Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,536,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
I'm not one to generalize, but last week I encountered 2 people who give your religion a bad name.
I am not feminine. I wear comfortable clothes because I have the right to. I got off the bus ehrn a couple stopped me. Thry. The man said that he used to "cross dress too but the lord changed my heart". All while the woman in a floor length skirt is standing there silently. I of course laughed and went on my merry way.
My question is, why don't certain christians respect people's basic rights? I think it's great that you believe in what you believe , but there is no proof either way, so why not just let others have theirs too?
I'm not going to argue with you about religion, and I'm not going o discuss my personal beliefs in detail. Hence personal.I accept you, so what's wrong with me being me?
You can't expect the whole world to agree with you,and because people don't , it doesn't make them evil. 900 years ago christians got murdered for their beliefs and now I am ostrasized for mine.
You always say how it's your duty to save people. Well doesn't thie count as judging? Ironically this is the first "sin" people forget...and I'm going to burn for wearing a graphic t shirt and shorts.
Do you understand that THESE things have the opposite effect, and that if you're going to live in a free country, people have rights?
Again I don't mean all christians. Certain ones. I'm sure there are plenty of bad atheists too. I don't deny that.
Direct, intelligent answers only please.
That man was out of line. I am a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and I will state for the record that I do not believe that there is anything wrong with a woman wearing a t shirt and shorts. I rather like the look. And I wouldn't say that a woman is not feminine because she wears them.

moderator cut: image removed

pictures of women wearing t shirts and shorts - Bing Images

But yes, Christianity is true. Here are a couple of things you might look at if you wish. But I understand that you're not here to argue about 'religion.'

Is Christianity the One True Religion? | Only True Religion is Christianity | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

https://bible.org/article/how-i-know-christianity-true

Last edited by Marka; 08-14-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,404,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That man was out of line. I am a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and I will state for the record that I do not believe that there is anything wrong with a woman wearing a t shirt and shorts. I rather like the look. And I wouldn't say that a woman is not feminine because she wears them.

pictures of women wearing t shirts and shorts - Bing Images
It doesn't take a theological degree, merely an observation.
And it has nothing to do with being a Christian
LOL

Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 PM

105 posts, read 111,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So Christians don't sin?

Or are there some Christians "without Christ" - and they sin?

Or does every non-Christian sin but Christians just commit little booboos?
My thoughts exactly. Unless someone is harminh another person, my "sins" don't affect the community. If they do, peopllr need to grow thicker skin.

And what is your definition of "mean"? Not doing what you want? Disagreeing with you? Having an opinion?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:55 PM

88,690 posts, read 85,035,510 times
As with all groups, the only way to live is to deal with people as individuals. No one here can tell you why another person acted the way they did, whether the offensive person was black or Christian or Russian or from New Jersey. There is no "they".

It sure would have been funny, though, if you'd responded with "Didn't Jesus wear a long dress?"

Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 PM

229 posts, read 338,362 times
Hi Megan2514
When I first read your title and then read your post it seems like you have two different issues. Addressing the main issue within your post, the guy being rude and invasive. To be honest no one here can say why the man, more so it seems than the woman, approached you that way, especially since we're not sure if the person who approached you was even dealing with a full deck or not. . I agree on your point that people, regardless if religious or not, need to learn tact, courtesy and kind of "read the room" to see if it's the most appropriate time to talk about certain topics. That's the world we live in unfortunately as you and I know so many others religious or not will continue to make inappropriate, rude or curt comments. Fortunately, there are many more like myself who do try to show respect regardless of our personal opinions or preference.

However, as you kind of hinted around in your post atheist, as well as others, also can be disrespectful to individuals, blunt, and pick the wrong setting to debate those who believe in God. I personally been in public or places of employment talking with someone about a biblical question they had when a atheist or agnostic rudely chimes in something to the effect of how can I believe in fairy tales. Of course it makes both in our conversation uncomfortable and I have to break the moment by a joke and then restore my conversation. Sometimes they still stand there and want to debate when the conversation was just a A to B conversation and one time even accuse me of being in a hypocritical religion. The ironic thing is if the person would have just respectfully talked to me after they would have found out that myself after reading several posts, websites, blogs, etc can see why more and more people become atheists and agnostic in this day and time.

So many who call themselves Christians either live contrary to what they teach, lack the love that we're suppose to show, extremely hurtful in their speech, are only associated by title only, or lack true understanding of the bible. I hope you never let the ones who stumble you make you callous to all who do have belief in God and the bible since as we grow so do our own mindset and way we think of things. Why do I say that? While I was finally getting serious about the bible I had a friend who did not believe in God and was VERY adamant I was NOT to talk to them about God at all! I respectfully obliged and we still remained friends. However after they saw my change in attitude and other life changes they told me well before I needed to change they became curious. I never pushed anything on them but in small bits let them know why and share things from time to time during long drives or other times. Time went on and after 5 years they started agreeing with certain things I believed in. 2 more years they actually defended me to someone who was atheist. Now close to 10 years later they actually not only believe there is a God but also ask deep questions. That's not saying you will just sharing my past experience.

It's not just the bible but society as well shows respect for others is always appreciated. No matter the intent that persons conduct towards you was not appropriate no matter the intent. I understand... I don't expect the world to agree with me since even some Christians don't agree with some of my thoughts of the bible so why should I think some agnostic or atheist wouldn't as well? However I do from time to time share when asked, which this forum is an excellent way to discuss with ones such as yourself. While we can have differences of beliefs and opinions doesn't mean I still cannot show you respect and courtesy the same as we believe Jesus showed others who did not as well. I 100% agree with you, it's not my job or anyone else to judge you but in my belief Gods. It's not even mine of anyone who calls themselves a Christian to say they are trying to "save you" since it's God who calls or helps ones, we just are humble individuals who teach where and when we can and understand if not us he make the rocks talk. I hope you never run across that guy again and if you do I hope you remember this response and you just either ignore him and not take it personal or just say have a nice day and REALLY twist his brain. Take care.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,663,461 times
Quote:
The question was about religious judging. ex. judging on clothing
Oh you must have encountered one of those BBFC.

Spoiler
Busy Bodies For Christ

Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,663,461 times
Quote:
The question was about religious judging. ex. judging on clothing
Oh you must have encountered a member of the BBFC.

Spoiler
Busy Bodies For Christ

Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,940,401 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Unless someone is harminh another person, my "sins" don't affect the community. If they do, peopllr need to grow thicker skin.

And what is your definition of "mean"? Not doing what you want? Disagreeing with you? Having an opinion?
I found some members here object if you point out issue with what the bible says versus what they would like to believe it means.

Their normal response is that those pointing out the issue "didn't read it in context". You know, like the father who offered up his daughters to be raped. It is a strange book of morals, I tell you.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 AM

105 posts, read 111,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I found some members here object if you point out issue with what the bible says versus what they would like to believe it means.

Their normal response is that those pointing out the issue "didn't read it in context". You know, like the father who offered up his daughters to be raped. It is a strange book of morals, I tell you.
A lot of atheists actually care about people and animals solely because they ARE good people, not with some exterior motive. Madalyn Murray O'hair was the most hated woman in america simply because she removed prayer from public schools. It's not like she outlawed it from the country people!

But the fact is, there are children who have different beliefs and they are entitled to it. If you want your child pray at school so bad, send him/her to private school. Public school is accepting and sensitive to everyone. Besides it isn't the school's job to raise kids.

When she was murdered almost nobody batted an eye. Madalyn was the "devil" yet she never harmed a single thing. We have mothers out there who drown their children because "jesus told me to", but it's worse that you're not required to bring up your child with a certain faith.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,221,643 times
Quote:
A lot of atheists actually care about people and animals solely because they ARE good people, not with some exterior motive. Madalyn Murray O'hair was the most hated woman in america simply because she removed prayer from public schools. It's not like she outlawed it from the country people!
How do you define "good person"?
Quote:
But the fact is, there are children who have different beliefs and they are entitled to it. If you want your child pray at school so bad, send him/her to private school. Public school is accepting and sensitive to everyone. Besides it isn't the school's job to raise kids.
If every kid in a community is from a family of a particular religion, why would you think they should change in order to suit someone not even living in their community?
Quote:
When she was murdered almost nobody batted an eye. Madalyn was the "devil" yet she never harmed a single thing.
Except for the fact that she caused the religious freedoms of a lot of people to be trampled on. The point can be made, as well, that there are social ills that have resulted from a lack of respect for religion that our kids have.
Quote:

We have mothers out there who drown their children because "jesus told me to", but it's worse that you're not required to bring up your child with a certain faith.
Do you mean to suggest that it's something Christians should do? Or that with prayer in school that more kids would be drowned by nut-jobs that think they hear God's voice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity