Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:04 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
True, but you might want to consider whether his definition is more applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I was going to consider it. Which is why I asked for the clarification. But after reading the rude reply I'm putting it in the "Meh - who needs the grief" category.
ACK!! I messed up the quote function. I meant to post that as a response to MO's comment that you quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:57 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I see no calculus students in this group.

Some things are black and white. It doesn't matter if you like it or not. It is what it is. facts are facts. I really don't care if you think I am insulting. I see you and others that way, but I don't report the posts like you and some others do. You see, I have been connected to the internet before most of you even knew it existed. I also have a degree, not a post degree, in computers and was using Pine as my email and Unix back when one had to know something about computers to actually use the internet, unlike now. It is great that there are so many people connected, but the thin skinned need to get over themselves and get a grip.
Besides a theologian you are also a computer science expert. I congratulate you!

It is not so much about having thin skin. We are talking about common basic social graces. I like a forum argument too, but you are generally acrimonious and unwilling to have a discussion.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Besides a theologian you are also a computer science expert. I congratulate you!

It is not so much about having thin skin. We are talking about common basic social graces. I like a forum argument too, but you are generally acrimonious and unwilling to have a discussion.
Why do you post that I said things when I didn't? I never said I was an expert. I know computers, but really, I don't keep up on all of the latest stuff out there, only what I need to know to keep me happy. I also never said I was an expert about the Bible. I can, though, read the Bible, along with the Catholic Bible and other religious writings.

BTW, you go ahead and keep up posting about how mean I am and that way you don't have to post how much you show how you are the elitist you are when it comes to your denomination. BTW, it is about thin skin and you just don't want to admit it. LOLOLOLOLOL Love it! You are the one who continually tells me, and others, how wrong we supposedly are when we make some posts about the Catholic denomination. You are the one who refuses to have a discussion with someone, unless of course, they agree with you.

Have a Blessed evening.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Why do you post that I said things when I didn't? I never said I was an expert. I know computers, but really, I don't keep up on all of the latest stuff out there, only what I need to know to keep me happy. I also never said I was an expert about the Bible. I can, though, read the Bible, along with the Catholic Bible and other religious writings.

BTW, you go ahead and keep up posting about how mean I am and that way you don't have to post how much you show how you are the elitist you are when it comes to your denomination. BTW, it is about thin skin and you just don't want to admit it. LOLOLOLOLOL Love it! You are the one who continually tells me, and others, how wrong we supposedly are when we make some posts about the Catholic denomination. You are the one who refuses to have a discussion with someone, unless of course, they agree with you.

Have a Blessed evening.
I am not saying you are wrong. I am simply defending Catholicism whenever you go on attack mode.

Last edited by Julian658; 05-29-2014 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I am notar saying you are wrong. I am simply defending Catholicism whenever you book on attack mode.
I don't attack, as that is just your perception. You perceive that only because I say some things that disagree with things you say.

You must understand that when I was raised Catholic, we, females, had to always cover our heads and there was no eating meat on Friday, which was always a stupid rule and definitely not Biblical at all. But, it was what it was. LOL Of course, my mother followed said rules and because of that, I did also. I did not allow myself to confirm into either denomination because even when I was young, I knew both of them were legalistic traps. I know Catholicism is different now, at least that is what they put forth for the public consumption.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I don't attack, as that is just your perception. You perceive that only because I say some things that disagree with things you say.

You must understand that when I was raised Catholic, we, females, had to always cover our heads and there was no eating meat on Friday, which was always a stupid rule and definitely not Biblical at all. But, it was what it was. LOL Of course, my mother followed said rules and because of that, I did also. I did not allow myself to confirm into either denomination because even when I was young, I knew both of them were legalistic traps. I know Catholicism is different now, at least that is what they put forth for the public consumption.
Fasting is biblical and practiced by early Christians.

Quote:
Matthew 6:16-18
King James Version (KJV)
16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

I quoted the KJB so you have no doubts

I sometimes see old ladies covering their heads. It is a shame that beautiful custom is gone.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:43 AM

I never said a thing about fasting not being Biblical. I said the denominations were legalistic.

You see, that is one of the reasons you constantly think someone is attacking you. You have trouble with reading comprehension.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 AM

376 posts, read 489,081 times
One of the criticisms that Orthodox and Roman Catholics have of the 'nondenominational' Christians is that their doctrine tends to meet the criteria of some flavor of fundamentalist Protestantism. In a way, it is much like a self-described political "Independent" unvaryingly reciting the talking points of one political party.

One central fundamentalist belief - that the Bible is self-interpreting through the Holy Ghost, has directly led to denominational fragmentation - there are 30k+ Protestant denominations and counting. Is that fragmentation a good thing? Certainly it has led to an 'each Pastor his own Pope' scenario in many churches. It has directly led to the apostasy of the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, and indeed from the 7th Day Adventists, that Strong City group. No, there has to be institutional authority, and especially so in our excessively individualistic age.

Last edited by Diws; 05-30-2014 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
I never said a thing about fasting not being Biblical. I said the denominations were legalistic.

Yeah, right.

This is what you said:

Quote:
and there was no eating meat on Friday, which was always a stupid rule and definitely not Biblical at all.

What else can I say!

Quote:
You see, that is one of the reasons you constantly think someone is attacking you. You have trouble with reading comprehension.
Another stinger. Are you able to write a post without being hostile?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Yeah, right.

This is what you said:

What else can I say!

Another stinger. Are you able to write a post without being hostile?
OK, apparently I did say that, but it isn't what I meant. I meant that it is not Biblical to make it a rule of a denomination, but not that it was not in the Bible. I have fasted and I do it to get closer to Jesus, but not because someone or a whole group tell me to do it. People telling others that they need to do it is not Biblical.

Are you able to post without constantly arguing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity