Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you lay down your life for Christ if you had to?
Yes. 9 60.00%
No way. 6 40.00%
I'm on the fence 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Kinda like your "Evolution as religion" thread had no merit whatsoever?
No, just the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 01:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
Revelation 20:4

"I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the
testimony of Jesus(Yeshua), and for the word of GOD"

Oh, you shouldn't have posted that verse. Many think that Jesus IS the word of God, not the Scriptures.

They fail to see the difference, shall we say, between The Word of God (Jesus) and the word of God (the Bible). Two that work together and never apart. as Rev above shows.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Oh, you shouldn't have posted that verse. Many think that Jesus IS the word of God, not the Scriptures.

They fail to see the difference, shall we say, between The Word of God (Jesus) and the word of God (the Bible). Two that work together and never apart. as Rev above shows.
Ummmm, the failure seems to be to understand that the testimony of Jesus is not Jesus and even that testimony is not the full Word, because that Word continues and the testimony (at least as recorded) is over.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:09 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Ummmm, the failure seems to be to understand that the testimony of Jesus is not Jesus and even that testimony is not the full Word, because that Word continues and the testimony (at least as recorded) is over.
But the jury is confused, as it passes judgment prematurely?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Dying for Jesus is a very Catholic Tradition. IN the very early days it was considered the top honor to die for Christ. Saint Ignatius of Antioch a disciple of John longed to be martyred.

Many early Christians of that era venerated the martyrs and felt they had a special place with Jesus.

Early Christians venerated martyrs as powerful intercessors, and their utterances were treasured as inspired specially by the Holy Spirit. WIKI

Theology

The lives of the martyrs became a source of inspiration for some Christians, and their lives and relics were revered. The 2nd-century Church Father Tertullian wrote that "the blood of martyrs is the seed of the Church," implying that the martyrs' willing sacrifice of their lives leads to the conversion of others.[5] Relics of the saints are still revered in the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. WIKI

I am surprised to see modern day Sola Scriptura folks that are into this very Catholic tradition.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:49 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
Correction, I'm a Whole Bibleist...

I take it You must've been a discussion like this before where you got crushed and now you feel it's your duty to point out people that have a clear understanding of the Book of Revelation?

*Well If it helps you sleep at night.
Yes, I did get crushed, but that was the day I took a walk past a condo complex at the same time a disgruntled Christian way up on the 12th floor pitched $10,000 worth of prophecy books out his window after a failed rapture prediction. Ever try to dig your way out from under a 2000/lb. mountain of Left Behind hardcovers? No small feat. But I sleep like a baby (after the broken bones have healed) because I know antichrist isn't going to burst into my bedroom at 3 AM looking for a 666 tattooed on my butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Lol. Usually Thrillobyte pulverizes the opposition (for want of a better word) and the response he gets are posts saying rude, sarcastic things. It happens over and over on this board.

So you're right on track!!

Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The bible will say that Jesus asked`` If you would die for me , and Peter said He would`` .....But in the will of God it would be senseless and legalistic to say that you would die for Christ ................See there are missionaries which have a dry faith , that they would go to hostile land with the faith for the martyrs crown .....................but it would be safer if they had a faith in the worship of fortitude and God will open the door for victory and anointed the trip into hostile land................and Jesus will bring these missionaries home safe and sound , or the Christian soldier home unharmed after the war where expectation in faith is established in Christ .................See God prefers to bring life , as He is the God of created life and love
What is a "Christian soldier??" I thought Paul wrote that we "war not against the flesh.."

Peace!
brian

Old 07-12-2014, 05:03 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
I don't think anyone knows what they would be willing to do in the future. Remember Peter's boasting that he would NOT deny Christ? What is the difference in that and the situation you are trying to make people envision? If we have to be perfect to be saved then why would we need salvation?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Perhaps the problem with this question, is that different people seem to have different understandings of who Yeshua is/was, what he stood for, what he requires of us.

So perhaps a more specific, tangible question might be: Would you die for Truth? If you knew something to be true, and you were threatened to recant the truth on pain of death, would you do it?

For example, Jesus teaches us to "turn the other cheek." Would you do this, even to the point of death? (hint: this is exactly what Jesus did himself when he was arrested and tried.)

Peace.
brian

Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
To once again prove the old adage, "there is nothing new under the sun",
this question was answered by the Church during the years of the
Donatist controversy. Succinctly, that those who were weak, or failed
to be martyred, or allowed sacred items to be taken by the Empire
under the persecution of Diocletian were still members of the Church.
This was one of the major events in Christian history.
Of the Twelve, only the Apostle John was at the Crucifixion, for
the fear of being murdered even overtook Simon Peter, as we all know.

Donatism - 01 | St Augustine of Hippo | Order of St Augustine
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Donatists
http://www.theopedia.com/Donatism
Early Christian History / Controversies: Donatism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity