Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,429,769 times

Advertisements

Following is a brief description of and the purpose for The Mosaic Law, with emphasis on the Ten Commandments and particularly the sabbath.

I. The Mosaic Law.

The Mosaic Law in its entirety is set forth in the first five books of the Old Testament.

The Mosaic Law was given to and only to Israel of the Old Testament-the Old Covenant. Exodus 19:3; Leviticus 26:46; Romans 3:19;9:4.

The Gentiles were never the recipients of the Law. Deuteronomy 4:8; Romans 2:12-14.

The Church-age believer is not under the Law. Romans 6:14; Galatians 2:19.

The Mosaic Law is divided into three different areas known as Codices-sets of rules.

The first Codex is the moral code and includes the ten commandents. Exodus 20:1-17; Deuteronomy 5:6-21. Codex 1 defines morality and shows that man is a sinner and is unable to save himself and therefore in need of a Savior. Jesus Christ fulfilled this part of the law by His perfect life during His First Advent on earth.

The second Codex is the spiritual code and is a shadow Christology and Soterology. Hebrews 10:1. The Levitical Offerings, the Holy Days, the Tabernacle, the Levitical Priesthood, the Jewish believers worship are all included in Codex 2. Jesus Christ fulfilled this part of the law with His death, burial, resurrection, ascension and session at the right hand of God the Father.

The third Codex is the social code and involved laws pertaining to diet, sanitation, quarantine, land conservation, military service, crime, taxation, marriage, etc... Jesus Christ fulfilled Codex 3 by His obedience to the laws of the land.

Since Jesus Christ fulfilled the law in its entirety, the law does not carry over into the church-age. Hebrews 10:4 'For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.'

During the dispensation of the church, the believer is under a greater law. The law of spirituality. Romans 8:2-4; 1 Corinthians 13; Galatians 5:18, 22, 23.

Romans 8:2-4 'For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death. 3) For what the law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did; sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4) in order the requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.'

Gal 5:18 'But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23) gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.'

DOCTRINE OF THE MOSAIC LAW

II. The Ten Commandments.

The Ten Commandments were given to the Jews after they left their 400 years of captivity in Egypt and were designed to allow the Jews to establish themselves as a nation and as a free people and keep them from going back into slavery. Because the Jews did not keep the commandments, and thereby broke the Covenant that God had established with their forefathers after leaving Egypt (Jeremiah chapter 11) they ended up back in slavery in 586 B.C.

While the Mosiac Law as a whole was given only to the Jews and is not operational during the church-age, the Ten Commandments themselves have always applied to the human race in general both to believer and unbeliever, as a set of principles designed for the protection and orderly function of the human race during human history. The Ten Commandments or Decalogue summarize God's principles with regard to freedom. They are in fact a system of spirituality-morality.

The first five commandments deal with spirituality. Not as in being filled with the Holy Spirit but in the sense of man's potential relationship with God.

Although the Ten Commandments are laws that were given to the Jews as Codex one of the Mosiac Law, contained in these laws are principles by which the entire human race must live. The last five of the Ten Commandments address man's relationship to man. For instance, at no time in human history for either believer or unbeliever has murder ever been acceptable. Murder is a violation of another persons freedom and right to life. Stealing is a violation of another persons right to own property. In order for a national entity to function properly and for its citizens to pursue their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness there must be laws, standards, and principles by which a society must live. And thus, God gave the Ten Commandments to Israel to protect them. But those same principles apply to everyone of every period in history.

The Ten Commandments do not define sin as such, although certainly the prohibitions listed are sins. The sins listed in the Decalogue are such that they intrude on the freedom of others. Sin is defined in the Bible by passages such as Proverbs 6:16-35; Colossians 3:5-10 and Eph 5:1-6.

This is a very general and therefore a very incomplete description of the Ten Commandments but I hope it will give a better understanding of their purpose. I do want to touch on the forth commandment--the sabbath.

III. The Sabbath.

Exodus 20:8 'Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9) ''Six days you shall labor and do all your work. 10) but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. 11) For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day, therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

Notice in verse 10 that it mentions 'your sojourner who stays with you.' The only time that a gentle was required to keep the sabbath was when he was staying with the Jews.

The sabbath of course was a day of rest and was observed on Saturday. After six days of work, the Jews were to take a day of rest in order to orient themselves to the grace of God. They were to cease from working and to think of all that God had done for them. God's policy toward man is grace, even under the law that Israel lived under. Grace is everything that God is free to do for man on the basis of the Cross, which from the standpoint of the Jew's was still future.

But the principle of the day of rest was established in Exodus 20:11 wherein God rested on the seventh day. Not because He was tired (He wasn't), but because He had completed all that He had determined to do. As a memorial, the Jews were to also rest on the seventh day.

The first time anyone was commanded to keep the sabbath is recorded in Exodus 16:22-30.

As recorded by Moses in Genesis 2:2-3 'And by the seventh day God completed His work which He had done; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3) Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.'

The sabbath was not instituted at the time of Genesis 2:2-3. In writing this, Moses was simply telling the Jews at Sinai the meaning as to why they were to keep the sabbath. Again, the command to keep the sabbath was not given until Exodus 16:22-30. Prior to that time, there was no sabbath law which had to be kept.

Now why when the church-age begin did the church begin to worship on Sunday? Because it was the day that Jesus had been resurrected on. Sunday is not a sabbath or a holy day. But Sunday is the day the church-age began. The day of Pentecost.

The Bible authorizes gathering together on the first day of the week, Sunday, for the purpose of worship. Acts. 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2; and Colossians 2:16-17.

Acts 20:7 'And on the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to depart the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight.'

1 Cor. 16:2 'On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come.'

Col. 2:16-17 'Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--17) things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.'

Now sabbatarians will say that Col. 2:16-17 is not referring to the weekly sabbath. As I wish to bring this post to a close, I will present these links to answer that.

Col.2 sabbaths or Sabbath

Col 2:14-16 clearly teaches that the sabbath was abolished and nailed to cross!

The sabbath was a shadow and a type. In Christ, the type is done away with. The reality of Christ replaces the shadow.

Entering the True Sabbath Rest

The believers rest is stated in Hebrews chapter 4. The faith-rest life.

Faith Rest Life

I've tried to present sufficent information here to be of help to those who want to learn something they may not of known about the Mosaic law, the Ten Commandments and particularly, the sabbath. I hope readers will take time to go into the links provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:36 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,433,733 times
Good stuff Mike. Well presented.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:24 PM

15 posts, read 58,216 times
If you get a chance watch this.

Total Onslaught - 217B - The Crime of All Ages.avi

Old 07-04-2010, 03:38 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,659,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
To everyone out there who has stood beside me and accepted my beliefs in keeping the Sabbath, and the Ten Comandments of God...but really does not fully understand the reasons why...or what keeping it and honoring the Ten Commandments as a whole means to me and my salvation...why I believe the way I do...I URGE YOU!...PLEASE!...watch this video...it is an hour and a half long...but SO worth it!...God Bless You!...and for anyone out there who has done nothing but mock me and call me self-righteous...and "threatening"...and a liar...and "of another spirit" and all those other very loving, kind labels, I ask you to take the time to watch this video......God Bless you. It totally answers ANY and ALL questions you may have of me. Thank you....

...and Thank you too kjsphoto..God Bless you dear sister/brother in Christ Jesus.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:23 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
To everyone out there who has stood beside me and accepted my beliefs in keeping the Sabbath, and the Ten Comandments of God...but really does not fully understand the reasons why...or what keeping it and honoring the Ten Commandments as a whole means to me and my salvation...why I believe the way I do...I URGE YOU!...PLEASE!...watch this video...it is an hour and a half long...but SO worth it!...God Bless You!...and for anyone out there who has done nothing but mock me and call me self-righteous...and "threatening"...and a liar...and "of another spirit" and all those other very loving, kind labels, I ask you to take the time to watch this video......God Bless you. It totally answers ANY and ALL questions you may have of me. Thank you....

...and Thank you too kjsphoto..God Bless you dear sister/brother in Christ Jesus.
Sorry, I have heard those stories for years, I don't need to waste another 90 minutes of my life hearing heresy. I'll stick with the word of God thank you.

John 6: 28-65

"They said therefore unto him, What must we do, that we may work the works of God?
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

They said therefore unto him, What then doest thou for a sign, that we may see, and believe thee? what workest thou? Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, He gave them bread out of heaven to eat. Jesus therefore said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, It was not Moses that gave you the bread out of heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which cometh down out of heaven, and giveth life unto the world. They said therefore unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. Jesus said unto them. I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall not hunger, and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
But I said unto you, that ye have seen me, and yet believe not. All that which the Father giveth me shall come unto me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

For I am come down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the will of him that sent me, that of all that which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that every one that beholdeth the Son, and believeth on him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. The Jews therefore murmured concerning him, because he said, I am the bread which came down out of heaven.

And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how doth he now say, I am come down out of heaven? Jesus answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day.

It is written in the prophets, And they shall all be taught of God. Every one that hath heard from the Father, and hath learned, cometh unto me.
Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he that is from God, he hath seen the Father.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth hath eternal life. I am the bread of life.
Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread which cometh down out of heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. I am the living bread which came down out of heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: yea and the bread which I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.
The Jews therefore strove one with another, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? Jesus therefore said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, ye have not life in yourselves. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath eternal life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me, and I in him. As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father; so he that eateth me, he also shall live because of me. This is the bread which came down out of heaven: not as the fathers ate, and died; he that eateth this bread shall live for ever. These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum. Many therefore of his disciples, when the heard this, said, This is a hard saying; who can hear it? But Jesus knowing in himself that his disciples murmured at this, said unto them, Doth this cause you to stumble?
What then if ye should behold the Son of man ascending where he was before?
It is the spirit that giveth life; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I have spoken unto you are spirit, are are life.
But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who it was that should betray him.
And he said, For this cause have I said unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it be given unto him of the Father. "

No law, no works, no commandments, just faith.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 PM

I love how a pure reading of the word silences false teachers. It is easy to poke holes in individual verses but it is sure hard to write “lie†under words spoken by Jesus!

This is why I talk about posting complete passages and not just verses, it works.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,433,733 times
hilgi,

It isn't about works.....it is about staying true to what God wants in us. Christ absorbed all of it....and keeping the sabbath is absorbed in Christ, and we keep the sabbath in the feast of tabernacles, when we go to church and praise Jesus, who is the centerpiece of the law fulfilled. By believing in Christ, we keep the commandments and yearn for the sabbath day of the week.

Do you see?

We don't keep the law as a basis for salvation, but a basis for salvific growth.
The law is written in our hearts, it is the same law, that is foundational in and of the spirit, as it always has been. Just some thoughts to ponder.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
hilgi,

It isn't about works.....it is about staying true to what God wants in us. Christ absorbed all of it....and keeping the sabbath is absorbed in Christ, and we keep the sabbath in the feast of tabernacles, when we go to church and praise Jesus, who is the centerpiece of the law fulfilled. By believing in Christ, we keep the commandments and yearn for the sabbath day of the week.

Do you see?

We don't keep the law as a basis for salvation, but a basis for salvific growth.
The law is written in our hearts, it is the same law, that is foundational in and of the spirit, as it always has been. Just some thoughts to ponder.
That may be what you believe but others say I will not see heaven if I don't follow the 10 commandments and keep the Sabbath.

God sees me doing that because he sees Jesus on the cross.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,429,769 times
In view of some recent threads on the sabbath and the ten commandments, I thought it a good idea to bring this old thread back up to the top of the forum with the hope that it might help people realize that the church does not observe the Saturday sabbath which belonged to Israel. I hope people will read the original post and look at all three sections. I hope also that people will go into the studies - the links that I provided. Especially these two which explain the church-age believers moment by moment rest in Christ. The moment by moment sabbath which is entered into by the believer who mixes the promises of God with his faith and ceases from worrying about the circumstances of life.

Faith Rest Life

Entering the True Sabbath Rest

Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 AM

130 posts, read 164,455 times
hilgi, What about this chain of verses in context(the last verse is a Good One too), and does faith by itself cover all the commands listed hear JESUS taught us to keep?, in the sense that we don't have to keep them because we have faith, just faith, how do we have Jesus-God, saying to keep the law and teach the least of it, some has changed of what we keep in the OT to the NT CERTIANLY a lot has, but it is not all gone, how would we have a Saturday Sabbath preached 61 times in the NT and not have it? The Lord's Day is never called the Sabbath in the Bible, Why teach something 61 times and then say well you don't have to keep it now? When Jesus, God, worked so hard to say how we non-legalistally keep it correctly and then abolish it, wierd

Why list the ten commandments over and over in the NT and say you won't see heaven if you break these, if faith was all it was? and you just didn't have to do anything with hating a person like Jesus says here and it is murder, Why state the law hundereds of times in the NT and say, we don't keep it, Why is it He quoted as the apostles did the law too so many times, not all of it though, and how to actually go beyond its OT obedience, more deeply how to obey it, to more correctly obey it and then say, we don't keep it at all, the law does not save, but one must use it lawfully

Man to think how one would take all the quotations out of the NT of the law and say, Just two commandments, don't worry about all the doctrine Jesus and the apostles taught, oh no just faith, it was just for Jews, given the apostle to the Gentiles was the main teacher of the law in the NT, God is brilliant and very smart and very frightening, and I love Him, I live understanding goodness, I like clear rules of right and wrong and the stories of people how they obeyed or didn't and the moral lessons in the NT as well as the OT, it is fun listening to God talk to me and say, you really get it, it isn't so hard,

Then He works a couple signs and wonders, you know My Daddy says, it is fun being good and knowing that you are keeping the rules because you love Me, you know I love you that you are good that you are perfect as I asked, I said Job and Noah were, it made me happy. You know if you miss anything My Daddy says, My Blood took it all away, My Daddy says you know that Loving and doing what I asked didn't take away from the cross and what I did, but He says certianly less sin has happened because you loved Me to do what I asked in faith, so that both you and others sinned less, Maybe He says I had to go thru a bit less, because in love you obeyed and because you kept and keep my commandments others will sin less, maybe some won't even go to hell when they were on their way tooo.... because you loved to stop yourself from sinning and warn others too as John the baptist did, an example, lived out,

but you know you did not pay for your sins or others on the cross, I did, and for everyones, but love covers a multitude of sins, your love you know My Daddy says, that you loved to lay your life down as I did, to help people stop going into sinful thoughts and actions to risk your life and relationships as I said people would, because I did not come to send peace but division, You know you Love Me first My Daddy says and even losing everyone on this planet and your life is worth ME, I love you too Daddy.....I know He says cause you keep my commandments because you know them and love Me as your Saviour, not that it ever could take away your sins

Matthew Ch 5
15Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
17Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
21Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
23Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
25Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
26Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.
27Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
33Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
34But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
38Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
41And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
46For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity