Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 11:44 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times

Advertisements

There are translations that say the yoke of the son in Matthew 11:30 is easy which contradicts Jesus saying it is hard to enter by the narrow gate. He also said that if they persecuted him they will persecute his followers. So what I have seen in the blue letter concordance leads me to believe the word for easy should be either upright or good or even virtuous. It should read "for my yoke is upright and my burden is light or my yoke is good and my burden is light." I have a hunch the word light should be light as in the light of God or the word of God since that is what Jesus came to spread. Anyone agree? Thoughts?

Here is what the Blue Letter Bibles concordance says;

Transliteration
chrēstos

Part of Speech
adjective
Root Word (Etymology)
From χράομαι (G5530)

Outline of Biblical Usage
fit, fit for use, useful

virtuous, good
manageable
mild, pleasant (as opp. to harsh, hard sharp, bitter)

of things: more pleasant, of people, kind, benevolent

KJV Translation Count — Total: 7x
The KJV translates Strongs G5543 in the following manner: kind (2x), easy (1x), better (1x), goodness (1x), good (1x), gracious (1x).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:01 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:

There are translations that say the yoke of the son in Matthew 11:30 is easy
which contradicts Jesus saying it is hard to enter by the narrow gate.
I don't find that to be a contradiction.

Once you have found the narrow gate, the yoke is easy.

LOVE. It's all about love.

Fear, for instance, is NOT on the narrow path. Fear is something you will find easily and readily available on the WIDE path.

Once you have started to discover the POWER of Love (which is the power of GOD, for GOD IS LOVE) His yoke is easy. Meaning so many questions that have absolute hypocritical answers when you are on the wide path, start to make perfect and beautiful sense over on the narrow path (of LOVE.) The narrow path EXPANDS your heart. The wide path constricts your heart. It is FAR more difficult to operate with a CONSTRICTED heart than it is with a beautifully expanded heart...

An expanded heart brings life.
A constricted heart brings death.

just my thoughts..
sparrow

Old 05-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Fear, for instance, is NOT on the narrow path. Fear is something you will find easily and readily available on the WIDE path.

Once you have started to discover the POWER of Love (which is the power of GOD, for GOD IS LOVE) His yoke is easy. Meaning so many questions that have absolute hypocritical answers when you are on the wide path, start to make perfect and beautiful sense over on the narrow path (of LOVE.) The narrow path EXPANDS your heart. The wide path constricts your heart. It is FAR more difficult to operate with a CONSTRICTED heart than it is with a beautifully expanded heart...

just my thoughts..
sparrow
Maybe you do not remember the parable. It is hard to enter by the narrow gate. The road is hard that leads to life. One must remain on that road to receive life and enter the kingdom of God.

Matthew 7:12 "In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.
13 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it.
14 For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Maybe you do not remember the parable. It is hard to enter by the narrow gate. The road is hard that leads to life. One must remain on that road to receive life and enter the kingdom of God.

Matthew 7:12 "In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.
13 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it.
14 For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

What makes you think I do not remember it?
I remember it clearly:

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Non-love is destructive, Non-love is on the wide path. It IS destructive and it IS being destroyed.

The non-love within EACH and EVERYONE of us is on that wide path.
It is the LOVE within.... that is on the narrow path, friend.

We are ALL being reconciled.

There is MUCH to learn.
That is why the road is so wide. (and difficult.)

Again, it's the NARROW path that leads to life.
The narrow path of LOVE.
God is LOVE.
The path that follows God.

peace..

Old 05-24-2014, 01:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Do you suppose He is saying, "It's much easier to faithfully walk with God than to take the world's path of rebellion?" With God's way, we need only submit and obey. With the world's way, it is a constant struggle to pretend to be what one is not, ... or to remember what one told whom, ...and to live in uncertainty and hopelessness.

I've thought about this in the context of those who seem to persistently rebel against and discount scripture, yet, instead of truth, are left only the uncertainty of their own reasoned logic. While those who lean on God and depend on His Word, need only determine how God's truth best applies to their lives.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:33 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
Being in unity with the Lord being lead in the spirit is the easy way to go through life ......... Being in unity with the world will always find strife and contention and divisions and separations will be hard ............ But being in unity with the Lord can show the world that Christians are out of the ordinary and do not follow the ways of the world and the popular roads in life , as through Jesus is our hope ........ Where the world has no hope and leans to hopeless ideas so the world can reason to be acceptable to get along ......... What a yoke is like a team of horses yoked together to pull the wagon

Old 05-24-2014, 02:34 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,706 times
Quote:

just my thoughts..
sparrow
Moderator cut: delete
Mt 7:14 reads,...the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it." It does not say the path is hard, it says it is narrow, and few that find it.

Moderator cut: delete
Psalm 111:10
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-24-2014 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Dear sparrow,
Mt 7:14 reads,...the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it." It does not say the path is hard, it says it is narrow, and few that find it.
I never said the path that was narrow was hard. Read my post again.

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-24-2014 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: orphaned quote and response

Old 05-24-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
What makes you think I do not remember it?
I remember it clearly:

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Non-love is destructive, Non-love is on the wide path. It IS destructive and it IS being destroyed.

The non-love within EACH and EVERYONE of us is on that wide path.
It is the LOVE within.... that is on the narrow path, friend.

We are ALL being reconciled.

There is MUCH to learn.
That is why the road is so wide. (and difficult.)

Again, it's the NARROW path that leads to life.
The narrow path of LOVE.
God is LOVE.
The path that follows God.
peace..

Jesus said to abide in His love not the love of man.

To abide in His love is to keep the commandments just as He kept His Father's commandments and abide in His love. He said the Father commanded Him what say, so in turn, to keep the commandments as Jesus did we must say what He said. That is how to love others as you would have them love you because if you love the word of the Lord you will love it when it is presented to you as you present it to others. That is why He sent His followers as He was sent with the same words He used.

Jesus said;" Abide in my love. You will abide in my love if you keep my commandments just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love."

"The Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me."

Old 05-24-2014, 05:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Do you suppose He is saying, "It's much easier to faithfully walk with God than to take the world's path of rebellion?" With God's way, we need only submit and obey. With the world's way, it is a constant struggle to pretend to be what one is not, ... or to remember what one told whom, ...and to live in uncertainty and hopelessness.

I've thought about this in the context of those who seem to persistently rebel against and discount scripture, yet, instead of truth, are left only the uncertainty of their own reasoned logic. While those who lean on God and depend on His Word, need only determine how God's truth best applies to their lives.
You got it.

It is still a yoke with a load we must carry, but lighter than the yoke to sin and death we start with and then add to as we become a part of this world and its ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity