Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 03:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Dern, Dew. I can't pin a rose on yer nose for that one. Even amateur students of language and literature can see how screwy the idea of one meaning for each word is. What is a heart, for instance?
A much-needed muscle found in the chest cavity. Something carved into trees by sweethearts. A band featuring the Wilson sisters. The focus of Matthew 5:8. The clue that let Shane Falco know Coach McGinnis wanted him in the game.

Sorry you asked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:02 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
When constructing a sentence with eliptical dots one should use three dots when leaving out a word or words, but use four when leaving out a word or words and ending the sentence.

Here is an example of using three dots:

"When constructing a sentence with eliptical dots one should use three . . . when leaving out a word or words, but use four when leaving out a word or words and, at the same time, ending the sentence."

Here is an example of using four dots:

"John goes to the movies every Thursday and then goes home."

"John goes to the movies every Thursday . . . ."

I couldn't help notice, you, being the professional you are, used five elliptical dots and you did not do so to leave out any words or end a sentence.
Actually the fourth dot is supposed to be the period at the end of the sentence, so it is attached to the final word. Stop pretending to lecture people, Eusebius. You constantly get it wrong. Also, it's spelled "elliptical," but they're just called ellipses, not "elliptical dots."

Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A much-needed muscle found in the chest cavity. Something carved into trees by sweethearts. A band featuring the Wilson sisters. The focus of Matthew 5:8. The clue that let Shane Falco know Coach McGinnis wanted him in the game.

Sorry you asked?
And in the Hebrew Bible the heart represented the seat of intelligence, but in the New Testament, due to the influence of Greco-Roman worldviews, it became the seat of emotion. The Septuagint renders the Hebrew word for "heart" as "mind" in some places. Conceptualization is a critical aspect of interpretation and translation.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:22 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
I do read the Bible quite often, My preferences are:

KJV- First edition

Latin Vulgate

Douay-Rheims

New American Standard,

Although I often look at other versions.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O. McClellan View Post
And in the Hebrew Bible the heart represented the seat of intelligence, but in the New Testament, due to the influence of Greco-Roman worldviews, it became the seat of emotion. The Septuagint renders the Hebrew word for "heart" as "mind" in some places. Conceptualization is a critical aspect of interpretation and translation.
You're my new favorite poster.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:04 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Actually the fourth dot is supposed to be the period at the end of the sentence, so it is attached to the final word. Stop pretending to lecture people, Eusebius. You constantly get it wrong. Also, it's spelled "elliptical," but they're just called ellipses, not "elliptical dots."
And just how was my use of elliptical dots improper as I posted?

How was my fourth dot in my example not the end of the sentence? You aren't a very good reader, are you?

I work with elliptical dots on a daily basis. If I wrote "eliptical" it was just an oversight.

If I quote a writing: "John goes to the movie theater every Thursday, then goes home and drinks a beer, then goes to bed." and have it thus:

"John goes to the movie theater every Thursday . . . then goes to bed."

or

"John goes to the movie theater every Thursday . . . ." then I have used the elliptical dots just fine, thank you.

Stop trying to lecture people Daniel. You constantly get it wrong. I just feel so very sorry for those who follow you and believe what you write. For all of your education, you failed miserably in not understanding that the adjective modifies the noun. Even students just beginning to learn Greek know this grammar rule.

Now back to the OP:
I like reading the Alexandrinus, Vaticanus and Sinaiticus and the Concordant Literal New Testament. Why?
The three Greek manuscripts are the oldest, most complete uncial manuscripts.
The Concordant Literal New Testament is based on these three manuscripts along with miniscules.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
The above is not completely true.

Heart - Holman Bible Dictionary - Bible Dictionary - StudyLight.org

Old 11-04-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You should check out Bislama. I just returned from a trip to Vanuatu. If you know English you should be able to understand a lot of it. Here's John 1:1–3:
Whoops almost missed this! Glad I didn't. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
My favorite definition is "core of being" and I think "core" is at the heart of all the meanings.....

Old 11-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
And just how was my use of elliptical dots improper as I posted?

How was my fourth dot in my example not the end of the sentence? You aren't a very good reader, are you?
There was a space between the last letter of the end of the sentence and the first period of the ellipsis. Observe:

Wrong - "John goes to the movie theater every Thursday . . . ."

Right - "John goes to the movie theater every Thursday. . . ."

Quote:
I work with elliptical dots on a daily basis. If I wrote "eliptical" it was just an oversight.
You wrote it twice. That's a consistent oversight.

Quote:
If I quote a writing: "John goes to the movie theater every Thursday, then goes home and drinks a beer, then goes to bed." and have it thus:

"John goes to the movie theater every Thursday . . . then goes to bed."

or

"John goes to the movie theater every Thursday . . . ." then I have used the elliptical dots just fine, thank you.
No, you have to remove the space between the y at the end of "Thursday" and the period. It should be "Thursday. . . ."

Quote:
Stop trying to lecture people Daniel. You constantly get it wrong.
You've never been able to show I was wrong about anything at all. You can only insist that I'm wrong because you say so.

Quote:
I just feel so very sorry for those who follow you and believe what you write. For all of your education, you failed miserably in not understanding that the adjective modifies the noun. Even students just beginning to learn Greek know this grammar rule.
At no point have I ever given anyone the notion that I don't acknowledge that adjectives modify nouns. You insisted that I thought nouns modify adjectives because you misrepresented and/or misunderstood the reason for interpreting a specific Greek word.

Quote:
Now back to the OP:
I like reading the Alexandrinus, Vaticanus and Sinaiticus and the Concordant Literal New Testament.
You're lying. You cannot read Alexandrinus, Vaticanus, or Sinaiticus. You don't know Greek.

Quote:
Why?
The three Greek manuscripts are the oldest, most complete uncial manuscripts.
The Concordant Literal New Testament is based on these three manuscripts along with miniscules.
It's spelled "minuscules."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity