Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:12 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I used to pray and i never got what i wanted but some other people claim all their prayers get answered.

I had faith it would happen,but it never came to be.
It was also not anything that might be considered materialistic.
I was also living like i was supposed to,trying to not sin as often.

So what happened?

Why do some peopl get EVERYTHING They want and others do not?
Awwww jerseygal, I know how you feel. I'm sorry you feel let down by the answers you are receiving when you pray.

Here's the thing, God really does answer every prayer.

It's just that sometimes his answers are not the answers we want to hear.

It can be so hard to trust that his "no" answers are in our best interests, especially when we, or someone we love, is suffering.

Just know that God sees what you are going through, and he will honor your faithfulness to him.

Don't measure your own blessings against those of anyone else, it's not a contest. It's just that sometimes God's bigger plan requires going in another direction than we might want to go in right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 08:20 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The solution is not to pray for what you want - pray to give thanks for what you have.
Good one, Mr. Non-Christian.

Even outside of faith, practicing gratitude is considered healthy.

OP, I understand what you are saying, and prepackaged answers and glib bible-verse quotes tossed off the top of the head won't make you feel any better. The part you left out is that you see some people getting everything that you would like to have. For example, some people have private jets. I don't particularly want one of those, so I wouldn't be envious of them. I HAVE, however, been envious of people who have marriages and multiple children and nice houses and free time to do things they like to do, things I have prayed for and did not get. I've also gotten some good things I didn't ever want that other people might have prayed for, such as a pretty decent job/career. I do have a small condo, that it took me until I was 52 to buy, and a practical car that I can afford to pay for and keep up. I have a daughter who is doing well. I am thankful for those things.

We don't know why we don't get what we prayed for. Those of us who believe in God understand that he doesn't have to do or give a damn thing he doesn't want to. If he wants to pay everyone who worked an hour the same wage as everyone who worked eight, he gets to. We've been told that.

It's hard to look at people who seemingly get everything in life we would like to have just by snapping their fingers. Things come easy to some people, and for some of us, nothing comes easy, and we don't even get the courtesy of an explanation. Sometimes it frankly feels as though there's just something about me that God doesn't like. Yet, I still believe, and I cannot say exactly why because it's not something that can be explained in words

So, I've stopped asking. I pray for others, and I do sometimes see those prayers answered. When I do pray for myself, I mostly now just ask for guidance. What should I do about X, Y, or Z? I do find that those prayers are answered. The directions come one way or another. An atheist would say I opened my mind up to possibilities by uttering such a prayer, and perhaps they are not wrong.

Lastly, for everyone's entertainment, I am in the process of digging through old papers and whatnot in an attempt to rid myself of the excess crap in my condo that has accumulated over the past four years. This morning I came across a list of things I was praying for about two years ago, things for myself. I asked for a relationship, for freedom from debt, for the opportunity to retire from the job I have and find something with a less painful commute. I also asked for freedom from fear of going to doctors, because I had not been to a doctor in years. I had an irrational fear of all things medical-related, and setting an appointment for a basic checkup would send me into a tailspin of anxiety attacks for days before.

The only answered prayer on my list is the last one. About a year and a half ago, I discovered that I had a rare thyroid disease that was causing a cement-like substance to form in my throat. It had surrounded my carotid artery and my trachea and was slowly strangling me to death. When I talked, you could hear me gasping for air. It was treated, and I'm better now, but after surgery, medical procedures where they stuck ugly things up my nose and down my throat, needles, and all the tests that needed to be done, I've lost my fear of doctors.

God has a wicked sense of humor. Choose carefully what you pray for.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:51 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,324 times
One of the problems is people ask for things but not in the name of the Son of God. People think the name of the Son of God is Jesus. Not so.

John 14:13 "Anything you ask in my name I will do so the Father may be glorified in the Son."

Old 11-25-2014, 02:18 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
"Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you. Mark 11:24

I cannot read this verse of scripture in any other way than........ When you pray, believe you have what you pray for and it will be yours.

Jesus taught us to pray our desires to God, we are also told to pray in faith, how can you pray in faith beleving you are receiving(or to be scriptual "received" your request)for anything if you do not know whether it is the will of God or not.

You can dispute all day long what desires are but Jesus taught the secret to answered prayer in this verse by saying believe you have received what you ask for, not believe you will, or believe if God says yes, but believe when you pray you HAVE received it, in other words go in faith knowing it is done.
It's notable that no one addressed this verse. This demonstrates the inconsistencies in the Bible and the excuses people give for not having received a positive answer to prayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
God gave you what you needed, not what you wanted.
Then, what is the need for prayer? Should God not already know what you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Or as I often said, prayer isn't like having your own prescription in hand and God being the dutiful pharmacist obligated to fill it.

Plus, I don't know if it is completely accurate to say the some people get "everything" ... even if one does all the "necessary's".
It still comes down to "not my will but thine be done".
Again, why ask God for anything? If it's not his will, why would he grant anyone anything? If it IS his will, why does one need to ask for it?

Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
.. some other people claim all their prayers get answered.
It's been my experience that people who claim that are delusional. Or trying to sell something.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:51 PM

802 posts, read 454,093 times
John 14:13 "Anything you ask in my name I will do so the Father may be glorified in the Son."

If it's not so, maybe Jesus tells fibs. Ya think?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:46 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post

If it's not so, maybe Jesus tells fibs. Ya think?
The name Jesus is His earthly name not His divine name. Notice in the scripture below the name is the name of the Father which is given to the son.

Jesus said;

(Father)" I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do.
So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.
"I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.
Now they know that everything you have given me is from you;
for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me.
I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours.
All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them.
And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are once.
While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,640 times
When I was a kid, I prayed many times for a bicycle but to no avail. So I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.

(I stole the joke too.)

Old 11-25-2014, 09:42 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Jerseygal4u, it is about seeking God's will, as someone else has shared. God knows what we need and isn't necessarily about what we want. Are we willing to say, not my will, Father, but Your will? God knows what is best for us, even if we may not see the benefit or understand it right now. Trust Him in all things. God bless.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:55 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
I believe His word is his will, and His word IS Spirit & Life, His will BE done on earth AS IT IN "In heaven".

Jesus gave very precise details on how to pray AND receive and to see things happen, to the point where where he used the illustration of moving mountains( the seemingly impossible) could be moved not if it was his will, but if we doubted not and had faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity