Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times

Advertisements

Living in Alaska, every fall I hear of dozens and dozens of "trophy" hunters coming up here to bag the biggest moose, the biggest bear, the biggest sheep, etc, etc. I'm not talking about the average John Q Citizen who harvests an animal to feed his family, but the guy who doesn't need the meat for anything....he just wants something to "brag" about back home....a trophy to hang in the den for his buddies to see. (Of course, if it is a bear it must be mounted by a taxidermist, standing upright, fangs wide open and claws outstretched...ready to tear you apart...even if it was taken while drinking quietly from a puddle...). I'm not anti-hunting....do it myself on occasion...but not for a "trophy". This thing kind of irks me.
What do ya'll think?

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Default No.

I'm not a hunter, nor is my husband, but I personally would not regard this as "sinful." My .02.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-22-2007 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: correct typo!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
I didn't know the average John Q Citizen hunted to feed his family. I always assumed the average John Q Citizen hunted because it was something they enjoyed doing. As such, I have no problem with it.

No different than chartering a boat to go fishing..

Old 10-22-2007, 01:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Absolutely, yes.
Trophy-hunting is a sin.
I am anti-hunting, but I can see how Christians view it to be in line with the Bible. Trophy-hunting, however, shows nothing but disrespect to animals.
Unfortunately, the Christians who do trophy-hunt probably believe that it is a show of humans' dominion over the world, and therefore a fine thing to do.
But they are wrong, and should be set straight. It is a sin.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
It is a sin against common sense.
How else do you think the already protected endangered species become extinct?
Through trophy hunting, so some rich big shot can brag about how he shot the last living White Rhino.
And if we are not careful we could trophy hunt ourselves into extinction, because man in general believes that God will always provide us with enough food since we do not know any better.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
IMHO..hunting is not a sin..what does IMHO is someone that hunts or fishes and kills the animal and does not eat the meat...wanna hunt deer..thats great..duck..yeap..but if you and your family arent going to eat it..or give it to a family that needs it..dont pull the trigger..

*I come from a long line of hunters..but not once has anyone in my family killed anything that they werent going to eat..I personally dont hunt..Id rather take a picture vs shoot anything..and for those that do kill just for the thrill.. Hunting does help control the deer herd here in Ar..thats a proven fact..

Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times
I feel that trophy hunting is a sin,we have dominion over certain animals for the purpose of food,it should not be for sport so man can boast.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
If trophy hunting is the best use of the trophy hunter's time, energy and money, maybe it's better that he's out in the woods instead of bothering with the common folk.

Hunting or fishing for food is something else entirely.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:07 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
I'd say 95% of deer hunters are sinners then.

So i think there needs to be some clarification.. If you shoot just for the mounted head.. yeah I have a problem with that. If you shoot, mount the head, and eat the meat.. I've got no problem with it.

That said.. I've shot and killed numerous deer.. I enjoyed hunting with my father when I was younger and remember every single "trophy" rack I collected and enjoyed every deer burger I ate.

and to make sure this post doesn't quickly get moved somewhere else.. I said a prayer before we ate the deer burgers..

Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'd say 95% of deer hunters are sinners then.
Easily.

Quote:
So i think there needs to be some clarification.. If you shoot just for the mounted head.. yeah I have a problem with that. If you shoot, mount the head, and eat the meat.. I've got no problem with it.
Well, I have a problem with all hunting, but you're right - this distinction should be made. If you kill something, eat it (or donate it or whatever), and then put the head on your wall, this is far less atrocious then plain-old trophy-hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity