Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 06:02 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

What are your views on two people, who are not married, sleeping in the same bed holding each other yet not having 'sex?' Is this a sin - a form of sexual expression, unwise, nothing wrong with it - just a form of expressing friendship, or something else? Curious how the Christian community sees this activity. I have heard of some people, religious and non-religious, do this but have not heard much about why it is ok or not ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
What are your views on two people, who are not married, sleeping in the same bed holding each other yet not having 'sex?' Is this a sin - a form of sexual expression, unwise, nothing wrong with it - just a form of expressing friendship, or something else? Curious how the Christian community sees this activity. I have heard of some people, religious and non-religious, do this but have not heard much about why it is ok or not ok.
Stupid behavior, as placing oneself in the path of Temptation is not wise nor a good example to others.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
I do not see how this would be wrong. Two people who care about each other showing their love for each other can not possibly be a sin. If this is a sin I am going to hell I guess.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:14 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Stupid behavior, as placing oneself in the path of Temptation is not wise nor a good example to others.
That's what I would have said when I was a Christian yet I heard some (guys even) say it was comforting and they liked it and were able to enjoy it without the need for sex.

Thanks for your response!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
lmao ... it will lead to something more often than not. But let the young be young I guess, just don't ask the old to pay for the mistake.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
What are your views on two people, who are not married, sleeping in the same bed holding each other yet not having 'sex?'
Perfectly normal, and healthy, for a parent and child. Especially if the child has had a nightmare and needs to be reassured.

Of course, few people will think of that scenario and will, instead, think about sex since this is the Christianity forum.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:42 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Perfectly normal, and healthy, for a parent and child. Especially if the child has had a nightmare and needs to be reassured.
Of course, few people will think of that scenario and will, instead, think about sex since this is the Christianity forum.
Ha! I was thinking of non-related persons.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 11-15-2014 at 07:56 PM..

Old 11-15-2014, 07:24 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Stupid behavior, as placing oneself in the path of Temptation is not wise...
Not to bait you, but I'm quite curious. Why do you have so little faith in yourself? I see this sort of thing a lot in Christians, and I'm really puzzled by it. Why can't you just trust yourselves to make good decisions and act in accordance with your beliefs? Why do you have to avoid temptations - can't you just resist them?

This is a sincere question; I'm genuinely curious. Not trying to bash anyone or mock you; just trying to get some insight into the thought process here.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:11 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,873 times
Faith in ones self is setting ones self up for a trial, imo. The principle is "lead us not into temptation". God knows What we are able to resist or not. I'm less certain than Him what I could resist, but wouldn't want the aftermath of a bad decision, hence prefer just to accept His ordering of lifes circumstances, and a little living by internal unwtitten rules, which can all be allegorized and internalised, eg. Take David and Bathsheba. He could have stopped entertaining his 'ideas' at any point in time, but one thing led to another, indeed, even getting rid of her husband, so he could get what he wanted. Mind you, you could also say, shew knew what she was doing, bathing naked on the rooftop, in eye shot of the king. God knew what was going on in both their heads for sure.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:23 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
So what you're saying is that you have so little self-control, you're unable to trust yourself to make responsible decisions. So you put yourself in positions where you don't have to make the decisions, because that's the only way to make good choices. Why is it so hard to just say, "Nope. That would be wrong, I'm not going to do it."

It's like instead of just exercising the self-control to not open the cookie jar and grab a handful of oreos, you just stay out of any room that might possibly have a cookie jar in it. I have a weakness for ice cream, and I always have some around the house. It's not good for me, so I only eat it once or twice a month. But I can't imagine feeling the need to throw out the ice cream just because I'd afraid I can't stop myself from eating it. Just making the decision to not eat it seems to work just fine; I can't imagine why I'd need have the choice taken away from me altogether just to save myself from myself.

Pardon me for saying so, but this way of living suggests a very low self-esteem and inability to control one's impulses. I'd hate to go through life having such a poor opinion of myself and my capabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity