Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 AM

550 posts, read 516,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Plus_Nothing View Post
Jesus never did anything in "the CHURCH". The tables He turned over were in the Temple.
hahaha....Temples back then were used for houses of worship.

burn your Bible, you obviously don't read it or need it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 AM

250 posts, read 218,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
hahaha....Temples back then were used for houses of worship.

burn your Bible, you obviously don't read it or need it anymore.
But you said He did it in the Church. Do you not know what the Church is?

I don't burn God's word but live by every one of them. You seem to not know what it say's so let me help you.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Are you acquainted with the member here called Tony Tony Tony? I think you and he would be in agreement on most points.
How can you tell what Tony Tony Tony would agree on? He has never made a coherent comment that I have found yet.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
We'll know who WON'T BE in Heaven, that's for sure...
No, actually, you don't. This might come as a giant shock to you, but YOU'RE NOT GOD. And neither is that book you're clutching.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, actually, you don't. This might come as a giant shock to you, but YOU'RE NOT GOD. And neither is that book you're clutching.
He said he was Jesus!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Plus_Nothing View Post
He said he was Jesus!
Forgive me if I have my doubts about that.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
We'll know who WON'T BE in Heaven, that's for sure...

Knowing how awful hell is, I dont think that is something to joke about or be goofy about it, i mean really. Its a pretty bad place.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Knowing how awful hell is, I dont think that is something to joke about or be goofy about it, i mean really. Its a pretty bad place.
It compares to a sleep without dreams.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It compares to a sleep without dreams.
Hi - no offense meant but is that an atheistic point of view? just curious at your thought there

Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 AM

214 posts, read 230,763 times
Quote:
Well, it's well known that Holidays such as Christmas , Easter, Halloween, New Year's etc...
are all Pagan Holidays and no where near Biblical. but Christians worldwide see no problem at all celebrating these obviously Pagan Holidays. Most of them celebrating INSIDE their own churches.
Now how wicked is that?

So in reality, 99% of "Christians" are really Pagans and don't even know it.

Well, you are obviously parsing words and trying to bait us and even maybe incur the wrath of some of our more devout Christians, but since I'm only a half-assed Christian at best, I say it's cool and even might make an interesting discussion.
Ya gotta remember (or did you ever even know in the first place?) that the very word "pagan" derives from the old Latin word "paganus" which simply referred to someone living "in a small rural village, or of the country." These people then worshipped the older, nature-based gods, as did the Romans, Greeks and Druids. (and our own Native Americans too).
They did NOT worship the Jews' God Yahweh, nor recognize Him to be the only God, instead of their pantheon of nature gods. They were polytheists rather than monotheists.
So....to say that 99% of Christians who believe in one God are pagans-at-heart is just plain wrong. Especially since long ago Christians sorta hijacked the name "pagan" to mean anyone who does not believe like they do. So a Christian cannot really be a pagan, can they? I't's like saying an atheist who celebrates Christmas for his kids' sake is really a Christian.
But yes! Many of the Christian holidays were borne from "pagan" festivals. The December 25 b-day for JC is totally wrong, as he was most likely borne in the late-spring, maybe the last week or so of May. The Dec. 25 date was used so as to collide with the pagan Saturnalia Festival.
And Easter is in no way Pagan, as it celebrates Christ's rising from the Dead. The bunny and egg parts of Easter are indeed drerived from pagan myths, but the meaning of Easter is 100% Christian.
All religions borrow from ones that preceded it. But the Christians quickly molded the meanings and significance of some of the pagan holidays to fit their own agendas and beliefs, So in that way they were actually trying to demolish the pagan belief system, not adhere to it.
Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 07-18-2014 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity