Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 04:17 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Satan manipulates things and tricks people to try to turn people away from God. Thus, I believe that Satan aged the things that the scientists have studied. Also, scientists are just people, they're not God.
I think I read about that in II Hezekiah Ch 4.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:21 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Satan manipulates things and tricks people to try to turn people away from God. Thus, I believe that Satan aged the things that the scientists have studied. Also, scientists are just people, they're not God.
Do you have any idea what the scientific method is? Serious question.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:56 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I am going out on a limb here. But I am betting I will not get the answer. Or the answer will be something like, "all the sediment." But if he wants to go in that direction then I will show him the "devil is in the details."
That's what I'm guessing, too. I'm assuming the direction he wants to take it is that since there are sedimentary deposits of some kind or other everywhere on Earth, they must all be from the flood. But you're right, that one won't fly at all.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
I hope you live with responsible people who care about you.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Satan manipulates things and tricks people to try to turn people away from God. Thus, I believe that Satan aged the things that the scientists have studied.
Explanations like that always make me wonder why god would put up with that sort of nonsense. Why does he let satan get away with that kind of behavior? If he's all-powerful, why doesn't he just snap his fingers and "poof" satan out of existence? Why let satan keep meddling with his universe and causing so much trouble?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:59 AM

518 posts, read 469,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Contestants?

What does this have to do with my original question - where is the worldwide layer of sediment that shows the entire planet was all covered with water at the same time?
It is the sediment we find worldwide. Simple.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
So, all the sediment we find - everywhere in the world - is left over from the biblical flood.

I was hoping for better, but I guess that was about what I expected. I'll just leave it there. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2014, 12:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
So, all the sediment we find - everywhere in the world - is left over from the biblical flood.

I was hoping for better, but I guess that was about what I expected. I'll just leave it there. Thanks!
Guess that leaves out the Canadian Sheild then that was somehow protected from that sedimentary rock being there. Care to explain that?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
That was the answer I expected. This reveals a complete lack of knowledge of the sediments that are actually present, of which many of those layers of sediments could only have been the result of Aeolian activity for instance, in arid climates for extended periods of time, even on geologic timescales, much less deposited during a brief flood on any scale. How do we have strata that can only be produced it times of dryness formed during a flood? Floods can't produce whole-scale deserts, evaporites, or features such as desiccation cracks on surfaces in the middle of these so-called flood deposits. That's just a few features indicative of arid climates. Then there are the marine deposits that produce formations that can only be produced in very low energy environments and over very long periods of time, pinnacle reefs come to mind. Knowing how these features form, they would not even be able to start forming during a global flood. They shouldn't even exist. Yet I have found many of them as deep as 8000' below the ground surface. These can not be formed rapidly - in a matter of days as prescribed by high energy flood. Yet we are told these all must have been formed during the Flood. How can meandering streams form during a global flood? Yet that is what we have buried in the sediment supposedly deposited during the flood. So we are told that they are formed all the while this global event is going on all around. It takes a long time for meanders to form. Rivers have to go through long stages to get to having meanders, especially a long stable one. How can they form when hundreds of feet are being deposited every 24 hours during the flood? Yet, we still find them.

Obviously these were not formed during a flood. So we are left with having to determine which layer the flood left. What do we look for? Since this was a recent global event lasting just a few months before the waters receded, we would need to find a continuous layer that has the fingerprints of a Flood.

We would expect to observe a uniform, contiguous, and correlatable, worldwide blanket of randomly sorted boulders, cobbles, sand, and silt overlain by a layer of clay. This blanket would overlie any pre-existing geologic record. Since the Flood allegedly took place within a mere 5,000 years ago, this evidence should still remain with very little erosion. That’s the formation you need to present. Yet this worldwide blanket has never been observed.

There are several other characteristics we would expect to see if a global flood supposedly deposited all the sediments that we do observe. We would expect to see no sorting in regard to sediment type and size. The maelstrom of a flood would only permit "dumping" of transported sediment in accord with Stokes Law. Furthermore, HOW could floodwaters have deposited layers of HEAVIER sediments on top of layers of LIGHTER sediments? In other words, if there had been an ultramassive Flood, we would not expect to see limestone strata overlaid by granite. No creationist has ever explained how the Flood could have deposited layers of heavy sediment on top of layers of lighter sediment.

There would be no segregation of fossils. If all organisms lived at the same time, we would expect to see trilobites, brachiopods, ammonites, dinosaurs, and mammals (including humans) all randomly mixed together in the worldwide. This is not what is observed. The fossil record exhibits an order consistent with the theory of evolution (but inconsistent with creationism), from simple forms to more complex forms, and from creatures very unlike modern species to those more closely resembling modern species. There is not one instance of any fossils that have been deposited "out of order."

In addition, there would be no extinction events found in the fossil record. There are at least five major extinction events, a situation where fossils are abundant below a certain line within the geological layers, but totally absent above that line. The most notable extinction event is the one that killed off the dinosaurs (and 90% of all other life) 65 million years ago. There is no way to explain these geological features with a global flood.

How about igneous (volcanic) rocks? If they existed at all in flood sediments, would all be in the form of pillow lava, which are extruded underwater. There could be no segregation of igneous rock types. Basalt would be the only igneous rock type because all activity would have been extrusive. There would be a complete absence of volcanic layers within the strata. In reality, there are very clearly defined volcanic layers, from which radiometric dates are obtained. How can we observe layers of volcanic rock within the strata if there was a Flood at the time? The lava would have mushroomed up into what is known as "pillow lava", like we see on the ocean floor today. So how can we have flat layers of volcanic rock, compressed between other layers, occurring during an "ultramassive flood"?

I haven’t even gotten into metamorphics. There are insurmountable obstacles in trying to make Flood Geology work. The problem with Flood Geology, is that it makes very clear falsifiable claims, resulting in it being its own worst enemy. And then you can't use it for anything. I mean, what's it good for? You certainly can't use it to predict the occurrence of hydrocarbons since Flood Geology is indiscriminate, with everything being a flood deposit - EVERYTHING.

One of my favorites is the claim that tries to explain the well-sorting of the fossils. Morris of ICR claimed that the reason you see the larger fossils like dinosaurs and all the mammals in the upper layers Is because they were more mobile and escaped the lower areas by trying to outrun the rising torrential floodwaters to higher ground before getting buried, leaving all the smaller slower moving invertebrates that we find in the lower strata. But he fails to explain how angiosperms out-ran those rising floodwaters as well. His explanations have thoroughly been falsified a long time ago, right after he made them.

Now knowing all that, you’re going to need to point me in the direction of that one layer that I described as a uniform, contiguous and correlatable, worldwide blanket of randomly sorted boulders, cobbles, sand, and silt overlain by a layer of clay. This blanket would overlie any pre-existing geologic record.

Last edited by PanTerra; 11-24-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Well. I expect that will settle that. Or should, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity