Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:58 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,530,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, thank you for that information. That was really very interesting. I'll have to look into that further. Do you, by any chance, have an explanation of why some Bibles (the KJV, for sure) separates the word "today" into "to day."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
From The KJV Dictionary:

To
28. To-day, to-night, to-morrow, are peculiar phrases derived from our ancestors. To in the two first, has the sense or force of this; this day, this night. In the last, it is equivalent to in or on; in or on the morrow. The words may be considered as compounds, to-day, to-night, to-morrow, and usually as adverbs. But sometimes they are used as nouns; as, to-day is ours.

To and from, backward and forward. In this phrase, to is adverbial.

To the face, in presence of; not in the absence of.

I withstood him face to face. Gal.2.

To-morrow, to-morrow, and to-morrow,

Creeps in this petty pace from day to day.

Note.--In the foregoing explanation of to, it is to be considered that the definition given is not always the sense of to by itself, but the sense rather of the word preceding it, or connected with it, or of to in connection with other words. In general, to is used in the sense of moving towards a place, or towards an object, or it expresses direction towards a place, end, object or purpose.

To is often used adverbially to modify the sense of verbs; as, to come to; to heave to. The sense of such phrases is explained under the verbs respectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It is well founded that it is the well tested ploy of Satan to alter the truth just enough to change the meaning of what God said:
“Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”
so it's not surprising when it's done again with God when Satan alters it
Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise.”
Long ago God said there will be enmity between the children of God and the children of the devil (Genesis 3:15) and what do you think the vehicle of means by which will be used ... the altering of God's Word to change it's meaning.
The change over time from the Olde English to-day and to-morrow to Modern English's today and tomorrow was a ploy of Satan?

The 1551 English Bible also referred to 'the day after tomorrow' as overmorrow. Also the work of Satan?

Is the formation of all English compound words the crafty ploy of Satan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:49 AM

910 posts, read 1,339,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june01 View Post
Jesus said this to the sinner on the cross next to him. Do you think he might have been talking about the time before he would die? Personally I think that the other thief probably experienced the same thing and would repent before he died.

Job said something similar: "I will see my redeemer in the land of the living". Or it may have been in the Psalms or both.

Christ promised a thief he will be with him in Paradise. Paradise is wherever Christ is. So an ascension the paradise would be "heaven". Since he has come back, the paradise is now the earth. That explains why you see lots of thieves in the planet. Christ was just too generous in his first advent. The second advent, would be different as he will have no dealing with sin.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Default "Today you will be with me in paradise."

This thread should have opened the eyes of all those who believe they can simply read the written Bible in the current English form and know what it was intended to convey. This was the reason the RCC forbid anyone from reading the Bible for the longest time. The Protestant reformation was just the beginning of the end for authoritarian clerics to rule the roost. This constant bickering and division over the words "written in ink" is precisely WHY we have the New Covenant. The truth is simple . . . "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't. Evaluate everything using agape love as sincerely found in your heart of hearts under the guidance of the Comforter. Everything else is human vanity and hubris to promote power and control using fear of God and eternal punishment.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:41 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This thread should have opened the eyes of all those who believe they can simply read the written Bible in the current English form and know what it was intended to convey. This was the reason the RCC forbid anyone from reading the Bible for the longest time. The Protestant reformation was just the beginning of the end for authoritarian clerics to rule the roost. This constant bickering and division over the words "written in ink" is precisely WHY we have the New Covenant. The truth is simple . . . "love God and each other" daily and repent when you don't. Evaluate everything using agape love as sincerely found in your heart of hearts under the guidance of the Comforter. Everything else is human vanity and hubris to promote power and control using fear of God and eternal punishment.

Actually it's simple enough if one takes the time to go back and discover just exactly what the conversation was about in the first place and what the thief asked in the beginning. Certainly not rocket science here.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:25 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
The change over time from the Olde English to-day and to-morrow to Modern English's today and tomorrow was a ploy of Satan?

The 1551 English Bible also referred to 'the day after tomorrow' as overmorrow. Also the work of Satan?

Is the formation of all English compound words the crafty ploy of Satan?
yes when other scriptures has eternal life as a present tense now ownership that one has prior to death.

And that is the bigger point the cults \ false religions \ false teachers do by moving the comma from
"I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise"
to
"I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise"
it's Satan's crafty ploy to slightly change the truth whenever \ wherever.

<---- hope you didn't hit yourself too hard

Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
yes when other scriptures has eternal life as a present tense now ownership that one has prior to death.

And that is the bigger point the cults \ false religions \ false teachers do by moving the comma from
"I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise"
to
"I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise"
it's Satan's crafty ploy to slightly change the truth whenever \ wherever.

<---- hope you didn't hit yourself too hard
Got it backwards,

Context and Grammar require "Truly I tell you today, you will..."

Satan's change was to "Truly I tell you, today you will. People like this because it is what they are taught.

One of the idlest Translations (probably the first language the NT was translated into from Greek), the Coptic, has "truly I tell you today, you will ...". Those alive them knew what it meant, that Jesus was telling him that day, that he would be (future) with him in paradise. Every use of this structure in the NT fits with a comma after Today, Later doctrine to draw people to the churches, changed it.

Those with God's spirit can see this as it fits WITH the words of Jesus, those without follow man's teaching.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Got it backwards,

Satan's change was to "Truly I tell you, today you will. People like this because it is what they are taught.

One of the idlest Translations (probably the first language the NT was translated into from Greek), the Coptic, has "truly I tell you today, you will ...". Those alive them knew what it meant, that Jesus was telling him that day, that he would be (future) with him in paradise. Every use of this structure in the NT fits with a comma after Today, Later doctrine to draw people to the churches, changed it.

Those with God's spirit can see this as it fits WITH the words of Jesus, those without follow man's teaching.
Jesus prefaced His response with the phrase, “I tell you the truth” (“Verily I say unto thee” in the KJV). Many scholars have noticed that Jesus uses this as a prefix phrase when He is about to say something that should be listened to with care. Seventy-six times in the New Testament, Jesus uses the phrase. Interestingly, no one but Jesus ever says it. When the Lord says “I tell you the truth,” He is affirming that what He is about to say is worthy of special attention. It was Jesus’ way of saying, “Listen up! What I’m about to say is very important and should be listened to carefully.” We’re too used to hearing the phrase to appreciate the astonishing authority it expresses and the often solemn nature of the announcement that follows. In every one of the 76 times Christ uses this introductory phrase, He simply says it and then makes a startling statement.

Read more: What did Jesus mean when He said, "Today you will be with me in paradise"?

Old 06-01-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Got it backwards,

and what I learned of the Coptic is:
The first translation into the Sahidic dialect was made at the end of the 2nd century in Upper Egypt, where Greek was less well understood. So the Sahidic is famous for being the first major literary development of the Coptic language
now think this through:
One of the idlest Translations (probably the first language the NT was translated into from Greek), the Coptic, ....... was produced " in Upper Egypt where Greek was less well understood."
in other words claims of Coptic being .... is probably more none sense propaganda floated out there by the clueless for those who really want it to be truthful.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:58 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
I have to say twospins you really are a funny guy for biblean.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have to say twospins you really are a funny guy for biblean.
truth with a little humor is needed every now and then ..... and I bet we could have a beer together and still be amigo's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity