Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,384,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Yes, God is immortal as in being from everlasting to everlasting - Psalm 90 v 2

However the wicked are Not immortal because according to Psalm 92 v 7 the wicked will be destroyed forever [ annihilated ].
The wicked one is the carnal side of man. It is the Cain, Esau and the Saul of Tarsus in all of us, that killed and sold its birthright and became alienated from God in his mind, and in thinking himself separated from God turned into a religious zealot that sought God through is misconceptions of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:32 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,147,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Yes, God is immortal as in being from everlasting to everlasting - Psalm 90 v 2

However the wicked are Not immortal because according to Psalm 92 v 7 the wicked will be destroyed forever [ annihilated ].
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The wicked one is the carnal side of man. It is the Cain, Esau and the Saul of Tarsus in all of us, that killed and sold its birthright and became alienated from God in his mind, and in thinking himself separated from God turned into a religious zealot that sought God through is misconceptions of God.
Agree and agree. No one is immortal until God grants immortality.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:18 AM

1,030 posts, read 843,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
No.

All it is saying is that God is alive right now in this eon. Does that mean He no longer lives at the end of the current eon? Of course not, because God is also immortal.

Scripture also says God is immortal.
So you are saying the scripture do not say God is eternal?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:35 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,059,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I used to think that when unsaved people died, that they went to hell. But after careful study, that was not accurate since the word for the grave in the bible has been translated in many English translations as hell. The lake of fire is the final resting place for all unbelievers/unsaved after the great white throne judgement.
And I saw, and lo, a Lamb having stood upon the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty-four thousands,
having the name of his Father written upon their foreheads;
and I heard a voice out of the heaven, as a voice of many waters, and as a voice of great thunder,
and a voice I heard of harpists harping with their harps,
and they sing, as it were, a new song before the throne
And a third messenger did follow them, saying in a great voice,
`If any one the beast doth bow before, and his image, and doth receive a mark upon his forehead, or upon his hand,
he also shall...be tormented in fire and brimstone before the holy angels, and before the Lamb

and I saw as a sea of glass mingled with fire, and those who do gain the victory over the beast,
and his image, and his mark, [and] the number of his name, standing by the sea of the glass, having harps of God,
and they sing the song of Moses, servant of God, and the song of the Lamb (off-key), saying:
`Great and wonderful [are] Thy works, O Lord God, the Almighty, righteous and true [are] Thy ways, O King of saints
who may not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? because Thou alone [art] kind, because all the nations shall come and bow before Thee, because Thy righteous acts were manifested

Last edited by granpa; 05-23-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
So you are saying the scripture do not say God is eternal?
No... maybe I/we are getting confused here. Let me clarify here - scripture can and does say God is eternal, without using the specific words "eternal" or even "eon" etc.

For example, here is a way to say God is eternal without using the word 'eternal':
Psalm 102:27 But you remain the same,
and your years will never end.

He is immortal, so His years will never end, thus also making Him eternal since He always existed.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
No... maybe I/we are getting confused here. Let me clarify here - scripture can and does say God is eternal, without using the specific words "eternal" or even "eon" etc.

For example, here is a way to say God is eternal without using the word 'eternal':
Psalm 102:27 But you remain the same,
and your years will never end.

He is immortal, so His years will never end, thus also making Him eternal since He always existed.
Now what are your qualifications when it comes to biblical languages and what translations have you worked on?

Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Now what are your qualifications when it comes to biblical languages and what translations have you worked on?
None, other than dedicated study on my own for the past 6 years and an honest review of my beliefs of the previous 30 years. We live in an age when all the tools and information is available to study yourself if you are willing to look at things honestly.

For example, did you know bible translations like the Concordant literal or Young's literal exist?
Previous to 6 years ago, I did not.

Did you know there are errors in our bible translations?
Previous to 6 years ago, I did not. Or rather I didn't really think about it.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Yes I know the Concordant is wrong. They pretend that a word must always mean the same thing. Something we just went though.
Actually its hard to call the Concordant wrong because it is completely consistent in its translation, so you can see what the original greek word actually was. Aion is always translated as eon. I find it useful to know this when studying, so the meaning is not lost.

That's the problem with KJV and other bibles based off the KJV translations. The KJV is very inconsistent in how it translates aion and other words. And its not just a simple matter of literal/hyperbole.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
None, other than dedicated study on my own for the past 6 years and an honest review of my beliefs of the previous 30 years. We live in an age when all the tools and information is available to study yourself if you are willing to look at things honestly.

For example, did you know bible translations like the Concordant literal or Young's literal exist?
Previous to 6 years ago, I did not.

Did you know there are errors in our bible translations?
Previous to 6 years ago, I did not. Or rather I didn't really think about it.
So you have fallen for a "translation" made by one man that matches his theology over translations made by large groups of people from differing theological backgrounds working together. That should be your first red flag.

As for Mr. Knoch, he took the ultradispensationalism of Bullinger and later Welch of London and became even more extreme. Knoch invented 4 dispensations between Christ and Paul's prison ministry.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Actually its hard to call the Concordant wrong because it is completely consistent in its translation, so you can see what the original greek word actually was. Aion is always translated as eon. I find it useful to know this when studying, so the meaning is not lost.

That's the problem with KJV and other bibles based off the KJV translations. The KJV is very inconsistent in how it translates aion and other words. And its not just a simple matter of literal/hyperbole.
But to do so is in error for the word can and does have more than one meaning depending on context, etc. That is one thing that makes the Concordant a worthless work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity