Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 PM

30 posts, read 21,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Someone who where the love of the many (ALL) has not run cold. One who loves their enemies, who blesses them that curses them, one that does good to those that persecute them.
I love this! Hallelujah!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josaleah View Post
But what if God reveals what His purpose for election is in His Word? Would it then be for us not to know? Why he chooses some and not others is not the question.
Your "what" question is not coming off as "Why he chooses some and not others is not the question" like from the perspective of a mocker \ cynic (who posted that in so many words earlier), but as from the perspective as "why God, would you mind explaining yourself .. I really would like to know".

And as you have seen, there are some of us who are in a polite way saying that God doesn't reveal why he does what what he does.

To me post #38 doesn't answer the "why" ... but more of the end result of what you perceive what election is.

Last edited by twin.spin; 06-25-2014 at 06:20 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Your "what" question is not coming off as "Why he chooses some and not others is not the question" like from the perspective of a mocker \ cynic (who posted that in so many words earlier), but as from the perspective as "why God, would you mind explaining yourself .. I really would like to know".

And as you have seen, there are some of us who are in a polite way saying that God doesn't reveal why he does what what he does.
Nor does he have to even if we want to know.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That was kinda the point that was made very clear to Job ... Job 38-41

Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
I clearly see election in the Bible, but is the purpose of election?

From a purely human perspective, concepts of the 'elect', much like the 'pre-destined' are difficult, if not impossible to grasp. That is largely because we are 'time-bound beings' whose thinking is limited by linear time (which was created, for man's benefit' on the Fourth day of creation).

But, God is timeless and eternal; He doesn't wear a watch and did not create earth time, so that He would know what day or year it was. God is likewise, all-knowing; omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. He is both able to give mankind 'free will' and then (from the beginning of all things) state with authority that all whom He knows will ultimately come to Him in faith and trust ... are the 'elect' who have been pre-destined to enjoy His eternal kingdom in relationship with Him.

God’s ‘pre-cognition’ of who will ultimately choose HIM, does not, in any way, limit, control or restrict who can freely choose (because WE, not HIM, are living within the context of ‘time’. Who then benefits from this knowledge that, having been given knowledge and a choice, we freely chose to love, trust and obey God? We do/will, of course!

But, what is the purpose of all this 'free will, choice, election and pre-destination.' I believe God's purpose is a personal, love-based relationship. Quite simply, love demands a free-will choice ... or it isn't really love. Beyond that, God's love for us does not automatically ensure our love for God, which is part of the relationship He seeks.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Many are called, but few are selected to teach the rest of humanity; for few be it that overcome the false teachings of men.
Quote:
Interesting point.
...even more so, when you understand that we are not in need that men teach us?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Your "what" question is not coming off as "Why he chooses some and not others is not the question" like from the perspective of a mocker \ cynic (who posted that in so many words earlier), but as from the perspective as "why God, would you mind explaining yourself .. I really would like to know"
I understand, twin. Let me rephrase the question to hopefully make clear what I'm wanting to ask: For what purpose are the elect called? As such, what is their role now and in the ages to come?

I agree that there are things beyond our understanding and outside of God's revelation and we should be content to except those things, however there are many things that God does reveal, although they may require diligent asking, seeking, and knocking. Proverbs 25:2 says: It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter. Electing individuals and nations has been God's modus operandi since the beginning for accomplishing His plans and purposes. In other words there is always a purpose for which God elects a people. I believe God does reveal His purposes for calling out a people, a royal priesthood for Himself. I put forth the question to spark a conversation on the topic, to bounce ideas off each other, and to sharpen one another.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I agree with you. If God does not want to reveal something than so be it. However, the purpose God has in electing a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a covenant people, the bride of Christ, the sons of God, etc., has been revealed to us in His Word. I am merely wanting to discuss with others what those purposes are as they are revealed in His Word.
God bless!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
I agree with you. If God does not want to reveal something than so be it. However, the purpose God has in electing a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a covenant people, the bride of Christ, the sons of God, etc., has been revealed to us in His Word. I am merely wanting to discuss with others what those purposes are as they are revealed in His Word.
God bless!
Hi,

Kings and priests is listed. They rule, guide and help those on earth that they might become free from the corruption that stems from Eden and have a relationship with God. No sitting on clouds playing harps or just gazing for eternity at god. Nope they have work to do.

As many need that as they are not "perfect" initially.

ASV Revelation 22:2 in the midst of the street thereof. And on this side of the river and on that was the tree of life, bearing twelve manner of fruits, yielding its fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
I clearly see election in the Bible, but is the purpose of election?
The Elect are the house of Israel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity