Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 AM

802 posts, read 454,093 times

Advertisements

From an op-ed in the Jerusalem Post. Is the author correct?

"Exodus is embarrassing to archaeologists. The Exodus is so fundamental to us and our Jewish sources that it is embarrassing that there is no evidence outside of the Bible to support it. So we prefer not to talk about it, and hate to be asked about it."

"For the account in the Torah is the basis of our people’s creation, it is the basis of our existence and it is the basis of our important Passover festival and the whole Haggada that we recite on the first evening of this festival of freedom. So that makes archaeologists reluctant to have to tell our brethren and ourselves that there is nothing in Egyptian records to support it. Nothing on the slavery of the Israelites, nothing on the plagues that persuaded Pharaoh to let them go, nothing on the miraculous crossing of the Red Sea, nothing."

The Exodus: Does archaeology have a say?

Last edited by Aristotle's Child; 11-21-2014 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: question added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:14 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Just a quick search brought this up from Ancient Egypt: Slavery, its causes and practice :
"The successful defence against the Sea Peoples resulted in large numbers of slaves as well, when whole wandering peoples were defeated and captured. The following, somewhat generalizing and possibly exaggerated report describes the exploits of Ramses III "

I think there is good reason to think that ancestors of the Hebrews were captured and enslaved in Egypt. Numbers and circumstances of their release certainly have legendary elements.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM

110 posts, read 104,195 times
I'm going to a funeral this morning. I expect their will be a eulogy. I'm guessing the eulogy will list many of the achievements of my friend's life. I also suspect there will be little to no mention of failures.

If the primary source for Egyptian history is the writings found on their tombs and temples I'm not sure one should expect mention of the events surrounding the exodus.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 AM

23,163 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post

"Exodus is embarrassing to archaeologists. The Exodus is so fundamental to us and our Jewish sources that it is embarrassing that there is no evidence outside of the Bible to support it. So we prefer not to talk about it, and hate to be asked about it."

"For the account in the Torah is the basis of our people’s creation, it is the basis of our existence and it is the basis of our important Passover festival and the whole Haggada that we recite on the first evening of this festival of freedom. So that makes archaeologists reluctant to have to tell our brethren and ourselves that there is nothing in Egyptian records to support it. Nothing on the slavery of the Israelites, nothing on the plagues that persuaded Pharaoh to let them go, nothing on the miraculous crossing of the Red Sea, nothing."

Josephus proved the Exodus 2000 years ago by taking Egyptian records to do it.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
Just something additional to nateswift's post..

It is interesting to note that that there are scenes in the tomb of Rekhmire the vizier who was the highest ranking official to Tuthmosis III and Amenhotep II in the 15th century BCE showing slaves mixing water and mud while a seated Egyptian oversees the work. The slaves are described in research as 'Nubian and Semitic' but not Hebrew. Archaeologists cannot say that they are 'Hebrew' as such. But the scenes do point to a strong conjecture that it's likely the same scenes do play out with the Israelite experience as well.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:37 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:

Generally the Egyptians did not write of their failures and later Pharaohs many times erased anything they did not like from the past. Makes sense there would be no direct reference in anything Egyptian.

Kinda like how many US buildings praise the Tories (Loyal to Britain) who won every battle they fought against the rebels (the winners) in the "revolutionary War". The Rebels only won once they had outside help. Now where is that written on a Government building?

Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Just a quick search brought this up from Ancient Egypt: Slavery, its causes and practice :
"The successful defence against the Sea Peoples resulted in large numbers of slaves as well, when whole wandering peoples were defeated and captured. The following, somewhat generalizing and possibly exaggerated report describes the exploits of Ramses III "

I think there is good reason to think that ancestors of the Hebrews were captured and enslaved in Egypt. Numbers and circumstances of their release certainly have legendary elements.
RESPONSE:

Please note that you article makes no reference to Hebrew slaves.

"There are three Pharaohs who said they got rid of the hated foreigners, but nothing to say who the foreigners were, and no Pharaoh is named as having persecuted foreign slaves or suffered unspeakable plagues"

Think logically.

The Bible says that the Hebrews were in Egypt for 400 years. At the time of the Exodus the Hebrews
are reported to have 600,000 fighting men their wives and children. (Of course not all the men were solders, so their were more than 600,000 men). Conervatively then, the Hebrew population was about 2,000,000, or about 1/3 of the total population of Egypt at that time. They are said to have spend 40 years in the desert.

Yet absolutely no Egyptian writing records their presence. And no archaeological footprint (ie graves, broken pottery, inscriptions, etc.) of the Hebrews have ever been found.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post
I'm going to a funeral this morning. I expect their will be a eulogy. I'm guessing the eulogy will list many of the achievements of my friend's life. I also suspect there will be little to no mention of failures.

If the primary source for Egyptian history is the writings found on their tombs and temples I'm not sure one should expect mention of the events surrounding the exodus.
RESPONSE: While the Egyptians did keep extensive records, these are hardly the only source of information. Some archaeological evidence of 2 million people would exist. It doesn't.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
RESPONSE: While the Egyptians did keep extensive records, these are hardly the only source of information. Some archaeological evidence of 2 million people would exist. It doesn't.
What would you expect to find. There would be no slave quarters, signs,etc and the Egyptians may well have lumped them in with a larger group so no direct mention either. What would be available to an archeologist?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
There is evidence in the real Mountain Sinai which is located in Saudi Arabia , and the mountain is called today Jebel el Lawz and the earth works and supernatural mountain that is burnt from within by the foot of the essence of God , and the earth works show a tabernacle in the wilderness settlement which pillars that are biblical and it is located near the elim oasis in the far side of the Red Sea......., But the site is restricted by the Saudi Arabia government because this site is an embarrassment to have a Jewish historical site on their land ......The Jerusalem Post is wrong or ignorant ..Do a internet search on Mount Jebel el lawz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity