Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
So then you patiently listen to the Jehovah's witness who rings your doorbell, I presume? They are among the most zealous, and while I'm not rude to them, I do find them a bit intrusive.
I invite them in for coffee and snacks. One day I invited two Mormons in, had hot coffee brewing and a nice cigar. We sat out back discussing theology for awhile before they asked 2-3 times when did I leave the church.
Told them I was never a member and they asked some other question which I quickly deferred to my wife for an answer.
They looked as if satan herself was about to speak and asked how I could ever allow a woman to speak for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:31 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
This is common with a lot of reborn Christians. The best thing you can do is tell him he really needs to tone it down.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seems to be the reaction many people have upon "discovering" God / "salvation."

They feel compelled to share with EVERYONE. Something to do with the over rated passage of being witness to the whole entire world.

Give it time. As Joseph Smith was so fond of saying, THIS TOO SHALL PASS...
The zeal should never pass, better control of it is part of spiritual growth. If the zeal dies, it either was not real or they are drifting away.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
I've never had this happen to me, but his enthusiasm is understandable. For the New Christian, their eyes are open and they see Christ and their salvation. They are filled with joy and hope and look forward to Jesus return. But they also see a whole lot of folks on their way to hell, and because of their love for their friends, they keep trying to reach them so that they can also be saved. It truly is sad and hard sometimes to interact with the world and see how many will end up eternally damned.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:25 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
I invite them in for coffee and snacks. One day I invited two Mormons in, had hot coffee brewing and a nice cigar. We sat out back discussing theology for awhile before they asked 2-3 times when did I leave the church.
Told them I was never a member and they asked some other question which I quickly deferred to my wife for an answer.
They looked as if satan herself was about to speak and asked how I could ever allow a woman to speak for me.
Well, I waan't there and you were, but I've still got to say that I really doubt your story ever happened the way you said it did. I say this because it is extremely unlikely that any Mormon man would make such a remark -- about how you could ever allow a woman to speak for you. I mean it's just so out-of-character that it sounds nothing short of preposterous to the average Mormon. And why would they look at her as if she was Satan? Mormons don't see anything Satanic about women.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:17 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times
I don't know about women speaking in church, but I am always offended with women who think they have the right to speak in Battlefield 3, call of duty, Halo, and don't even let one get in a chopper, but they should not speak.

Sing it, you know the words.

It's a Man's world Baby, but nobody puts Baby in a corner, but it's still a man's world.

Step away from the Huey, you will never be a skid killer, don't even pretend, SHHHHH!

Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
A friend/acquaintance of mine converted to Christianity not too long ago (I am not a Christian). At first I was supportive, but now he won't stop trying to preach to everyone and it's getting on my (and others) nerves. We asked him to tone it down a bit, and so he did, but he still preaches at everyone but now without directly mentioning Jesus/God and also making veiled remarks about how we don't like him preaching all the time.

It's just something that bothers me because, while I am happy he's found his faith, he's very new to Christianity and already thinks he can dispense wisdom and sage advice to others about it; but it's all re-hashed cookie cutter sayings that you'd find on the back of a sugar packet. The only time I'm not irritated is when he just quotes the bible directly!

Has this ever happened to you, where a newly converted Christian became preachy and arrogant about it? How do you handle it? I'm sure eventually he'll get more comfortable with his new spirituality, but in the meantime I'm not sure how to deal with it. I'd be interested to hear both Christian and non-Christian views.
This is pretty common. You may just have to wait it out, but you do have the right to be firm and set your own boundaries as to how much you are going to listen to.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why? If it's the greatest news possible, why not try to share it with anyone? The stranger certainly has the right to walk away.
This guy isn't a stranger. It's his friend the OP is talking about.

It's just an immaturity in the faith, that's all. I remember reading a story by a man who had discovered Christ while living in Europe, and when he came home he called his best friend and said, "You have to give your life to Christ, right now!" His non-believing friend's response was "No, thanks, please shut up", and the guy said he was bewildered as to why everyone wouldn't want to hear this wonderful truth he was spouting.

Twenty years later, he wrote that he realized what he was lacking in his message was compassion for the person he was preaching to. It was all about HIM and what HE felt, but he was not taking into consideration the feelings or point of view of the person he was trying to convert--he was just preaching words, not love.

He said as years passed and his best friend saw the change in him and the peace he gained as he deepened his own faith, eventually he became drawn to Christ and did become a Christian. But getting whacked over the head with it didn't work. It never does.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
How foolish of Jesus to have done that. Right?
Jesus's love and compassion is what drew people to him. Anyone can get up in the public square and start yammering out their message. Without love, it's just banging gongs and clanging cymbals.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Why on earth would you have hot coffee brewing and a nice cigar when entertaining people who don't use caffeine or smoke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity