Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:35 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times

Advertisements

There is an old Cherokee/Russian/African/what have you, story about two dogs. The White Dog is about the things that grow the positive within us. The stuff that makes us closer to God, or if you will, the Great Spirit since I know that this a parable that also comes from North American Indian teachings.

The Black Dog is about the stuff that makes us less close to God or Christ. We have the choice to feed the White or Black Dog. That which we feed becomes stronger in ourselves, while the other one gets weaker.

The question is to C-D folk in this section. Does being here feed the White or Black Dog in your spirit? Esp when you wander to the R&P section.

Tell us which and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
To be honest with you - I could never just feed one dog! I would have to feed them both! I'm a dog lover. And my dog has brought so much love, tenderness, playfulness, and purity in my life that I could never see a dog as making me worse as a person. I know this was supposed to be a metaphor - but I can't get past the dogs! I love dogs!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Again judgment based on exterior color, but isn't this such a pervasive theme throughout religion, intolerance or fear of those that are different.

Dogs don't care about the color of the other dog, why do you?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Again judgment based on exterior color, but isn't this such a pervasive theme throughout religion, intolerance or fear of those that are different.

Dogs don't care about the color of the other dog, why do you?
Over one's head is the only response I can say.

Step outside of the box.

Do you feed that which is helpful or hurtful is the point of the parable. Light, darkness. Good, Bad. Does that help??? Geez.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,161,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Step outside of the box.

Do you feed that which is helpful or hurtful is the point of the parable. Light, darkness. Good, Bad. Does that help??? Geez.
To be honest, I would say that sometimes it's not that easy to tell the difference. There have been many times when I thought something was bad for me and it turned out to be good for me. And vice versa. I just go with my heart and take one day at a time. I try to see the good in everything and everybody- until I'm forced to see the bad. Then I try to just walk away.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Quote:

Step outside of the box.

The box has you completely oblivious to the fact you have chosen the black dog to be the negative force, why is that? Your subconscious associates black with bad or negative, a christian value? Bibles usually have a black cover

Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The box has you completely oblivious to the fact you have chosen the black dog to be the negative force, why is that? Your subconscious associates black with bad or negative, a christian value? Bibles usually have a black cover
Wow, just answer the question.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:21 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,642 times
Quote:
There is an old Cherokee/Russian/African/what have you, story about two dogs. The White Dog is about the things that grow the positive within us. The stuff that makes us closer to God, or if you will, the Great Spirit since I know that this a parable that also comes from North American Indian teachings.

The Black Dog is about the stuff that makes us less close to God or Christ. We have the choice to feed the White or Black Dog. That which we feed becomes stronger in ourselves, while the other one gets weaker.

The question is to C-D folk in this section. Does being here feed the White or Black Dog in your spirit? Esp when you wander to the R&P section.

Tell us which and why.
It depends on the day. Mostly, I'm learning and studying, so all the debates really help me. When I become frustrated trying to make a point, and people are not really listening and are ignoring each other, then I get cranky, so I have to back off.

Black and white.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
I perceive that the SPIRIT is not a respecter of persons.
So, that which you feed is the source of your strength.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,759,115 times
Quote:

Tell us which and why.

In orthodox Judaism there is something similar ... Yetzer HaTov and Yetzer HaRa, or the good inclination and the evil inclination. However, in judaism the greater the inclination of a person for Good, the greater the inclination of the person for evil in equal measure.

That is to say ...
Quote:
Greatness does not necessarily render a human being immune from the power of the yeẓer ha-ra, which manifests itself in such traits as vindictiveness and avarice (Sif. Deut. 33), anger (Shab. 105b), and vanity (Gen. R. 22:6). In fact, the greater the man, the stronger are such tendencies apt to be in him.

from Inclination, Good and Evil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity