10 Commandments Required for Christians?

If you see our role as "pets in the process of obedience training" and NOT as "children in the process of maturing" . . . I suppose you could believe that obedience to the letter of the commands is of paramount concern. I subscribe to the "children in the process of maturing" view and consider the "spirit" of the commands as the important lessons. YMMV.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I don't see how anyone who knows the scriptures could be trapped with anything in the early part of Acts. But maybe some could somehow.
They brought these verses to attention and claimed Christians overlook verse 21, because it goes against what they want to believe

Acts 15:21

21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

-Claims It shows that they will learn everything they need to learn every Sabbath along with the 4 basic commands they were given.

Acts 20:7

6 And we sailed away from Philippi after the days of unleavened bread, and came unto them to Troas in five days; where we abode seven days.
7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

-Claims Verse 6 shows they were still keeping Passover and Unleavened Bread Sabbaths and verse 7 shows that Paul started preaching to them on Saturday going into Sunday since the day started at sunset and he preached until midnight since he was leaving sunday morning when the sun came up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity