Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 04:53 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think it is none of my business and besides I am certainly in no position to cast stones or hand out any unwanted, unasked for advice
Thats the same for me too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 05:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Soooooo.... Over 60 posts with Christians lining up to denounce how other people choose to live.

Apparently y'all have solved that whole world hunger-poverty problem. I obviously missed the fact that kids are no longer being abused and neglected. All the grandmas with Alzheimer's are being taken care of? No more alcoholic husbands beating their wives and drinking up the rent check? Nicely done! Now you have time to get out your Bibles and lecture everyone who is having sex outside of marriage. Jesus will be pleased.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Soooooo.... Over 60 posts with Christians lining up to denounce how other people choose to live.

Apparently y'all have solved that whole world hunger-poverty problem. I obviously missed the fact that kids are no longer being abused and neglected. All the grandmas with Alzheimer's are being taken care of? No more alcoholic husbands beating their wives and drinking up the rent check? Nicely done! Now you have time to get out your Bibles and lecture everyone who is having sex outside of marriage. Jesus will be pleased.
Somebody asked the question. They got an answer. What's that got to do with world hunger, child abuse, spousal abuse, Alzheimer's, alcoholics, etc???

Somebody could also ask the question, "Gee is it wrong for a Christian to shoot somebody else in the head if that person is really annoying them?" The answer is yes. Yes it is wrong. By answering in the affirmative, I am not condoning date-rape or human trafficking in the process.

So yeah, you've kinda got me lost there. Like I said, somebody asked a question. The question was answered. Why are you reading anything else into it?

Old 09-26-2014, 10:59 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
You could ask them to look at the web site http://www.chastity.com/ It talks about what sex is and isn't and how it affects us.

http://www.chastity.com/article/coha...-live-together

http://www.chastity.com/marriage-and-divorce

Old 09-27-2014, 06:54 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Meanwhile their responses are "God's Word is CLEAR and you cannot change it no matter how much you want to justify living in sin!"

All I am asking for is a Bible verse. A verse. One. Singular.
To him whoe BELIEVES it to be sin, to him it is sin...

Old 09-27-2014, 10:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Well, it's definitely explicitly against God's commandments. As I belong to a Church that holds it's members to a high standard, hearing about a "devoted Christian" and his live-in girlfriend always strikes me as a massive contradiction. Any such Christian would have to either break up and move out or get married if they wanted to join with us.

"Living in sin" does not nullify an individual's Christianity nor does it invalidate their belief. What it does do is demonstrate that they are more devoted to the world and its standards than God and his standards. Living together unmarried and having children, etc: That is okay by the world's standards. That is not okay by God's standards.

There's a lot more to it as well. While it is not always the case, unmarried cohabitating couples of any religion (or no religion) are generally not fully committed to the relationship. A dear friend of my wife's has a live-in boyfriend and has had three children with him. At one point, she caught on that he was secretly texting back and forth an ex-girlfriend. She got mad about it, which made sense to me. He decided she was trying to tell him how he had to live his life. So he was all set to back up and leave her that very night until she talked him out of it. He continues to put off marrying her largely because he doesn't seem to want to give up his freedom to walk away at a moment's notice. As long as he continues to support the three children (which he was already doing anyways) he loses nothing. If he married her, he would stand to lose more in the leaving. So his girlfriend and three children live in constant anxiety, knowing that their whole world could be ripped apart at a moment's notice. It's already happened many times over and it's a terrible thing to see.

In that case, it's just pure selfishness IMHO. To anyone doing the whole living together thing who claims that they are just as devoted as any married couple, I would ask one simple question: So why don't you just get married then??
Hey, can you show me a bible verse detailing how this is a sin? You said God's Word is clear on this. Where?

Old 09-28-2014, 09:36 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Hey, can you show me a bible verse detailing how this is a sin? You said God's Word is clear on this. Where?
A very short list can be found here: What Does the Bible Say About Chastity?

The exhaustive list would be gigantic.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
A very short list can be found here: What Does the Bible Say About Chastity?

The exhaustive list would be gigantic.
None of those verses said anything about co-habitation.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So you are trying to live now like they did in ancient times?

There are many marriages in the bible and sex was saved for marriage. I don't know what they did in the line of certificates but the couple made vows in front of the whole community so they could like together as husband and wife.
If you go back far enough, there was no government marriage where certificates were issued.

As far as I'm concerned, if two people make a commitment to be together, then they're married. The certificate is nothing but a legal document that affects your taxes, inheritance and other rights.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So you are trying to live now like they did in ancient times?

There are many marriages in the bible and sex was saved for marriage. I don't know what they did in the line of certificates but the couple made vows in front of the whole community so they could like together as husband and wife.
I though G-d never changes, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity